A Highly Respectable Message from Budweiser

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Smokingtony, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Agreed. There's nothing about a 30 pack that is any less responsible than a 22-oz bomber of 8+% craft beer. The Bud 30-rack at least gives people the option to drink smaller amounts, whereas the bomber does not (unless you're sharing).

Also, let's not forget this recent poll where 7% of our community self-identified as drinking to get drunk most or all of the time. http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-often-do-you-get-drunk.55938/

I'm sure there are plenty of people in this community that deserve to talked down to and chastised by "an old hag" (not my words) just as much as the Budweiser drinkers. If people are getting sensitive and worked up by this PSA ad, I think that says more about uncomfortable aspects of this hobby and ourselves that many prefer to ignore, than the contents of the ad or who made it.

Norica, LuskusDelph, TCJ0100 and 11 others like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Let me dissect it for you: "Nice and cold." Alluding to how much she's going to appreciate drinking this fine, American beer."
    Me, pointing out that her lips never touched the bottle, alluding to the observation that there was no way in hell she was ever going to let that fine, American beer into her throat.

Clear now? Make better sense to you now that I took away all of the innuendo and subtlety? Bet you have a ball at comedy clubs. :rolling_eyes:

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

She was also Morgana in Excalibur - such a sexy wicked witch :slight_smile:

4. Smokingtony

Smokingtony Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Texas

Clearly, you know the personal preferences of the actress with respect to the beer that she does or does not drink.

5. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Did she drink it?

Smokingtony likes this.
  6. Ericness

Ericness Zealot (622) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Sell outs! I've removed the word "no" from my vocabulary, they can't tell me what to do!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Smokingtony likes this.
  7. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,553) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I find demanding older British women to be hot.....
    Helen Mirran - pretty hot for her age:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

creepinjeeper likes this.
  8. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone who's seen "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" knows that Helen Mirren advocates cannibalism.
    It's a commercial with an actress! These reactions are strange.

9. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

In the early 90s, my brother and I would buy a keg's worth of beer and said, "great, we're set for the semester." Kegs varied by semester, but other than one Sam Adams, I won't admit to what the rest were.

10. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

We are quite capable of doing stupid shit without needing to be drunk.We are just better at it after having a few pints.
    See the ER rooms on a Friday and Saturday nights.

11. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Maven (1,336) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

All Inbev hate aside, that's a pretty funny commercial.

WAY better than the frat-bros-crushing-BL-Lime shtick we usually get. Which I'm sure will still be there.

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

A bit of ‘spirited’ discussion on why Helen Mirren didn’t take a swig of beer from the bottle. It turns out that in TV commercials they choose to not show the beer being consumed; this is not a Helen Mirren thing.

“Television commercials for beer are the only advertisements that never show anyone consuming the product. This is not a legal requirement. It's a holdover from the old Television Code system of the private organization and Television industry political lobbying group, The National Association of Broadcasters. The Television Code was a self-imposed censorship system for making sure stations only ran programs which weren't offensive and followed typical middle-class views, and existed until the late 1970s when stations started to run much edgier fare that wasn't necessarily permitted by the code. Sort of like what happened when comic book publishers decided to drop out of The Comics Code or the way mainstream movie studios stopped following The Hays Code.

The television code had a restriction that an ad for beer (and possibly hard liquor) could not show someone drinking the product. While the code is long since dead, most stations still won't run beer ads where it shows the product being consumed, so as a result, to this day, beer makers do not show their product being consumed in their television commercials.”

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/BeerCommercials

Cheers!

JoeBloe, TCJ0100, mwa423 and 4 others like this.
  13. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There's been little mention of context - that this is a Super Bowl ad. The more "traditional" Bud Super Bowl spots usually (and ridiculously) generate so much disdain around here. Now they've spent millions to create a spot that is against drunk driving... and it will air during one of the most problematic drunk driving days of the year. That might be money well spent in comparison. Who cares if it's transparent or hypocritical or whatever.

14. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Well, now, don't we all feel silly! :flushed:

(Some of us, anyway....)

15. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Is craft beer responsible for how many drinks an individual has before driving? That's like saying that the gun industry is responsible for homicides involving guns
    Four Bud Lights, a couple of 7.5% IPA's or a Bourbon what's the difference? Driving drunk is driving drunk and I don't care WTF they're drinking but it's certainly not the responsibility of the industry.

I thought the message was loud and clear, don't be an ass and drive drunk

LuskusDelph likes this.
  16. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I don't care that much for her either. Funny that.

lester619 likes this.
  17. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Pundit (771) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

This is my problem with drunk driving laws.

The vast majority of the population doesn't have access to a device that measures, for all intents and purposes, an arbitrary number (blood alcohol content). The only way to truly gauge how much affect BAC has on ones ability to operate a motor vehicle is by a test that can determine if they are actually "impaired" to the point where they can't safely operate the vehicle. Some can "handle their alcohol" better than others.

If someone causes an accident while driving they should be held accountable for their actions but not be punished for the content of their blood. A "buzzed" driver, by BAC, can be a far more attentive and careful driver than the 17 year old texting while driving, the 85 yr old blue hair, the tired driver, the angry driver, etc etc.

18. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

First Budweiser commercial I've enjoyed in a while. Good on them, if anyone caught it they are donating money with the use of the #GiveADamn hashtag too. I'm still not drinking their macro beers, but hey give credit where it's due, they are spending a tonne of money for this ad.

Friendlyfire likes this.
  19. gibgink

gibgink Pooh-Bah (1,581) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Trader

You are so right! A "drink responsibly/don't drive drunk" commercial is PR garbage. According to your logic, it would be PR garbage if it came from MADD as well. Except MADD doesn't have the kind of money to throw around and get a message like this out during the Super Bowl.

LuskusDelph and Friendlyfire like this.
  20. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

"Old hag" probably wasn't the most delicate way to get my point across. I wasn't trying to be needlessly offensive. While we are pretty much 100% anti drunk driving, the delivery of the message just touched a nerve for some reason. And I would still love to do some research and find out what her lifestyle was circa 1970.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.