Deschutes uses 116% renewable energy

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pat61, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

2. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

You can sell it back to the utility.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In many if not all states, electric utilities are required to accept excess power from consumers and credit them for it. If you put up a windmill, solar panels, generator, or fuel cell then you can have it hooked up so that it provides your power and excess goes back into the grid.

larryarms847 likes this.
  4. jjboesen

jjboesen Pooh-Bah (2,054) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

So long as they make great beer, I don't care if they burn Styrofoam and puppy blood.

nlethbridge likes this.
  5. qchic

qchic Maven (1,303) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

I shall raise a Fresh Squeezed IPA to them!

Pretty much every brewery I've visited has invested in being green--another reason I enthusiastically support craft beer.

6. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

Yep, that's how it is in Illinois, I didn't want to generalize because I'm not sure of Oregon's laws.

7. Phil-Fresh

Phil-Fresh Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

Would just like to add - while what you say is correct, "adding green to a grid means less non-green energy" - that conclusion is dependent on the time of day. More often, renewable power (sun and wind) does not displace non-green power, it displaces other renewable power that happens to be producing during that period (i.e. think really sunny or windy periods). ...Now if you could cost-effectively store it that would be another thing. Yes, totally aware of his Musk's fancy batteries, but they are not close to being affordable - just like Teslas (so far anyway).

8. Phil-Fresh

Phil-Fresh Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

You are definitely right my man, Deschutes is totally using other energy at times! The sun is not always shining and it is not always windy. Batteries in theory work, but are not at all cost-effective yet. Even fuel cells like a Bloom Box would not be able to cover all power needs (that not sure the chemistry of some of these fuel cell devices is truly green)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.