Bell's Hopslam 2016

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by JonB25, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoudownwithABV

YoudownwithABV Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2013 Tennessee

It's available in the Memphis market as of 02/09/16.

2. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

Picked up a 6 pack. I just don't love this beer anymore. Still perfectly good as long as you know you're getting a booze, sweet and malty IPA.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  3. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

On the other side of the coin, I've traded for some NE beers over the past 6-9 months and have the complete opposite opinion. I don't think they're bad, but I don't see them being any better than what I'm already drinking around here (and don't have to pay shipping for). But, that is what makes it so great - different stuff out there for everybody.

Uconnelmo and red94tt like this.
  4. DesMoinesMike

DesMoinesMike Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 Iowa

Arrived in Des Moines yesterday, 20.99 a sixer. To be honest this batch was a letdown. Almost no nose or hop profile. It was canned 2/2 so it's still fresh. I'm considering taking the other 5 cans back to the store.

5. bigbadwanger

bigbadwanger Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2015 Iowa

not worth the $.

6. red94tt

red94tt Pundit (945) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Limited availability and a high overall rating will result in that. I mean look at you....you recently waited 5+ hours in line for a brew that fits a similar description: Hazel's Nuts

7. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan

I understand where you are coming from, but Hopslam is a widely distributed and easily available beer that can be found on the shelf over the period of a month or so, Hazel's nuts is a brewery only release that sold out in a few hours. I would not call those similar descriptions. This year's run of Hopslam likely exceeded the total output of Oddside for an entire year.

8. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Bought a sixer last week - $16.99, I believe. I only managed to score two bottles last year and none the year before that, so my history with Hopslam doesn't go too far back, but I think this year's beer is really, really nice. Yes, you have to know what you're getting into. A classic Midwest DIPA: high alcohol, good amount of malt sweetness, more East Coasty in terms of the flavor, and not a ton of hop bitterness. That said, I think it's a wonderful beer and worth the dough once a year. I'll happily be enjoying my last few cans.

9. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll probably pass on Hopslam this year unless a few cans show up in the singles cooler. I doubt that'll happen.

TonyJ815 and matcris like this.
  10. red94tt

red94tt Pundit (945) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Yea, I don't think Hopslam is distributed in a quantity that allows it to sit in most places for a month or so. One of my local stores sold out of HS in 20 minutes, the other in an hour.

The amount that Bells sends out dwarfs what Oddside did with Hazel's, you are correct, but it's also spread to a much larger footprint than just the one city that Oddside resides in (for their brewery only release). Quantities of production aside, they are both only offered for a small/short window and they have a high demand/large following so yes, I would still refer to it as a similar (not exact) situation.

11. phishgator

phishgator Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Florida

It showed up in SWFL this morning. Fort Myers Total Wine and More and also at the ABC Liquors south US 41.

matcris likes this.
  12. Uconnelmo

Uconnelmo Savant (1,133) Jan 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

What have you had a chance to try?

13. Adenn1

Adenn1 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting and Weis Market in East Norriton each had a case or two arrive yesterday. At $24 for a six pack I will pass...it's good...but too many other DIPA's out there for much less and just as good.

OGShotzy likes this.
  14. runondirt

runondirt Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2015 New Jersey

not bad at all. not as malty as some. actually great nose imo. definitely overpriced at 4.50 a can tho compared to what else i can get around here for less.

15. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

Available in pittsburgh, $16-$18 for a sixer...fairly limited and going fast.

16. matcris

matcris Pooh-Bah (2,071) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

Manager at a Total Wine let me open a 6 pack and grab a couple singles....worth a shot, maybe?

dcotom likes this.
  17. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've had Heady, SoS (and their session version), and Lights On. I think I got a couple others in trades, too, but can't recall. I think I've learned with beers like these, it's just not worth the shipping, etc. with trading for them, when there is beer just as good IMO nearby.

red94tt likes this.
  18. cello

cello Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

picked it up at a local distributor that has to purchase through Shangy's in the Lehigh Valley area. PA pricing tends to suck. I believe his cost was $70.

19. Uconnelmo

Uconnelmo Savant (1,133) Jan 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

lights on is probably one of my least favorite from treehouse, heady is pretty overrated as well imo sip of sunshine is a great beer but not after a month old.
    We will have to get some better treehouse,trillium,hill farmstead, out to ya

#419 Uconnelmo, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  20. Tbone2131

Tbone2131 Pundit (878) Nov 17, 2014 Connecticut

Deccicos in Brewster, NY. $20 and going quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.