Huell Melon Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CADETS3, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

I'm planning on doing a Saison this weekend that will have cacao nibs and strawberries. I planned on using about 3 oz of Huell Melon Hops at the end of the boil.
    .4oz Nelson @20
    1oz @ 10
    1oz @ 5
    1oz @ 0

I plan on using WLP 565. In the secondary, I will add the cacao nibs and about 2# of quartered, frozen, and thawed strawberries. Back to the hops...Have you guys used this hop much? I read from the manufacturer that it gives a melon and strawberry aroma. I'd love to get a nice hoppy/fruity aroma from this hop while also having the real strawberries in there. What has been your experience with this hop? Do my additions seem like overkill? Thanks and cheers!!

2. AlHounos

AlHounos Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 California

Cacao in a hoppy saison just doesn't sound good to me. Usually, less is more.

The hops sound good, but i don't think you'll taste much from 2lbs of strawberries in 5 gallons. I'd personally skip them, but if you really want to, I think you'll need to add at least 2 pounds per gallon, if not more, to get noticeable flavor from them. 10lbs of strawberries deserve better than being buried in a beer, IMO. Make a simple syrup and dose in the glass if you want strawberry flavor.

MrOH, zizouandyuki and Seacoastbrewer like this.
  3. chavinparty

chavinparty Zealot (641) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I personally love strawberries but I don't like them in beer. Hull melon hops are very subtle. And more as the name describes like a melon rind. The hop concept hull melon blanc is a great beer to try if you can find it.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

This ^^^. I'd skip the nibs

JackHorzempa and Evahflow like this.
  5. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Huell Melon has a honeydew melon taste and not much strawberry. Belma is the most strawberry-ish hop I've used.

cmmcdonn and chavinparty like this.
  6. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Totally agree both on the nibs and strawberry flavoring. Way easier (and significantly cheaper) to make a simple syrup and dose when you drink than risk the entire batch. I also have heard it takes A LOT of strawberries to get any significant flavor. I haven't brewed with them so knock yourself out.

Also you may consider losses to trub and the general PITA of getting the strawberries in and out of your beer. All the same, take pictures and report back!

7. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Pooh-Bah (1,912) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

You have a few different streams of thought happening. I'd save the strawberry and nibs for a darker beer and a different hop. Can't really imagine the idea on top of that yeast character.

8. chavinparty

chavinparty Zealot (641) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I brewed a single hop Belma beer that was so strawberry like I found it unpleasant. My girlfriend loved it and still talks about it but I had decided it must have been an off flavor. Happy to hear that you've had the same experience. Just looked back at my recipe 3 oz Belma at the end of the boil and 6 oz dry hops for 7 days. If you want strawberry I guess that'll do it

#8 chavinparty, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Brew_Betty likes this.
  9. CADETS3

I meant to say 2# per gallon. I left that part out. I'm going to stick with the cacao nibs and use them in the secondary. Reasoning behind the nibs is that chocolate and strawberries pair very well (at least outside of beer), and I thought to give it a try with a saison. Thank you for the input though guys.

10. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Pooh-Bah (1,703) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just a suggestion but I would find another Belgian yeast strain and re-categorize this beer as a Belgian Blonde. The more fruity, less earthy esters should compliment both strawberry and cacao nibs better than a saison strain would. Just my opinion.

MrOH likes this.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

I just picked some of these up for a Belgian IPA I've been asked to attempt to clone for a friend's wife. I haven't used them before so I can't comment on that aspect, but I will +1 to what others have stated about Belma and strawberry notes.

12. ryane

ryane Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

Id suggest adding some blackberries to this beer, as strawberries add little to no flavor and no color, just about the only thing they do add is sourness

13. Brew_Betty

It sounds like ryane never tried New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb Ale.

14. Brew_Betty

Be honest. Are you planning on using Lactose in this beer @CADETS3 ?

chavinparty likes this.
  15. CADETS3

Ha ha, good one! Really though, no I don't intend to.

Brew_Betty likes this.
  16. ryane

ryane Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

its pretty easy to keep strawberry flavor in a beer when you essentially kill any microbes (yeast/etc) and sweeten with a fruit syrup at the end

New glarus is tight lipped about their "fruit" beers, and that one in particular is pretty sweet..........

Try fermenting some strawberries and get back to me with how it tastes

JackHorzempa and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  17. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

All I know is my Grandma used to make some country-ass strawberry "wine" and it was gross.

18. Brew_Betty

They make fruit beers that actually taste like fruit. Fruit tastes like fruit because fruit is sweet. Removing all the sugar and expecting it to taste like fruit is an unrealistic expectation. Replacing the fruit sugar with malt sweetness works well. I have done that with strawberries and the result was good. That won't happen with the OP's beer on account of the Saison yeast.

19. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Not all fruit is sweet...probably why Berliners and Saisons with fruit are all the rage right now.

20. CADETS3

What yeast did you use? I picked up some wlp550. I also have some more Belgian strains at the house but I can't recall what they are at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.