Craft beer legend Pete Slosberg brewing up Wicked Re-Pete

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerVikingSailor, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cool story in our local Akron paper today, from Rick Armon's Ohio Beer Blog

Pete's Wicked Ale will have a revival of sorts....at our local Akron based Hoppin Frog!! Re-Pete2X, sounds awesome!!

Great that HF is like 5 miles away from me....I am ready with @properglassware!

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-...g-brewing-up-wicked-re-pete-in-akron-1.666432

"Pete Slosberg, who sold Pete’s in 1998 and went into the chocolate business, is collaborating with Hoppin’ Frog owner and brewer Fred Karm on the limited-edition Wicked Re-Pete 2X, an homage to Pete’s Wicked Ale.

It’s a 10.4 percent imperial brown ale that’s essentially a bigger version of the original.

The beer will be available on draft and in 22-ounce bottles in about six to eight weeks. This would have been the 30th anniversary of Pete’s — which has since disappeared — so the proposed label includes the phrase “Happy 30th anniversary.”

Cannot wait!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slander

slander Pooh-Bah (2,324) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society

IMO, the perfect homage to Pete's Wicked Ale would be to make Pete's Wicked Ale.

3. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nope, double the ABV and go imperial. That's "proper" respect. :wink::wink:

4. zid

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I just noticed that the original is categorized as an English Brown here, but the article quotes Fred Karm as saying: “[Pete Slosberg] is the one who coined the American brown style.”

TongoRad likes this.
  5. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hoppin' Frog is known for their "big beers", so this does not really surprise me too much....

I am just happy it is being made here in my hometown....I had no idea Fred Karm and Pete were friends.....

PatrickCT likes this.
  6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I still have my "Born Wicked" surgical scrub shirt from when Pete renamed his lager. Pete is a cool dude.

SammyJaxxxx and BeerVikingSailor like this.
  7. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Freaking awesome. Pete's was one of my gateway beers back in the early 90's. Hope to see this in my area.

Gables, PatrickCT, cavedave and 4 others like this.
  8. MikeP64

MikeP64 Zealot (661) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Loved Pete's back in the day!! An early overlooked 'almost' craft brew!!!

9. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pete's and Sierra Nevada were fixtures in my fridge back in the day. Really miss that beer!

SammyJaxxxx and 2beerdogs like this.
  10. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I popped my craft beer cherry with Pete's back in the 80's. Can' t wait.

11. zeff80

zeff80 Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,891) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society

Get me some Whiskey Barrel Aged Wicked.

charlzm and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can you imagine what that beer would be like now that freshness is much more focused upon? It was so inconsistent back in the day, mostly I'm sure because of its age. I'd love to see a proper revival, myself.

13. slander

I think the inconsistency with the Wicked Ale came with Gambrinus' purchase of the company in '98.
    Repackaged in a long neck with a trident on the label (Ooo, the devil's pitchfork, how Wicked), and all.
    I remember having had one after a long lapse and not recognizing the beer, thinking WTF happened here?
    Instead of just overhauling the beer to what they wanted it to be, they, and I'll never forget the way they worded this..., they 'changed the beer incrementally with each batch to acclimate the consumer'. Painful.

14. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Hoppin Frog is also known for their "big beer prices".

15. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Pooh-Bah (1,816) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ok can we bring back Bert Grant's Imperial Stout now! That's a beer I really miss! The original incarnation not the 6 percent abomination they tried to sell at the end!

spicoli00 and zid like this.
  16. zid

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Acclimate them to what? What I mean is - How did they change it?

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Something tells me it can't happen. When you sell the brand, you usually sell the names as well as an integral part of the transaction. Why would you buy a beer brand when the seller can continue to make what you just bought - whether it's a sale from 18 years ago or 1 year ago.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  18. slander

You spelled Perfect Porter wrong.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  19. slander

They dumbed it down to shit. It was a beautiful unusual brown ale and it became less of everything incrementally 'til it was just meh. It was my go to American Brown Ale along with a very early pre-Garrett Brooklyn Brown Ale.

Consider your bestie IPA becoming less and less everything you love about it over a short period of time.

beerjerk666, SammyJaxxxx and zid like this.
  20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

That & the bomber format keeps me from enjoying them more often. I like big beers but they are nothing but big sippin' ... and unless I'm sharing that bomber, that's a big chew of a commitment.

otispdriftwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.