Best Cheap AAL Out There Right Now

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FrozenJoe, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

Milwaukee's Best/Light $13/case

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

PBR is up there for me. I find myself buying it to grill and drink. On the opposite side, if I'm just buying cheap AAL, I'll go Stag all day long. That gold can is great. And I can spot one of my cans half a mile away on the river if my cooler goes over board.

3. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Although not technically an AAL Yuengling is by far my favorite cheap beer. Notably more than the beers listed by the OP but still very cheap on the spectrum of craft beer. I enjoy it quite a bit and actually occasionally prefer it over "good beer" in certain situations. It's great with hot wings and for long days of tailgating.

Other than that I pretty much avoid "cheap" beers. I'll occasionally have a PBR tall boy as it sometimes seems to be the best (only) option at some music venues. And I'll drink a Coors Light occasionally if I'm at a place where the only option is the standard AAL lineup. I don't hate a Corona Extra with a lime at the beach either but that's probably mostly nostalgia.

4. SLewis

SLewis Pundit (901) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

PBR is the best hands down for me. Clean, crisp and refreshing.
    Yuengling is in the same price range here, but I find that it tastes how wet cardboard smells.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I would suggest that you give Yuengling Lord Chesterfield a try (preferably in cans).

Cheers!

McMatt7 and TongoRad like this.
  6. Vason

Vason Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

7. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

PBR, Yuengling, Narragansett, and Coors Banquet

Foyle likes this.
  8. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yep, Lord Chesterfield - 100% Cascade hops!

9. van1g

van1g Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 Illinois

high life in a bottle. /thread

10. muck1979

muck1979 Zealot (531) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I'll throw my two cents in for Leinenkugel's Original. Its listed 17 IBUs are on the high end for an AAL and it's still made with corn grits (as opposed to syrup) for whatever that's worth. Of course, it's probably impossible to find outside the Upper Midwest and doesn't sell for PBR prices either.

11. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

Strohs and PBR for me.

VictorsValiant likes this.
  12. MikeP64

MikeP64 Zealot (661) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Another vote for PBR and big-ass cans of Steel Reserve!

13. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Coors Extra Gold, Old Milwaukee, Hamms are my go-to cheapies.

Kevinski likes this.
  14. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

My guilty pleasure is Miller High Life. Usually can get 18 pk bottles for <$10 and it goes down like water. The nights I'm in it just for partying, I'll crush all but two, and save two to kill the hangover the next morning.

riverlen likes this.
  15. Belial

Belial Devotee (391) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

my top 3 is 1. old style
    2. old style
    3. old style

Redrover likes this.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Yuengling" makes a number of beers - their AAL is called Yuengling Premium and was their flagship brand for decades. Their "amber" beer, developed in the 1980s and now their best-selling brand and flagship, is Yuengling Traditional Lager.

Is it now? Have never seen Yuengling specify the hops used in LCA. OTOH, believing Yuengling's promotional material is problematic. They claim that LCA recipe has been the same since the brewery began "...Yuengling hasn’t changed the recipe in nearly 200 years.", but obviously that isn't true :rolling_eyes: (since as @JackHorzempa frequently notes :wink:) - it's brewed with lager yeast, and lager yeast wasn't available in the US in 1829* and Cascade hops weren't commercially available until the 1970s. Even though they now admit they converted both Porter and Ale to bottom fermentation around 1960, Yuengling claimed it was top-fermenting into, at least, the 1970s.

* I notice also that some recent Yuengling promo material now claims they've always brewed lagers, "We’ve been brewing lagers since 1829..." but, again... no lager yeast in the New World at the time.

jmdrpi, NeroFiddled, mudbug and 2 others like this.
  17. CraigP83

CraigP83 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Incredibly disappointed that nobody said Premium Grainbelt yet, that stuff is great

joelwlcx, Foyle and HopliteMpls612 like this.
  18. HoppyBastard

HoppyBastard Savant (1,005) Sep 6, 2013 Nebraska

Hamm's.....but it may cause blindness and fits of rage.

Kevinski, joelwlcx and Mshaw78 like this.
  19. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

Naragansett Lager

Bitterbill, rgordon, nc41 and 11 others like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

JK,

I do not have information from the brewery but according to their wholesale distributor in the Philly area (Origlio) Lord Chesterfield is brewed using Cluster and Cascade hops. I would suggest that the Cluster hops are used solely for bittering and the Cascade hops are used for flavor/aroma additions including dry hopping.

Cheers!

Jack

http://www.origlio.com/beverage/lord-chesterfield-ale

@NeroFiddled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.