The Most Overrated Breweries in the UK

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by CwrwAmByth, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leighton

leighton Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2009 England

That's pricey. Have you tried one yet? Did you try the previous batch? If so, could you provide a comparison? Cheers.

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 England

No on both counts but I've heard positive things about it. To be honest I don't mind paying a pound above the internet prices, as it'd cost more for delivery or even for a train fare to a cheaper shop.

London_Gent likes this.
  3. Georgefox

Georgefox Devotee (380) Aug 19, 2013 England

I had a skull King last week, it was nice but I wouldn't say I was blown away by it.

4. leighton

leighton Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2009 England

I tried the new Skull King on tap yesterday. I think it's an improvement, albeit only slight. A little cleaner, not quite so caramel-heavy. Still pretty heavy overall, though.

5. CwrwAmByth

Good for 8.7% I'd say. Lived up to the general Beavertown hype.

6. Padraig

Padraig Crusader (490) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

The new Cloudwater Citra IPA is a proper juicy banger.

7. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 England

Thought it was damn solid but just a little too sweet for me, tweak up the bitterness a touch and it would be a great.

Loads of orange wine gums dripping off it!

8. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Feels irreverent to say this but Harveys, based on their Sussex Best Bitter and Dark Mild.

9. CwrwAmByth

Controversial... Though I've had the Dark Mild and while I liked it at the time it's very watery and far from the best example of that kind of beer. Thought the Best Bitter was lovely though.

10. Georgefox

I've just realised I was completely mistaken, I didn't have the skull King, I had the double chin. Oops.

jdhoke likes this.
  11. jdhoke

jdhoke Aspirant (233) Aug 1, 2014 England

Double Chin was top notch in my book. I've grown quite fond of double IPAs.

12. London_Gent

London_Gent Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 England

100% agree with regard to Meantime.

Kernel comment has interested me though. I think their IPA / PA offerings are unsurpassed, table beer is admittedly a little underwhelming but their export stout is splendid (in my opinion of course).

13. Hoppsbabo

Pooh-Bah Society

Well, as I mentioned, I've had one truly exceptional beer from the Kernel. In general though I find their stuff either overkill fruity or weirdly clinical tasting, the table beer being a prime example of that.

14. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,244) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've been silent thus far
    Partially though feeling you've been a bit harsh on Cloudwater, not the greatest brewer but consistent and bottle conditioned
    & also my mixed feelings on Kernel
    Love their brown ale ,really enjoyed some of their stouts and fairly impressed by their pales
    though left cold by some of their pale ale labelling/naming/endless fine tuning of hop variety & ratio

Now I like a good whinge
    & think more umbridge should be sent they way of Meantime and Camden
    Also Thornbridge World class on cask
    Really truly disappointing bottled

Aye likes this.
  15. Georgefox

I've enjoyed the kernel ipa's that I've had but not had one for ages. I like their stouts and sours an black ipa but their pale ales usually underwhelm me. I'm not sure if it's a freshness thing or the hop varieties I've chosen. I do wish they had a stable core range as it can be hard to choose which to get so don't often get them.

16. Hoppsbabo

Pooh-Bah Society

I'd always found Jaipur dissapointing on cask, probably because it was always served perishingly cold. Then a few weeks ago I found some perfectly conditioned stuff and it was sublime. I'd love to try St Petersburg on cask.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. Aye

Aye Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

TESTICLES! ........I mean TESTIFY!!

EmperorBevis likes this.
  18. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do I detect a faint hint of disapproval ?

19. Aye

Aye Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

I think you're reading too much into it marquis :wink:
    Whilst my rant wasn't TOTALLY serious it did contain much that has bugged me for a long time about the so called craft scene. So much so that I knocked the ale on the head for a good while and gained a little perspective.

20. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had Jaipur on cask alongside Archer from Lincoln Green Brewery. Although only 4.2% ABV the Archer had more to offer than the Jaipur. Quite surprising given its reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.