Outside Maine Brew Co, Anything Else In Westbrook/Portland Area?

Discussion in 'New England' started by TheSixthRing, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20holmbrew

20holmbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Piggybacking off the original question, what should be expected on Wednesday 3/23 at Bissell Brothers? I plan to drive up from Massachusetts in the morning but not sure what to expect for lines for the Swish release. What is a good time to get up there? I have never tried Swish (only Substance and Baby Genius, which were both great) so really looking to get a few 4-packs.

2. Loblaw

Loblaw Aspirant (289) Mar 14, 2012 Massachusetts

Another related question -- does Oxbow do growler fills of their draft offerings, or are they for on-site consumption only? Are their growlers for purchase or is it a deposit that you can get back if you return the growlers?

3. RobCorriveau

RobCorriveau Aspirant (274) Dec 15, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I went up for a Wednesday release of Swish and got there around 11:15a and was probably the 20th person in line, but that was a little while back. The hype machine may require an earlier arrival these days. If you are not looking for a draft or any other merch, just bring cash and you will be in and out of there pretty quickly. The max when I went was about $110 for 28 cans.

20holmbrew likes this.
  4. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Bunker cans

5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Savant (1,157) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Heard a new brewery is opening in Westbrook - Mast Landing. Any local knowledge on them?

6. 20holmbrew

Thanks for the tip

7. kjlcm

kjlcm Pundit (815) Jul 16, 2013 Colorado

I will politely disagree with this sentiment. Maine beers are pricey for the annoying 16.9oz format so there is value in the 5 oz. samples at the brewery. The brewery is a very clean, chill environment. You can get a flight of Maine beers and compare them head to head. Nice to have Mo, Lunch, and Another One side by side. In fact I think it is one of our favorite tasting rooms we have been to and we always hit it whenever we are in the Portland area.

8. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (1,161) Jan 23, 2010 Maine

Good beer tap room only at the moment love their Green to Green

9. bishopdc0

Fair point, living in Portland I almost never go to of drink MBC, mind you I love Lunch. The last time i was at the brewery I was the only Maine plates, not a probmem just interesting. For me I can hit 4 to 5 breweries in the time it takes to drive to and from.

kjlcm likes this.
  10. bishopdc0

Industrial way is where to go, though check timing. If you want a specific beer you could do a IP trade for local Cali beer.

11. Sinnian

Sinnian Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Maine

LOL ~ review has nothing to do with the owners does it? ^Madden owns the brewery. Haven't had any of their beers yet. Hope they're better than a couple of other new breweries to come out the last month.

On a Wednesday, if you just want Swish ~ you'll be fine up to 1:30. If you want Substance cans too, then 11:00 at the latest.

The fill growlers, and sell bottles too. Momoko is awesome!

Loblaw likes this.
  12. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Grand Pooh-Bah (3,195) Sep 24, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Anyone.know if.Bissel takes cards?

13. 20holmbrew

Yup. They have a line for cards/cash as well as a cash only line.

14. TheSixthRing

Pooh-Bah Society

15. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Trader

Just an fyi that the last couple wed swish releases either did not sell out or lasted until 5 pm or so. If you get there around 1 or 2 today you will be fine and there likely will be no line. Unless you also want substance then get there early.

16. TheSixthRing

Pooh-Bah Society

Got both. Thanks guys. I'm only about 2 miles from there, so I'll definitely head back tomorrow at some point to hit up Allagash and Foundation, and Bissell again.

17. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

So what did you think?

18. JNbeerded

JNbeerded Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 New Hampshire

Mast Landing just opened in Westbrook a few weeks ago. They are making some good stuff and have a nice tasting room. It's definitely worth checking out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.