Best barrel-aged Imperial Stout ever tasted.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nerdboy19, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GamehendgeBrewingCo

GamehendgeBrewingCo Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Massachusetts

I really enjoy Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout, which shouldn't be too hard to find in the US - not sure about Mexico.

2. davidperez

davidperez Zealot (739) Dec 3, 2015 Mexico

Thanks a lot!

3. davidperez

Oh yes, I really liked it. There is another Mexican Imperial Stout called Házmela Rusa, that uses chili too. If you ever have the chance to try that one, go for it, I like it even better than Calavera's.

foundersfan1 and zid like this.
  4. davidperez

I actually heard that that beer was available somewhere here in Mexico once or twice, although it was clearly overpriced. Thanks.

5. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Dragons Milk is a good BA Stout that is pretty widely available year round, it's not quite at the level of the top top BA Stouts IMO but it's very well priced and a solid beer nonetheless.

foundersfan1 and davidperez like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just like in podunk US states, I'd suggest creating a list of the top BA stouts on this site, then cross-checking it with a list of breweries available near you.

davidperez likes this.
  7. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Donde estas, David?

Brolo75 likes this.
  8. davidperez

Vivo en Baja California Sur. ¿Sabes de algo? Saludos.

Brolo75 likes this.
  9. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Vivo en Rio Rico, poco norte de Nogales. Mi esposa es de Obregon. Voy al San Diego cada verano. Compras los stouts de Stone y Parabola si encuentras. Se bien que tu Ingles is mejor que mi espanol, pero quise communicar contigo asi en todo los modos:wink: Suerte!

VABA, davidperez and Brolo75 like this.
  10. 1424IpA

1424IpA Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California

Imposible....lol

Brolo75 likes this.
  11. laketang

laketang Pooh-Bah (2,993) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

don't waste time trying to get an equall to something only coming out once a year! go for north coast old Rasputin,available all the time and delish! cheers

hophugger likes this.
  12. hophugger

hophugger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,410) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nebraska Brewing's Black Betty and Firestone Walker Parabola are the first to come to mind...

davidperez likes this.
  13. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Espanol en BA, no lo puedo creer! Stouts reposado en barril de bourbon es mi estilo favorito de cerveza, felicidades David y bienvenido a la cerveza de la maxima calidad! Mi recomendación es Big Bad Baptist, creo que sera fácil encuéntralo en San Diego en una tienda que vende cerveza de craft si es posible ir a San Diego, suerte!

#353 Brolo75, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    highdesertdrinker and davidperez like this.
  14. davidperez

Mucho gusto, y muchas gracias por la recomendación, las cervezas stout de Stone no habían sido mencionadas previamente. No te preocupes, tu español está muy bien y ya pudimos utilizarlo.
    ¡Saludos!

15. davidperez

You sir, have a good point.
    Once I had the chance to buy a BA Old Rasputin, but it was ridiculously overpriced. I might give it a second thought now that I know what kind of elixirs we are talking about.
    Cheers!

foundersfan1 and laketang like this.
  16. davidperez

Gracias por la bienvenida y sí, probar la BA RIS me pareció justamente eso, cruzar un umbral en la calidad de la cerveza artesanal. Solía decir que no tenía una sola cerveza favorita, pero eso ya cambió.
    Ya van dos votos a Big Bad Baptist y varias menciones de San Diego, parece ser una muy buena opción.
    ¡Gracias de nuevo y saludos!

Brolo75 likes this.
  17. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,467) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Congrats. I think my first BA stout was actually better than losing my virginity. She was.. also.. sorta stout.

Squire, Jnashed, rawfish and 3 others like this.
  18. davidperez

LOL. I don't know if I would get that far, but having my first BA RIS was definitely something that had me excited and at the same time almost nervous. I tried lots and lots of different stouts previously just to make sure that I would detect the added flavors and nuances. Also, I knew that it would be a turning point for my forthcoming appreciation of the good stuff. So the analogy kinda fits.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  19. SirDirtJoe

SirDirtJoe Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2016 Mexico

You can get the Old Rasputin Stout (https://www.facebook.com/oldrasputinmx/) year round and Xocoveza (Stone brewery) in the winter here in México, not quite barrel aged but great stouts to taste!

davidperez likes this.
  20. jds16

jds16 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

Big Bad Baptist for sure. It's pretty easy to find, and at least in Northeast Ohio it's also pretty easy to find Hoppin' Frog's Barrel Aged BORIS (which is quite good, but I'd rank behind Big Bad Baptist). Dragon's Milk is readily available and good but not on the same level as those others.

Once a year, so not as easy to find if your timing is off, is Weyerbacher's Sunday Morning Stout. KBS is also one of the best but difficult to acquire if you aren't at the store when the truck unloads, at a release event, or via trade.

The Abyss (Deschutes) isn't entirely barrel aged, so it doesn't line up exactly with those others, but is definitely worth seeking.

davidperez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.