18th St Barrel Massacre

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ganked86, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Do you think putting on this event is free? I agree that the ticket price for this is insane. And giving people 2 hours to drink 35oz of BA beer is.....borderline irresponsible but this BeerAdvocate math where we take ticket prices and times it by the number sold and "that's how much money the brewery is going to make" is fucking stupid. You have to be a toddler to think 18th Street is making $14,000 off this event.

2. ericfoster83

ericfoster83 Devotee (391) Sep 16, 2010 Indiana

I should have thought harder about my username...

JArt, Jaycase, DrippingI and 3 others like this.
  3. lefty17

lefty17 Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You're right, he forgot to add another session plus the LOE session. So the gross (pun intended) is closer to $40,000 before bottle sales. If everyone maxed on bottles, you're looking at an addition 60,000. So if you think it costs 20% of that to put this event on in your own facility...

4. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Actually, it would $14,000 per session (200 tickets x $70)

And of course they're not making that much off the event.

I'm just saying for someone to basically say "it's not about the money -- we're poor, and have always been poor" is pretty disparaging towards your fan base.

#424 prior2two, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    ericfoster83 likes this.
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

No need to attack as he wasn't claiming they're going to make $14,000 in net income. He's simply stating that they are set to make $14,000 is sales before a single bottle is sold. It is a solid point to his argument.

Jaycase likes this.
  6. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There's a difference between gross and profit.

7. ericfoster83

They are though. At least that. Between bottle sales and whatever food you manage to eat before the buzzer goes off and you have to slam your next 5oz snifter, they're going to be fine.

Drucifer likes this.
  8. cetherid

cetherid Savant (1,081) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

Gotta fund those trips across the globe somehow :rolling_eyes:

18th street has been overpriced on a lot of things for awhile. 16 dollars DIPA bombers, 6-7 dollars for 5oz mini snifters of beer (both BA and non-ba beers).....Plus I'm sure he's making a ton of cash just on the "cash only" events and bottle sales they always have. Bitches Bank is for sale right now at the brewery, along with other other bottles but this bottle is specifically "cash only". So if you're at the bar eating and drinking and want to cash out using your card, you can't add the bottle to your tab. I've personally seen this first hand too at the Miller location.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

Am aware. What's that got to do with my post?

10. chitowntink

chitowntink Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2015 Illinois

Ditto I was boarding a plane and quickly bought and now I wish I hadn't.

11. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone Pundit (972) Dec 9, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

My group of 8 were all set to buy these tickets until we saw the price which we didn't see until minutes before they went on sale. We were all ready to drop down what cost was last year. Needless to say we all backed out laughing and shaking our heads. Afterwards we all joked about the price and accommodations of the DD tickets as well as regular comparing to DLD. This really sucks because we were all planning on hitting this event up for preDLD for awhile now. We are still bummed. I just can't make myself pay $170 plus for this 2 hour tops event when DLD is about the same price and we all know that value. Seems to me 18th Street is trying to piggy back 3 Floyd's and that's fine. Just make sure when your trying to do this your brewery is ready. Flossmore Station free preDLD event here we come.

12. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

It's the better event.

773-F-I-B and Drucifer like this.
  13. jefeld

jefeld Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2010 Illinois

Im not sure if you guys mis interpreted the "we have never had money" comment, but I, (and I could be wrong), interpreted it as not having come from much money and means prior to the business as opposed to not having money as a result of profits from running a successful brewery.

The point is that the 70 dollar DD ticket is not some money making profit decision, but is more based on a decision for the event as a whole, keeping entry fee the same across the board if you choose to drink or not. And that the most important elements of the brewery is to make great beer, not some "get rich quick" scheme. Lol, obviously the business is doing well and bringing in revenue, they have expanded to a new larger facility and bringing in new and bigger equipment. It is an exciting time for the brewery! For you all to think that he is saying "we aren't making any money, we have zero dollars" is short sighted, ignorant, and representative of your mis understanding of this entire situation, so maybe you can just put away the pitch forks, and if you don't like something, just choose to spend your money elsewhere? I'm excited for the event, and I support the brewery.

Also, there is so much entitlement in this thread its not even funny. Asking a brewery to justify their prices to their customers is a form of entitlement. You feel entitled to an explanation of their rationale for charging the prices they do. Its much easier to either buy a ticket or not, rather then bring out the pitchforks and the peanut gallery. Personally, if I have to spend a little more money but get more space, more beer, a calmer and easier event, Im all aboard. I guess it just comes down to your loyalty for the product and the brewery. Plenty of other breweries to choose to support.

#433 jefeld, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    JArt likes this.
  14. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Pundit (888) Apr 22, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Your DD ticket price theory still makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm also not sure people are misinterpreting the "we've never had money" line. I think people get what he's saying but it's such an odd line anyway, as if striving to make money via a healthy business is a bad thing. But the pricing and model of this event leave quite a bit to be desired, especially considering the jump (in price) from the event only one year ago.

15. jefeld

But less than one year ago, in between then and now, there were hundreds of people lined up for barrel aged hunter, MANY people left without bottles, and it became an absolute nightmare for the brewery with complaints left and right. Im completely fine with charging more money, getting access to more beer and more space, and limiting the event to only the most loyal and easiest to deal with customers. If it requires me to spend more money for that, as well as a happier brewer, sign me up.

16. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Where did I make a distinction?

17. ericfoster83

Except I didn't have to pay $70 to get in line for BA Hunter.

YoDudeguy likes this.
  18. jefeld

you also paid for any beer you drank off tap . . . . and you waited in line without any guaranteed access to bottles . . .

19. ericfoster83

Like I'll be doing with the Cognac Bank...

20. ericfoster83

I don't begrudge the opportunity to make money. Supply and demand and all that. There's still session 2 tickets available though. Maybe the event will surprise me. I've said it all over this thread, the product is great, I just think they tried to monetize this beyond where it's ready to be. The DD tickets aside, do you really wanna chug 7 beers and get in line for bottles before they kick us all out? At $20 and cash pours, no ones batting an eye. Hopefully it changes my mind and I can tell you how great it was while I'm line drinking st DLD.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.