Trillium Brewing Company (April 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Savant (1,228) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't think I've ever seen them do a silent release. Good chance of a beer being dropped between now and Tuesday, most likely something off the Up Next list

PA-Michigander likes this.
  2. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

Trillium doesn't do silent releases. The website lists availability. Sometimes new beers are announced the day they are released, via twitter, facebook, instagram, etc.

You will find all the beers, including 11 different hoppy options, listed here: http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/#trillium-brewing-beer-list-section

3. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Grand Pooh-Bah (3,248) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanks guys, no idea how they operated, probably should have done some research. Can't wait to spend some time in Boston.

Rysk22, AirBob and eb1610 like this.
  4. RKing44

RKing44 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

IIRC, Apricot Stonigton B2 info was released about an hour before opening. That is the closest they have had to a silent release, I believe.

5. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Blowing my mind that I have seen people post(not really here) recently about Trillium and having drain pour in the same line. Blows my friggin mind.

NGennaroL777 likes this.
  6. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

Unless you know about some beer they are producing from Mars then the silent release question really isn't an issue. Even if they were to release something everyone would want, they produce so much now that Trillium now has to work hard to run out of beer in one day. Let alone that week. Two breweries makes it pretty easy too. If Treehouse can up their game and produce as much as Trillium that whole line thing will be bubye

7. RuckIt

RuckIt Pundit (940) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

The closest thing to a "Silent Release" will be something that's not listed on their "Up Next" area of the website - but even then they'll post on Twitter "Beer X will be released tomorrow at the brewery at 1pm" or something along those lines. Maybe you should have asked a Local directly? :wink:

8. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

Actually looks like tree house is making 200 bbls a beer week, that is 6300 gallons of beer. I think that has to be the same if not more than trillium. The line thing at Treehouse is cause the beer is that good.

NGennaroL777 likes this.
  9. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Price/format has to come into it as well, right? I bet lines at Trillium would be even crazier if they packaged in cans and sold their stuff even a buck more per can than Tree House.

Mikecap and twizzard like this.
  10. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

I think your question was, "I am in town Tuesday, might something be released that is not currently listed as available?" The answer is yes, their last two releases were posted on Twitter at 11:03 AM and 12:07 PM for a noon opening available that same day.

It would probably be something from the Up Next section, but in the past month they released three third anniversary beers and Scaled Way Up that were not previously listed in that section. Trillium is not on any sort of regular release schedule as far as I know.

NGennaroL777 and PA-Michigander like this.
  11. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

I'd have to look over the numbers again but considering the capacity of Trillium to have large amounts of up to 10 beers at a time in both locations not selling out in one day or even a week and sending out TONS to distro now I just don't see how that adds up.

To put it into perspective when Artaic dropped that was 550 cases (6,000+ bottles) that lasted two days at least. Add up the other 10 or so beers that were on and I just don't see how Treehouse can produce, package, and sell as much currently.

#171 Jbrews, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    BAMF likes this.
  12. tendermorsel

It's crazy but true... It's insane when you really look at how much beer Treehouse sells weekly. People complain about the wait and how hard it is to get it like it's somehow there fault. Trillium is really awesome to btw. Just tick under Treehouse for my tastes. Either way Masshole tickers are winning big time lately.

13. tendermorsel

I was surprised how little beer (bottles) I got at my first visit to Trillium Canton. Six bombers for a bit under $70... It just seemed like a lot. Beer is great but it seems like local beer from the source should be a bit cheaper.

hopley, papposilenus and ElmerTLee like this.
  14. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

The bottles are 750 ml (25.3 oz. or something). It's a more expensive format, but not that far off from what you pay for a 750 ml fill at Hill Farmstead. Growler's are obviously a slightly better value.

15. Jcorn

Jcorn Savant (1,196) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's my only complaint with them. I think their beer is easily on par with Tree House, just ridiculously overpriced. I bought 2 32oz growlers which lessens it a bit on a per oz basis.

At Tree House the most you're paying is $.25 per oz
    At Trillium the least you're paying is $.32 per oz, & that's for the cheapest pale ale bomber. Their DIPAs are $.48 per oz.

Of course, I still go because the beer is phenomenal.

16. NGennaroL777

NGennaroL777 Zealot (500) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trillium & Tree House have the same size, 30BBL's. Trillium just has enough room to double brew their beers which is why everything minus their Small Bird series is 60BBL. I still think lines wont be as long but there will be long ones if Tree House brewed a special beer such as Juice Machine or Good Morning on 60BBL.

17. NGennaroL777

NGennaroL777 Zealot (500) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

How much does the format matter though? I assume a little, but I live 1/2 hour from Canton and am consistently baffled by how little wait time there is, whether it's Scaled Way Up or even the 3 Anniversary beers they released. Two of those lasted like, four days.

In my opinion, it's all expensive, it's all overpriced to some level, but that's the price you pay for amazing beer. I don't see the cents per ounce argument as enough of one to justify Tree House over Trillium. For me, cracking a bomber open by myself kind of sucks. I want to share the beer w/ people that appreciate it, so I often wait for friends to become available but at some point, it's my beer, I should just drink it when I want. If they had 16oz cans or 12oz bottles I'd be far likely to drink them on my own when they're more fresh.
    Artaic lasted 11 hours or so. It sold out about an hour or two into the next day.
    You get just a tick over 6oz more of beer on a 32oz growler for the same price. I always try to get growlers for that reason but if I am trading, bottles is generally where I go.

18. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Price doesn't stop me from buying Trillium or any other beer I truly love, but it has to factor in here. Trillium is nearly twice as expensive as Tree House. For $22.50 you get six pint cans of Julius, that's 96 ounces of beer. For $20 you get ~50 ounces of Congress St. I buy Trillium far more often because it's so conveniently located for me (and it's delicious), but when we're talking about thousands of people making purchasing decisions, I have to think it comes into play.

19. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

I'm confused, do you think format makes a difference in desirability or not?

I don't mind 750s, but I, like many on this site, am really hoping that Trillium starts to can, or at least adjusts their prices now that they are making a lot more beer. I think the price per ounce argument is a very good one. The difference in cost between cans of Tree House and bottles of Trillium is significant. Take a double IPA. Haze (canned) is .26/oz. A Trill DIPA (bottled) is .47/oz. If you were buying a case of 16oz cans of each of those beers, Haze would cost you about $100. The same amount of Trillium DIPA would cost you $180. I prefer Trillium over TH but if I am buying fancy beer to share with others I think twice about Trillium due to the cost.

I also don't think it is fair to say "that's the price you pay for amazing beer." Look at the cost of Alchemist, Bissell, Foundation, Tree House. Trillium is higher, per ounce, than all of them. Hill Farmstead approaches the price per ounce depending on the format, but at this point in time HF beers are much more difficult to obtain, which does factor in to what people are willing to pay.

20. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Zealot (730) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed with all of this. Although you can't understate the convenience factor. Even if both breweries were equally difficult to get to, a 15 minute wait is long at Trillium while an hour+ is pretty common at Tree House. So for the same volume of IPA I have to spend $20 more at Trillium, but save an hour. I value my time more than my $ and that's ignoring that Trillium is much more accessible (for me, and for most people).

Spokesville and Jcorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.