Don't be a CraftHole

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elmattador3976, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Grand Pooh-Bah (4,466) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Regional Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

'Craftdouche' doesn't sound too good, but I wasn't raised in an English environment so...

An ahole will be an ahole at the liquor store, at a theater, at a mall, or on a date, this is spot on.

lester619 likes this.
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Chill Bro. I am embarrassed that you are yelling CRAFTHOLE! and think it is clever.

Dude, sometimes people are jerks. Cool homz?

Coldstorage and LuskusDelph like this.
  3. BrewmanCapote

BrewmanCapote Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 Illinois

Being a crafthole is self-defeating behavior.

4. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Grand Pooh-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

I only drink IPA's that are less than 2 weeks old, and they HAVE to be stored in the cooler. If I see it on the shelf, I complain to the manager and tell him he's causing the hops to fade by leaving the beer sitting in the warm air. If I see an IPA that is 16 days old, I walk out of the store in a huff.

When it comes to imperial stouts, if I see one in the cooler I also complain to the manager because beers like that should NOT be consumed cold, and the cold air is also halting the natural aging process. BUT, if it's a coffee forward stout, keeping it in the cooler may be a better choice. If I see one on the shelf I have to educate the manager that coffee is a flavor that fades quickly and leaving it sitting on a hot shelf could help speed up the process of getting rid of those flavors, thus leaving a less impressive beer. I also check to make sure he/she is taking notes because this information is very important.

I love educating the less educated. It makes me feel euphoric and superior. I always remember to tip my fedora as I leave the store, so they know I am not only intelligent, but classy. This way, they will be more likely to take my suggestions more seriously.

5. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Classy is making a purchase before making a comment.

6. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Agreed, or even making a purchase before asking "limited releases"

7. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

What's wrong with that? Why would someone have to buy beer before asking for something that the owner hid behind the shelf?

8. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Actually, sadly most of this is entirely true in many places.

9. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Put it this way if I was a store Owner and never seen you step foot into my store before and you dont even take a look around at least. I would say no to anything "limited" that you ask for.

We all dont have to have the same opinions on it though. Like me if i ask to be placed on a list for something "limited" or "rare" I buy something before asking to be placed on the list.

Badfish and Squire like this.
  10. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Maven (1,294) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

At first I thought you were a huge douche, but as I read on realized this was brilliant sarcasm. I hope. :wink:

11. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Clerk-hole. That was good. haha

12. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good question, let me explain my comment. Most of the places I shop are locally owned and when there recognize the owner/manager is paying rent, or mortgage, utilities, maintenance, daily interest on the bank line of credit financing his merchandise, taxes, salaries, matching funds, insurance, and other costs before he pays himself anything. So every minute he stands there talking to me is costing him money which is a dead loss if I don't buy anything. So I make sure to have purchase in hand before asking questions. Even if he doesn't have what I want the trip wasn't a bust because, hey, it's a place that sells beer.

If you can walk into a beer store and not buy something then you have stronger moral fiber than I posses.

13. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I've never seen it. I try to forge relationships with the local shopkeepers. I don't mind asking for a special behind the counter bottle and leaving empty handed, because they know I shop there. At a new store I wouldn't ask for a special release without something else in my hand to purchase.

14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Maven (1,336) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

Have you ever gone to a clothing store and left if they didn't have pants in your size?

I agree with your premise as I very rarely dont' buy beer when I stop at the store. There's usually something I can stomach.

15. neenerzig

neenerzig Pooh-Bah (2,851) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree, being a craft hole does not do the winning. As my old guitar teacher used to say, "Don't be bashful!"

Eric

16. ronniewalkerism

ronniewalkerism Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Colorado
    Deactivated

Clerkhole here. If you walk into my store and I've never seen you before, and you ask, "What do you guys have in the back?" or, "Anything good come in lately?" I'm going to ask you if there's something specific you're looking for. If I have something I'm keeping in the back, it's for my regular customers who keep the lights on, who just might've missed a release. If you come in my store to whale-hunt and not support core products (we have plenty of AMAZING 'shelf beer'), then we won't miss you. Whales sell themselves.

Aus_Nomad, sonoma01, Alby and 6 others like this.
  17. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

I feel like I'm broken because I know you are correct on this, but I just feel like an ass asking for a rare beer and then skipping out if they don't have it. It's completely logical to do so, but I just don't like to do it.

18. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Maven (1,486) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

I work for an automaker. I wish everyone shopped this way!

Rollinghops513 likes this.
  19. HopVol

HopVol Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Tennessee

I'm the same way, I always buy something no matter what. I'm in two different beer stores at least once a week and I always buy something but I'm not usually looking for something specific unless I know there was a release. It is strange, this obligation to buy if you walk in the store. If I go to a hardware store looking for an air conditioner filter I dont feel obligated to buy another size if they dont have my size.

BrewsingBuffalo likes this.
  20. FourBetter

FourBetter Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota

Trademark it! You'll never have to work again.

Gajo74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.