You may not be a Crafthole, but are you a Drafthole?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by westcoastbeergeek, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Ok, building on the the crafthole concept of whale chasing in stores and never buying shelf beer, are you one of those people that can sit down and see a decent taplist and snuff at it because it doesn't have enough rare beers, or other silly complaints? You, maybe you or someone you know is a drafthole!

I'm sure some bartenders here can share some stories of the many draftholes they've dealt with.

2. 98green

98green Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Michigan

I don't ever verbally complain about draft lists at places, but I do like to try new stuff, so I tend to go to places that feature plenty of rotating handles.

I don't need a place full of "rare" beers on tap, just not the same 12 (or 24 or whatever) on tap every time I go there.

Again, I don't complain to the bartender or anything, I just get disappointed that there isn't something new to try.

3. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,453) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If there's nothing on the tap list that I want to try, it's not a big deal. I just don't drink.

4. szarom1992

szarom1992 Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Canada (AB)

That's a tough question.
    I don't think I'm too obnoxious about it, but whenever one of my friends ask me where I want go on a Friday night, I usually suggest someplace I know has a great tap selection. But I don't complain if we end up at a place with a generic tap line. I'll have their generic craft option, or just get a rum and coke

XpL0d3r, rjd722 and ONovoMexicano like this.
  5. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's nice to get a pleasant surprise every now and then, but especially now where local has become quite ubiquitous, it's rare to come across a place with taps* that doesn't have at least one beer I can enjoy.

*Assumption not valid at Moose Lodge, American Legion Posts or anyplace with the name "Bubba" in the name of the establishment.

6. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

7. Kozaka

Kozaka Maven (1,464) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I'm a drafthole in respect to only drinking draft vs bottles/cans when at a bar/restaurant. Kind of opposite to the premise.

Obviously a theoretical exception exists if Bud Light was only tap or vintage lambic available but has yet to happen at my usual haunts.

PatrickCT and Pantalones like this.
  8. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

Considering the only bar I can convince friends to go to within walking distance of my house, most people there consider stella "snobbish" So nope Can't say Draght lists bother me. If there is something that tastes good on it I'm happy and if it does have something rare I would probably excitedly try it.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  9. mpmcguire11

mpmcguire11 Savant (1,013) Sep 6, 2014 Rhode Island

Not sure if this makes me a drafthole or crafthole, but I tend to choose restaurants based on their beer selection. Meaning, there needs to be a better selection than just the "basic domestics."

10. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Tap selections have been steadily improving across the board (though I'm sure there are certain regions that aren't great). Even a fair amount of chain establishments around me have been putting up local beers that are quite good. Though, overall, this post doesn't apply much to me at this time. I rarely go out for a beer on draft, and do most of my drinking at home.

VABA likes this.
  11. beertraveler08

beertraveler08 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2016 Louisiana

I might be somewhat of a Drafthole.I get upset if the tap selection sucks,but i don't actually tell the bartender.I just choose to stay away for a while and see if the selection gets better,especially with the change of the seasons.

MikeP64 likes this.
  12. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I pretty much only stop by a brewery or establishments that post on their taplists online so I know before going there will be something there that I'm interested in. Otherwise I consume special beers at home. If out with AAL drinking friends I tend to either suggest a place that was satisfy my high-maintenance beer drinking ways, or if we're in an AAL joint, I don't complain but just grab a Coors or something. No big deal to me, and I don't comment negatively to anyone.

Lucular, ONovoMexicano and bmugan like this.
  13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

nope. gimme a Two-Hearted over almost anything

14. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Grand Pooh-Bah (4,820) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This pretty much sums it up for me. If I am ever a "drafthole" it is before I go anywhere. I check out drink menus before food if I am going someplace new. There are plenty of places that get axed because they don't even list any information on their website, or the offerings suck. Only my family and friends have to put up with that though.

15. jcos

jcos Pundit (761) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

This. And for me it doesn't neccesarily have to mean any particular level of beer, just if nothing appeals to me then I pass.

dcotom and mickyge like this.
  16. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

When I go to a place that has beer on tap, I'm happy just to see something like Sam Adams Boston Lager (which is really, really good on draft, in my experience -- never had a bottle where the hops stood out quite as much as that first sip of a draft pint. It's good in bottles too of course, but definitely better on tap. There's probably plenty of other good beers I'd turn down in favor of a draft pint of Boston Lager, actually, especially if I was having it with food.)

Whether or not there are rare beers on tap is pretty irrelevant -- I'm fine with just a single good beer, and if there's not even that I'll just order some iced tea or something instead.

17. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Zealot (637) Mar 14, 2007 California

Draughthole

thuey likes this.
  18. MikeP64

MikeP64 Zealot (661) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

OMG I might be a drafthole..."12 taps and nothing barrel aged or no DIPA's??" What am I gonna do???

beertraveler08 likes this.
  19. BrokenEdge

BrokenEdge Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2015 Pennsylvania

Not exactly applicable because the bar I frequent the most has a great rotating selection, no complaints. But if I do happen to go somewhere else, nearly every restaurant/bar at least has Yuengling on tap, which I'm perfectly fine with drinking.

20. cdoland

cdoland Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2007 Virginia

I'm pretty spoiled because in my small-ish town we've got 3 or 4 different places with very good rotating draft selections. So when I do go to another bar with a ho-hum draft selection I sometimes will ask who orders the beer and try to talk the guy into ordering some good, local and not-too expensive selections that I'm pretty sure will sell well.

bmugan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.