Looking for suggestions to visit the IPA cooler

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by deleted_user_1111368, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

My son and DIL are visiting my wife and I from out of state in June. My wife and I typically drink stouts and porters, my son and DIL have never branched out much into the world of craft beers (yet). Of the 4 of us, none are IPA drinkers. So, with all the reading I've done here at BA, I can't help but notice all the IPA references.

My question is, what IPA would you suggest, that for you.. was a gentle movement into the IPA style? I'm looking to ease us into a night of beer tasting, not dive right into the bitterness pool. Looking around the site, I've seen some black (or dark) IPA beers, but have no clue if there IS an easy slide into IPA. Also, I want to do this test, the night they are here, and without pre-tasting them before they get here. I believe having us all snorkle, laugh or smile at the same time will make the experience better overall. Of course, I'll have plenty of backup beers, in case this while thing goes awry. Thank you!

#1 deleted_user_1111368, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's very hoppy, yet still very approachable. Should make a good introduction to the style.

3. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Grand Pooh-Bah (3,400) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Maybe try a Sam Adams Rebel IPA, pretty mild in the world of IPAs.

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Any of these would be great, but go by freshnesss when you purchase. It really matters with IPAs especially:
    Anchor Liberty
    Bells Two Hearted
    Smuttynose Finestkind
    Dogfish Head 60 Minute
    Sixpoint Bengali

NYR-Zuuuuc, Ranbot, zid and 4 others like this.
  5. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Worked for me. And be cautious about what is and what isn't an IPA. If you have been following the IPA threads, you probably already are aware that there are many beers called pale ales that are as hoppy or hoppier than some IPAs. And if you weren't already aware, you're welcome. And whatever you do, stay away from the black IPAs if you're just starting out. IMO, they are so far from what an IPA should be, it's not a good representation of the style.

PapaGoose03, SLewis and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I would do pale ales or pilsners not IPAs

Southern Tier Live is a great option.
    For pilsners try Victory Prima Pips
    Troegs Sunshine Pilsner.

7. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Grand Pooh-Bah (5,542) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No need to test the waters, sir. Dive right in. You may find it to be the thing you were missing all along.

8. SLewis

SLewis Pundit (901) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Sierra Nevada Torpedo for me. Just the right about of malt balance to make a really enjoyable beer.

otispdriftwood likes this.
  9. joe16siny

joe16siny Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 New York
    Trader

Pick up a Sierra Nevada 4 way IPA variety pack, you'll get a nice mix of 4 IPAs with 3 bottles of each that would be good for sharing among 4 people.

10. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Maven (1,479) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

for me I found all IPAs to be overly bitter until I came across just the right one, which for me happened to be Mystic - Wigglesworth IPA.... however as a number of people on here have said, starting with a hoppy pale ale may be a good way to ease into the style. If your into darker beers a black IPA might do the trick as well, but its not really representative of the style, maybe just a way to introduce your palate to some hoppier brews. For a recommendation I would say Brooklyn Summer Ale (pale ale), or Harpoon Take 5 IPA (session IPA with a nice bit of citrus and a relatively subdued bitterness) .... also GO FOR FRESHNESS!!! your much more likely to find something you enjoy where the intended flavors are present and any off flavors are absent, enjoy :grinning:

11. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sweetwater IPA converted me. Very citrusy.

12. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,781) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Black IPAs are good if you like porters and stouts. Stone - Enjoy By Black is a good one. Firestone Walker -Wookey Jack, and Maine Beer Co. - Weez are also a nice transition from dark beer to hoppy IPA. I'm sure there are others in the store if they don't have those, or like others have said feel free to dive right into any appealing and appetizing IPA.

DrStiffington likes this.
  13. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I would agree with this except for Finestkind, I find that beer to be pretty bitter.

TongoRad has a good list and I would add Victory Hop Devil also. While the name may make you think otherwise it has a strong malt character that really balances things out and is unique in taste [to me] and has become one of my favorite IPAs over the years.

TongoRad likes this.
  14. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Good call on ST Live. Quite approachable, and a solid beer as well.
    I too would suggest starting with Pale Ales rather than IPA's.
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is classic
    Brooklyn Summer Ale is very approachable (note: this is an English Pale Ale, not an APA)
    Captain Lawrence Freshchester APA- not sure if this would be available to you, but I tried it last night and it's a very well made Pale Ale and nicely balanced.
    Harpoon IPA - Not overly aggressive, well made

VABA likes this.
  15. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale. It's really an IPA in disguise :slight_smile: Very approachable.

Just be sure to check the bottom of the can for the date-OB has been in WV for about 6 months now and I've yet to see anything under 3 months old :slight_frown:

16. zeff80

zeff80 Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,891) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society

With you're location, I'd start with 60 Minute.

NotHereForGold, TongoRad and zid like this.
  17. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Maven (1,486) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

If none of you are IPA drinkers, I'd go with a fresh pale or pils as others have said. There's plenty of hops there that might help you build that bridge if you're looking to get into IPAs.

Mirror Pond might be a good start.

Lahoi and ChuckHardslab like this.
  18. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter or any of the other SN recommendations here.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  19. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,212) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Good starter might be Session IPAs
    Not TOO hoppy with good flavor
    Very clean and crisp taste
    ----------------------------------
    Easy Jack
    Take 5
    Lakefront Extended Play
    All Day
    Lagunitas Day Time
    Oskar Blues Pinner (VG)
    Ballast Point Even Keel
    Stone Go To

Good regular IPAS
    ------------------------
    60 Minute (right in your backyard)
    Ballast Point Sculpin
    Ithica Flower Power
    Firestone Walker Union Jack
    Stone IPA

Good Luck!

20. Streetkid

Streetkid Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2016 California

Swami's!! You can't go wrong with swami's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.