1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

WARNING about FedEx in Vermont

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by chippo33, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chippo33

chippo33 Pooh-Bah (1,959) Feb 29, 2012 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As long as the account the box was shipped from was an officially licensed and paid alcohol shipper that shouldn't have happened. I've had a bunch of breweries and legal resellers send me beer with alcohol stickers on the box the past 7 years and they all come through.

2. Arsenal_MC

Arsenal_MC Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2013 District of Columbia
    Trader

I was thinking about doing this, using Express instead of Ground... Do you think it's safer just to use UPS instead? Is there an Express-equivalent for UPS?

3. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Zealot (650) Sep 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

IMHO the price difference between ground and express are huge could be 40$ or more if you don't want to risk using fedex just ship UPS or USPS ...

Arsenal_MC and chippo33 like this.
  4. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

I was misleading with my information. As a former FedEx employee, my discount made those two services roughly the same price. Now that I'm not employed there (and no longer have the discount), I've discovered it's vastly more expensive to use Express over Ground - even the slowest Express option.

chippo33 likes this.
  5. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

made a trade with a VT advocate, he gave me a tracking # and checked it out and it came up 'improper shipment'... he was flagged in their system to check all packages and after a week they released his beer back to him and the box I sent him spent a week in transit to arrive in VT to the same situation, took a week to send it back to me but glad they didn't 'destroy' our packages

highly recommend not using Fedex to or from VT

6. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Maven (1,360) Nov 5, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

my brother just got a place on Lake Champlain in NY. sounds like I could make some $'s establishing my own FedEx hub there and ferrying the stuff over to VT.

BTW, just snuck a box into VT via USPS.

luwak and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

All I will say is that 16 oz cans fit wonderfully in a USPS Large Priority mail box and will be delivered in 2 days (even on a Saturday) for $18.

8. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Crusader (468) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Couldn't agree more. The anti usps sentiment on this site amazes me. Have shipped many many flat rate boxes and I have never had any issues. You can't beat 2 day shipping for less than $20.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

The anti USPS sentiment has to do with it being a violation of federal law.
    That said, I am not concerned about getting a visit from a postal inspector. They are concerned with other things in the mail.

sulldaddy, cavedave and Brewzer1010 like this.
  10. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Crusader (468) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Exactly. As far as I can tell, no one has been popped by the usps for this. In fact they are pretty good about repackaging when breaks occur.

11. shawn14526

shawn14526 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 New York

I would never use anyone except USPS. I've done over 200 trades (most on another site), and have never had an issue at all. Even when I drop full 12 slot styro shippers in the mail to Europe or CA.

12. TheQuest300

TheQuest300 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 California

Money. See below..

Those beer stores have gone through the process of getting a proper permit aka paying the state a nice amount of money each year. This is why VT and other states don't allow person to person shipping. It undercuts their revenue from suppliers and distributors who are paying every year a nice chunk of change to get the proper permits and pay the correct sales taxes. It has nothing to do with FedEx or UPS policy. If they could they would let you ship whatever you wanted as long as it was packaged properly.

13. CHSASVbeer

CHSASVbeer Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 South Carolina

So, I wasn't thinking and sent a box to friends in Stowe...12 shipper, not a trade, just friends, thus wasn't thinking about this thread! Should I be worried? Do all boxes headed to VT got through the bad shipping center?

14. wolfpac255

wolfpac255 Pundit (906) Apr 13, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Whoever manages that FedEx location must have a pretty impressive cellar.

cavedave, luwak, Dan_K and 1 other person like this.
  15. CHSASVbeer

CHSASVbeer Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 South Carolina

No issues shipping my 12 shipper this week, but I sent shelfies

16. disGRUNTled

Trader

Agree 100 % with these guys I have a Fedex account so that is cheaper if the place you are shipping to is close, but anytime I ship across the country I use USPS LG flat rate box 18 $, tracking number, and get's there in 2 days. If I were shipping anything to VT I would use USPS or UPS

17. kenhutchinson

kenhutchinson Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2008 Massachusetts

I just had a problem shipping to VT today as well with FEDEX. The person I talked to on the phone was not very sympathetic and they are not going to return the box back to me.

Guess I will try with USPS or UPS....

18. disGRUNTled

Trader

Damn man that sucks had you been following this thread before you decided to send with Fedex to VT ? and yeah any box to VT use USPS or UPS

19. kenhutchinson

kenhutchinson Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2008 Massachusetts

nope, I saw this thread after the fiasco. I've had 20+ trades (between 2008-2011) with FEDEX, and never had problems. Brave new world..

20. bigda83

bigda83 Crusader (453) Feb 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Bumping this due to recent bad trader thread. I remembered this from a while back so hopefully traders can take caution with Fedex in VT.

Victory_Sabre1973 and mythaeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.