Hawaii- Big island & Maui June 2016

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BrianKeith714, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryno09

ryno09 Pundit (811) May 1, 2010 California

Best beer I've had from Hawaii. And one of the more unique beers I've ever had.

rawfish, luwak and dcgunman like this.
  2. OCJeff

OCJeff Crusader (446) Mar 14, 2015 California

I have about 3 MBC growlers (64oz). If you want one let me know. I keep forgetting to bring one with me.

Not this year though. I'll be there 6/11 to 6/23. I've only been to the original location where fish and game brewing used to be. Where exactly is the other location?

3. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looking for Big Island Red Sea of Cocoa on Maui. I just got back from Tamura's in Kahalui. None left. I am planning to go into Kihei tomorrow MBC. I'm hoping Tamura's Kihei will have some bottles left. Thanks.

4. aoampm

aoampm Pooh-Bah (2,478) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I dunno if someone told you that there was a Tamura's in Kihei but I'm almost 100% sure there isn't one unless they just opened. I might be wrong because I don't live out there but I would still call ahead and ask about that. If you are on island for a little while longer I can check out some stores around me and see if there's any Red Sea left. Hope you're enjoying the island living!

VABA and dcgunman like this.
  5. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yea...my bad. I don't know why I was thinking there was a Tamura's in Kihei. Thank you for correcting me. I'm staying at my bro-in laws parents condo in Wailuku. I haven't checked WFs yet. I am going to check them out tomorrow am before heading to MBC Kihei.

aoampm likes this.
  6. aoampm

aoampm Pooh-Bah (2,478) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Pooh-Bah Trader

No worries, just wanted to make sure you weren't going on a tamuras wild goose chase :wink:. Whole Foods has a great selection so you should definitely be happy with some of the stuff you find there. Cheers!

VABA likes this.
  7. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yea no worries. Thx. I was hoping to open a bottle while I'm here with my bro-n-law and take back a bottle to CA. Leaving out Monday afternoon.

8. ShoyuStout

ShoyuStout Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

There is a Tamura's in Kihei...they were just a bit over zealous with their projected winter 2015 opening date. Prob. opening in another month or so. I wouldn't discredit the selection at the Kihei Foodland either. They definitely have the best selection of beers of the Maui Foodlands and probably the best on the southside ever since Ulu Market closed down. If you are going to MBC it might be worth a look since it's only about a 5 min. drive down the road.

#28 ShoyuStout, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    luwak, aoampm and dcgunman like this.
  9. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was able to pick up Red Sea at WFs this morning. Almost complete. Heading to MBC in a few hours.

luwak likes this.
  10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sorry for late reply, but the bottle I had last week was at Monkeypod with my lunch. I would assume they only sell for on-site consumption.

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

They had a beer called Tall, Dark & Mandarin on tap at the brewpub that was top notch too. Imperial Stout with chocolate and orange flavors. Went great with dessert.

ryno09 likes this.
  12. Kyle2k10

Kyle2k10 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2010 California
    Trader

I'll be there 6/2 to 6/11. Thanks for the offer on the growler, but I'll just bring a blank they can fill. They built the new brewery in Kihei, looking forward to seeing it in person and hopefully a tour.

Looks like there's a Monkeypod Kitchen in the works at Whaler's Village.

13. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

MBC is one of my favorite brewery's. Beautifully done. Did not do te tour. Seen one seen them all. No big deal. We just chilled outside with the nice ocean breeze. Enjoyed an organic burger off the gourmet food truck (looked more like an ice cream truck). I think it was Dino's "something". Not sure of the name now. Brain fart. It would nice if they had a restaurant at the brewery. Filled my Society SS growler with Double Overhead IPA to bring back to CA today. Also filled one of the glass MBC growlers from our condo with their pale ale. Killed that last night. Also did a flight of 6 and a couple pints while there. A must stop if your on the island of Maui.

aoampm and Brewzer1010 like this.
  14. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Uhm.....they DO have a restaurant

http://mauibrewingco.com/menu/

Were you in Lahaina? or ....

dcgunman likes this.
  15. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Crusader (468) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

They also have a relatively new brewery in Kihei that does not have a restaurant. Given the mention of a food truck, that is probably what was being referred to.

luwak likes this.
  16. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Right. i realized that after i posted.

For those interested:

http://mauibrewingco.com/tasting-room/

17. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kihei.
    Been to Lahaina many times.

18. Kyle2k10

Kyle2k10 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2010 California
    Trader

How did you seal that growler? I have one of those too, but I'd be afraid it'd leak all over my suitcase.

dcgunman likes this.
  19. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I brought a couple of zip ties with me. Used 2 to seal the flip top and the condo had tape. Made it to my fridge. No problem.

BrianKeith714 and Kyle2k10 like this.
  20. ryno09

ryno09 Pundit (811) May 1, 2010 California

That's the flip top right? I think they use the same ones as Rip Current. When I take over my Rip Current growlers I put electrical tape around the top so it can't flip open.

dcgunman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.