Help us start the change for better RI beer laws (from Dave @ Proclamation)

Discussion in 'New England' started by othevad, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. othevad

othevad Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Rhode Island

Hi everyone.

Dave from Proclamation Ale Company here.

As many of you may (or may not know,) Rhode Island has some pretty restrictive laws for sales/tastings at breweries. Currently, we are able to "In conjunction with tours/tastings, provide up to 72oz of malt beverage clearly marked as samples." (i.e. we can sell you up to a 6 pack of 12 oz cans/1 big growler)
    We are not currently allowed to sell more than this, or sell any beer for on-premise consumption at the brewery.

We would like to change this for obvious reasons.

If you have a minute and would like to help, please go to the following change.org link and sign the petition to at least start the ball rolling for us. It is going to be a huge uphill climb to fight for this, but we have to start somewhere.

https://www.change.org/p/rhode-isla...e-passage-of-better-beer-laws-in-rhode-island

Thank you.

2. Dopen993

Dopen993 Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Rhode Island

Makes all the sense in the world, help grow smaller businesses and help create jobs in the future. Best of luck.

othevad likes this.
  3. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

1 growler limit per person? Man, that blows! The whole point of a small brewery is to be able to provide fresh beer out the door for customers and at the very least: multiple samples/flights. Good luck brother!

othevad and SveNss0N like this.
  4. TheElectricOne

TheElectricOne Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Rhode Island

It really is foolishness, and just a way for the distributor/taxman to rake in more dough. If Proclamation sends their beer to local liquor stores, I can buy as much as my car can carry. If I go directly to the source, I can buy one damn bottle of beer.

othevad, DogfishTail and Horbar like this.
  5. othevad

Hey guys.

Agreed. The more mind blowing thing, is that brewpub licenses are able to sell endless amounts of growlers... how does that make sense?

Mikecap likes this.
  6. loupap

loupap Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2008 Rhode Island

7. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is there going to be a bill submitted to the general assembly in the upcoming session?

8. othevad

Hey Providence.

I've heard rumblings of such things from a few different people. I can't be sure as I'm getting my info 2nd hand.

9. loupap

The hope is that a bill [or two, one growlers-specific and one for taprooms] will be submitted for the '16 session. Will keep y'all updated.

sulldaddy likes this.
  10. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, definitely do. A bill has got to be submitted or else the signatures on a change.org petition won't be as effective as they could be (of course, the petition signatures could help in finding a rep. or senator to craft and submit the legislation, however you're going to want to be able to show that rep/sen. just how many of the petition signatures come from folks in her/his voting district). I'm sure you've thought about these types of political logistics, but if you haven't, I'd figured I'd put it out there. I've worked on a number of advocacy efforts at the state house. Also, and again you may have already processed this, if you haven't through through the reasoning behind having separate bills for growler fills/taprooms, you may want to. There may be some big advantages to including both on the same bill (or perhaps there are more disadvantages; again, I don't know this nearly as well as you do). Good luck and keep us posted. You have my support.

sulldaddy likes this.
  11. loupap

Yep, the petition was launched to draw consumer support and the backing of a rep/senator. There will be another petition when the bill (or bills) are submitted, and the signature count on that one will need to be much higher than what the current one has garnered. Growlers/taprooms may be combined in one bill, but there's some thought that it may be "easier" to set the ounce limit changed/removed (one step at a time). Thanks for your input!

12. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,080) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hello, Sounds like you have some good things moving along. Im not familiar with the system in RI, but I was at the front of our efforts in Connecticut to legalize our growler sales. It sounds like you have some good background in political issues and that @Providence should be able to help a lot too. A question I have is do you have a champion legislator at this point? Im assuming yes if someone is introducing bills, but maybe I misread a post. If you dont have one, I would cross reference legislative districts and breweries in RI and have the brewery owners, like Dave @othevad contact the legislator directly as a small business owner in the district. I bet you could get some legislator to visit a brewery and learn about the business and probably have samples and talk about how the current restrictions are hampering business growth for the industry etc. Maybe there are a few breweries in one legislative district and that would be your target for starting to find a champion.
    It is slightly complicated by the fact that a brewpub license doesnt have the same restrictions.
    I live in CT so Im not sure how much a contact would help except for increased tourism revenue maybe during out of state visits, but Id be glad to contact a legislator directly as well once you have a target and/or champion.
    Please keep us posted.

Michael_H and Providence like this.
  13. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

If you want a district with a bunch of breweries in it, I think the logical district would include Pawtucket. With Foolproof, Crooked current, and Bucket there that is the best starting point.

14. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Also, if you're looking for a senator, you may want to consider Josh Miller. He owns Trinity Brewhouse (although maybe that means he'd be opposed to this....).

15. NobleJayJesse

NobleJayJesse Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Connecticut

16. blisscent

blisscent Savant (1,066) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

almost there!!

17. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island

Today was a good day.

18. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Massachusetts

Is this some secret news or does anyone care to share what actually happened that made today a good day?

19. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Pooh-Bah (1,836) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Copied my update from the other thread...

The bill allowing RI breweries to sell up to 288 ounces for off-site consumption and up to 72 ounces for on-site consumption (per visitor per day) just passed the House unanimously (8 abstentions). We'll see how quickly the Senate passes this through.

In reading the bill, my only question is whether breweries will be able to sell bottles/cans or if only growlers-to-go are allowed. After the 288 ounce limit, it states "to be sold in bottles known as "growlers" that may hold no more than 72 oz each. That may be a concession to the liquor stores, so that they don't get shut out of revenue from brewery-only bottle releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.