Beer scene Dallas vs Houston

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by motash, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motash

motash Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2013

Just made a quick trip up to Dallas from Houston the other day and these are a couple of my observations:
    1. Breweries in DFW on a whole seem to be putting out more varied beer styles compared to the ones in Houston. I had a chance to sample some interesting beers from Cobra, Peticolas, Texas Ale Project and Oak Highlands. Keep in mind this is excluding the big hitters like Lakewood, Community and Deep Ellum. There is no way similar smaller and newer breweries in Houston like 11below, Spindletap, Bakfish and Town in City can even compare to those with their me too ambers and pale ales in terms of variety of offerings.
    2. Also had a chance to check out Taps and Caps which is primarily a growler fill place with on site beer consumption as well (with no kitchen) which had about 30 taps and the place was packed. I'm thinking in Houston we have two similar places - Premium Draught and Growlers to Go (which has since changed owners/concept) and am wondering why growler fill stations in Houston haven't had much success?

Thoughts/comments?

2. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

I can't speak to Houston's lack of success (and don't want to diminish the DFW bars' successes), but FWIW Taps & Caps had an existing customer base via Lonestar *and* is basically the only craft beer bar serving that area. The other well-known growler station in DFW, Craft & Growler, had a little more competition in the beer-bar business, but no real competition in the growler business, seemed to work hard on engaging the local community, and had really good prices on most things.

thatche2 and Monkeypuker like this.
  3. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Texas Beer Refinery has a lot of variety and hangs with any of those mentioned in my opinion.... Buffalo Bayou Brewing has lots of variety... Galveston Bay usually has ten to twelve different styles on tap at their room. There is also Brash Brewing..... Saloon Door is doing some different stuff down in Webster... lots of nitro also.. look at the Imagination series from 8th Wonder... lots of different styles there.

Bakfish will get there but they are the type that have said they don't want to throw anything out until it is the way they want it.

Galveston Island has had a good selection when I've been up there....

Spindletap isn't trying to be an everything for everyone from what I can tell... I think they are going to mainly try and appeal to more casual craft fans.

Houston is doing just fine... you are selling some really good breweries short. Dallas is doing fine also. Austin is doing better than both.

StArnoldFan, champ103 and TTUJohn like this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well, you are not going to sit at Premium Draught for long, it is such a tiny place and no bar to sit at, it is just a place to get stuff to go. There are a few tables outside to sit and enjoy a beer, but not really a place to linger like Taps & Caps. Typically I hate the Dallas/Houston comparisons. There are great breweries and beer bars in Houston, and I am sure great breweries in Dallas. In all reality, Houston, Dallas Metro, and San Antonio are on one level. Austin blows them all away, and it is not even close.

0B1 and mattisloco like this.
  5. ACGypsy

ACGypsy Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2014 Texas

I noticed that Thirsty Growler place on the north side of 121 is now open but have not been in. So Taps has some competition. Can't imagine that they will get better kegs than Rick and Sam though.

6. Clarkson

Clarkson Zealot (740) Feb 26, 2013 Texas

FWIW I think the same thing about DFW beers - a bunch of not exciting stuff like ambers and kolsch's. I think when all these new breweries in both Houston and DFW get some experience under their belts, there will be some more exciting beer being brewed. Starting off safe is what I think they are doing.......too safe IMHO

Went in there two weeks ago, about a week after they opened. Nice place. Definitely more of a sit down and have a beer vibe than the to-go feel T&C has. Prices are little higher, but I would expect them to come down once they get the kinks worked out. Had some decent stuff on tap, and the owner was a damn nice guy too.

rspauldi likes this.
  7. Trelvis

Trelvis Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2015 Texas

Agree completely with this statement. Alot of breweries making fairly basic beer. It surprises me that so many breweries open with really nothing to write home about.

Monkeypuker likes this.
  8. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

The problem is not that the beer styles are unexciting, but that the execution does not add anything to the market. If I could get a world-class Kolsch from a brewery a few miles from my house instead of having to travel to Cologne, I would find that exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.