Cannon Beach beer scene

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Jwilford23, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwilford23

Jwilford23 Initiate (161) Sep 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

Heading to Seattle,Portland,and Cannon Beach next week for vacation. Have the Seattle and Portland beer scene covered(mainly due to the 2 threads on here). Any breweries or beer bars in or close to Cannon Beach? Thank you

2. Babbo

Babbo Devotee (365) Mar 13, 2014 Washington

3. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

westcoastbeergeek likes this.
  4. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (1,237) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  5. Babbo

Babbo Devotee (365) Mar 13, 2014 Washington

If you get up to Astoria, Fort George certainly is worth a stop, as is the original Pelican location farther south on the cape.

cherche likes this.
  6. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Devotee (368) Aug 15, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

de Garde is a short drive south, can stop at Oswold State Park on the way for a short coastal hike. Well worth it if you enjoy wild ales. Air museum right next to the brewery if you like aviation.

cherche and Babbo like this.
  7. Jwilford23

Thanks for all the recommendations. Will certainly check out Pelican, Public Coast, and Bill's. Going to Astoria for a day so I'll absolutely go to Fort George. De Garde is on the agenda too, can't wait for that.

shnsajax likes this.
  8. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you're in Astoria on a weekend make sure you check out the taproom at Fort George and not just the pub. The more interesting brews are usually in the taproom. Also stop by Buoy while in Astoria. Great beer and food. Also one of the coolest views of any brewery I've visited.

JDHake79, sharpski, cherche and 2 others like this.
  9. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Cannon beach hardware usually has some good stuff on.

JDHake79 and maltmaster420 like this.
  10. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Which of these places has the best food? I've read some poor reviews of the food at Pelican.

11. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Buoy has killer food and really solid beer. So does Fort George. Pelican has really expensive food but the beer and location are worth the stop. I wouldn't eat there though.

TheBungyo likes this.
  12. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Poor food reviews of the new Cannon Beach location?
    Place has been open a month. Possible growing pains with new staff/chef/equip?

edit: reading the yelp reviews.
    Yeah, sounds like some serious growing pains. Hopefully they get it together by the time I get there in a few weeks.

#12 FEUO, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  13. TheBungyo

Pooh-Bah Society

I agree with this completely. The food at Buoy is delicious. There's a place in Astoria where people line up for fish and chips, Bowpicker. I thought the fish and chips at Bowpicker were OK, but damn, the fish and chips at Buoy are outstanding. Great cheese curds too.

14. Jwilford23

Any must eat at places in Cannon Beach?

15. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Pundit (820) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

It's kinda spendy, and has limited hours, but I love Castaways in Cannon Beach. Awesome southern type food, and great drinks. And for coffee, check out Sleepy Monk.

Jwilford23 likes this.
  16. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Oregon

I've never been there myself, but Seaside Brewing is just north Of Cannon Beach.

There is also a North Coast Craft Beer Trail website. It doesn't include Cannon Beach, but covers the stretch from Seaside to Astoria. Link below.

http://oregoncoastbeer.com/home-menu/

17. loren01

loren01 Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2004 Washington

Ive heard from several people the screw and brew in Cannon Beach is pretty cool. DeGarde is amazing. But my favorite on the coast is Ft George...id eat at Buoy but the taproom at Ft George is awesome....many beers from them you wont find anywhere else.

JDHake79 likes this.
  18. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've added Bowpicker to my to-do list. I'll queue up shortly before 11 to avoid lines - Albacore Tuna fish and chips is pretty unique.

I agree with all the comments on Fort George - really enjoyed their digs. I was persuaded into taking a brewery tour there by an employee, and it was actually awesome and very informative on Astoria history.

TheBungyo likes this.
  19. TheBungyo

Pooh-Bah Society

I really wish Fort George still did albacore fish and chips. They made me love that combo. Bowpicker was good, but not worth the wait IMO,especially when there's no wait over at Buoy. My girlfriend barely finished her Bowpicker food.
    Tour at Fort George is really good, one of the better tours I've been on for sure. Not that I've been on many.

JDHake79 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  20. Jwilford23

Looks like Buoy for lunch, then Fort George in Astoria.

And all the ones mentioned in Cannon Beach if i have enough down time. Thanks all!

TheBungyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.