Recommendations for Lake Willoughby, Attitash and Manchester areas

Discussion in 'New England' started by Karibourgeois, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

Getting married at a place by Lake Willoughby, VT and look for some local beer recommendations...breweries to visit, or beers to get to bring back. (I know Hill Farmstead isn't far). Also spending time at Attitash and flying in and out of Manchester, VT.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    thanks!
    Kari

2. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

HF is very very close! So is Parker Pie, and Kingdom Taproom in St J isn't "too" far away.

Maybe start with what days you'll be free to go beer hunting and others can make recommendations based on that.

Karibourgeois likes this.
  3. Karibourgeois

Deactivated

Thanks! I fly into Manchester on a Wed and am driving from there to Lake Willoughby. If there's some place to stop on the ride up that would have food and be kid friendly, that would be great. A few of us plan to hit HF on Friday afternoon and then maybe Sunday afternoon depending on how things are going. Monday we head to Attitash and can stop along the way. Tuesday its back head to Manchester to fly out Wed. My time is kind of limited I know but hoping to bring some things back to Austin...bottle shop recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply. Will look up Parker Pie

4. chewy527

HF is closed on Sundays, so I'd just plan around your Friday visit. Are you flying into Manchester New Hampshire ? You stated Vermont, I doubt they have an airport :slight_smile:

Generically I'd recommend you drive from Manchester NH to Waterbury, Montpelier, Burlington, Stowe area. Will be able to get tons of Heady Topper, and probably Focal Banger if you go after the new Alechemist brewery opens up in Stowe (early-mid July). Also can get Sip of Sunshine and other Lawson's stuff, not to mention the other great VT beers in the area. So much to do, and there are other topics in this message board with more info. I am sure others will help you as well.

5. Karibourgeois

Deactivated

Sorry, yes, flying into Manchester, NH but spending most of the trip in VT (5 days at Lake Willoughby). Wedding is 7/2, so I will be there prior to Alchemist opening. I guess I should have been clearer...Friday is planned for the HF visit....we have Sunday afternoon possibly open for another fairly close brewery visit as well. I'd love to find some place I can stop on the drive from Manchester to Lake Willoughby to buy some stuff for the wedding.

6. vtcraft

vtcraft Zealot (695) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

You are coming on a holiday weekend so finding heady and sip will be tough unless you are at the shops on delivery days/ times, check alchemist and Lawson's sites. without going out of your way You could pick up growlers at river roost in white river junction. The Hanover coop and beverage king in Lebanon NH also both have decent selections and nh prices(no tax or deposit) otherwise maybe a drive to hunger mountain coop...

#6 vtcraft, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lost Nation is open on Sunday's.

If you come up I93 on the way from Airport to the lake (and I assume you will) you will drive by The Woodstock Inn Brewery and One Love Brewing in Woodstock/Lincoln area. They are both pretty close to the exit, but neither are big players in the New England craft beer scene. Both are a decent place for a meal and brew if you want a break from your drive. If I had to choose, I would go to the Woodstock Inn.
    In Littleton, also an exit on I93, you can go to Schilling and get some growlers. They also have pretty good food. Above average traditional and non-traditional European style brews. Good place! Chutters, a candy store right near has Guiness World Record Candy counter.
    I can't think of any specific bottle shop that is worth writing about on this route, but most of the shops will have local options from NH/VT/ME.
    If you hit Parker Pie, they have a decent bottle section in the country store part. Stowe/Waterbury has the best craft store options for the area you will be staying.
    The von Trapp Brewery and Rock Art are also in striking distance. von Trapp is a nice location to sit and drink a beer. Rock Art has been putting out some really good IPA/DIPA in 16oz cans recently.

8. chewy527

Check out Bert's (store) in Hooksett. NH doesn't get crazy distribution, but his store gets most of what does make it there. And not really out of your way.

The NH liquor stores are pretty awesome too...right off the highway!

9. Karibourgeois

Deactivated

Thanks. Making notes and looking forward to it.

10. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

I have spent many a great day at Willoughby. Hope your wedding is great!

11. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sure some of us could find a use for some tasty Jester King brews you bring for the ride!

Hope your wedding is great! Enjoy!

12. Karibourgeois

Deactivated

I am bringing all the JK I can...for the wedding! Msg me and maybe we can do a trade. I'd be happy to send some after I get back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.