Alpine Liquor in Oregon, WI

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by bwelch21, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwelch21

bwelch21 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Wisconsin

Anyone know who bought the store? Been closed for a week now with a sign saying they were sold and will reopen in July. I know they recently split with the other store but not sure if they were going independent or joining up with someone else.

2. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

The one on far East Side of Madison was sold in April and reopened a few weeks ago under a new owner as City View Liquor. Don't know much about the Oregon location as I have never been there.

bwelch21 and TheStoutHound like this.
  3. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Savant (1,172) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

The owner of Harley's own's it

bwelch21 likes this.
  4. bwelch21

Sorry - not familiar with Harley's. Can you elaborate?

5. TheStoutHound

Trader

I apologize as I was referring to the Alpine in Madison. I'm not sure about the Oregon location. Harley's is located on Atwood and Cottage Grove Rd in Madison. The Atwood store has been expanding in the craft market and gets some quality stuff. The Cottage Grove Rd store is mainly macros and common craft beer. The owner is taking over the lease at the former Alpine on Cottage Grove Rd. It will be interesting to see if they remain as focused on craft as Alpine.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  6. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Harleys has 2 other locations, one on Monona right next to Michaels and the other is on Cottage Grove Rd near the ramp for 51. No idea why you would need 3 stores within 9min of each other, but they do. The one near 51 is not worth the stop.

Pretty crazy the Oregon location closed down. I know the owner had some horrific tax problems. I am guessing he had no choice but to sell. Must be new owners for the Oregon store also, but that is just a guess.

7. dcw6363

dcw6363 Zealot (528) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

The Harley's on Monona (where Atwood turns into Monona) has a decent selection for a small store. Prices are OK, typically a $ or two more than Woodman's. They have the basic TG, FFF, Surly, etc., and they are a good source of CW BB stuff. (CW stuff tends to last longer there than at, say, Star.) However they do not sell many (any?) bombers (this is fine with me but some people like bombers). Also sometimes they jack up the price on limited stuff like Zombie Dust and BCBS.

No inside info on how they'll run the old Alpine though.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  8. bwelch21

Thanks for the responses. Fingers crossed the new owners are good. Last time I went by the shelves were still stocked... makes me so sad seeing all the good beer wasting away.

9. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Really? I loved that location (Alpine) as they had a better selection than Woodmans (for what I look for) with comparable prices. I have not visited it as City View, but the twitter feed has shown they are getting in decent beer to start.

10. TheStoutHound

Trader

I was referring to the Cottage Grove Rd Harley's, not Alpine

11. Brocklanders34

Brocklanders34 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Wisconsin

Was anyone a member of the beer club? Just wondering how that panned out.

12. bwelch21

I was at the Oregon store. It actually worked pretty well. Always got full allotments that they set aside for specific breweries where they wanted you to build credit. Also liked having some of the better stuff set aside, too.

13. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Beer Club is on hiatus. I think they want to get something a bit more sophisticated that would likely span all 3 stores

14. uwmgdman

uwmgdman Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2006 Wisconsin

As a resident of Oregon I'm sad to see it go. This article (below) implies the status of the space is in limbo. At one point it seemed as if it was sold to someone who was going to reopen it, but this article doesn't give me that vibe.

I'm sad to see it go because, while old school (notebook and pen), the beer club was a great way to reward customers that work during the day and can't chase beer trucks around. It is a great concept and hope if a new liquor store opens they follow something similar.

I'm also sad because I work in central Madison, so this was a great place to stop and get good beer on the way home. Now I've gotta head to Steve's on University or Fitchburg or Woodman's on the west side--but that's an extra 30 min on the trip home which is waaaaay less convenient. If I was able I'd buy it and run it, but not doable for me.

http://www.unifiednewsgroup.com/ore...cle_b466d6d7-af42-5446-a5d1-457d07257910.html

Gotti311 likes this.
  15. bwelch21

Yeah, definitely disappointing that it hasn't turned stayed a viable store with the past or new owners. Hopefully soon, because I agree that driving to anywhere else is a pain (and Bill's isn't terrible but definitely doesn't cut it).

16. uwmgdman

uwmgdman Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2006 Wisconsin

I agree. For a independent grocery store Bill's has a nice craft beer selection, but for getting rare releases, etc. you are SOL.

17. ChummersPGuy

ChummersPGuy Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Wisconsin

There are now numerous "CLOSED" signs on all the windows. It was a decent store, but I work in Madison, so I never felt the need to stop there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.