What beers to buy in Northwest Indiana?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jbuitron, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Aspirant (281) Sep 11, 2015 Illinois

I'm visiting Northwest Indiana from Texas and was wondering which beers up there people would recommend I buy to take back and share with my fellow Texans. Obviously this is geared towards beers I can't get in Texas so I'm looking at smaller, local breweries. And while I am driving I don't plan on buying every six pack I see that I can't get in Texas. Just top 4 or 5 beers worth sharing. I'm talking regular shelf stuff, not special release stuff. Beers that can be found in a regular store, not some special out of the way super beer store. Oh, and one more caveat, beers other than Zombie Dust.

2. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (0) May 19, 2016 Illinois

Temporal Purgatory - 18th Street Brewery
    Gumball Head - 3 Floyds (Since you said other than ZD)

3. kodt

kodt Pooh-Bah (2,262) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would pick up some 18th St, Three Floyds, and Burn'em Brewing beers.

4. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Within the last month 3 Floyds has released bombers of War Mullet, Artic Panzer Wolf, and Dreadnaught. All are really good and worth grabbing on a liquor store shelf

5. bearbeerboss80

bearbeerboss80 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2016 Indiana

Hunter by 18th St, Amber Smash and Gumball Head by Three Floyds, and Soul Ride by Fountain Square Brewery

6. CoeurdeLion

CoeurdeLion Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2016 Indiana

This.

7. AGirlandHerStout

AGirlandHerStout Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2014 Indiana

Anything from Burn 'em Brewing. And 18th street as mentioned above.

8. YoungLad

YoungLad Zealot (583) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Anything?

I like, and recommend, Burn 'em; but, that said, I can't say "anything". IMO, they tend to suffer from the disease a lot of brewers (most prominently Dog Fish Head) fall prey to. Basically, its throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. I've had some brews from Burn Em that had me shaking my head.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  9. AGirlandHerStout

AGirlandHerStout Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2014 Indiana

Yes, they make strange beers, but everything that I've had from them in cans/bottles has been worth it. Yes, even the Kreamed Corn beer, albeit a bit strange, wasn't bad. I've seen some strange things on their tap list that I haven't tried and they sound a bit off putting but since I've not tried them I can't judge. But what they retail out, I haven't been disappointed in. To each his own.

YoungLad likes this.
  10. psykosis

psykosis Initiate (0) May 21, 2009 Indiana

Most anything from Bare Hands is worth picking up as well, and if you find it, House from Central State and any Black Acre beers you come across (not sure if they are seeing distribution up there).

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  11. fatdeets

fatdeets Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

pretty sure NWI sees fatheads distro. that would be worth checking out...

12. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Zealot (591) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Central State is Brett only beers so that might be a turn off to you, not sure.

I wouldn't consider Black Acre even near the top of beers in Indiana, so I would skip on those.

I visited Four Fathers Brewing in Valparaiso yesterday and really enjoyed their Sloth Love Crunch. Not sure how widely distributed that is, but it was delicious.

13. cducap

cducap Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2011 Indiana

OP make sure you check dates if you are beer shopping in NW Indiana or better yet, go to the brewery. Many of our bottle shops have really old IPAs laying around. Sometimes a year or more.

Hitting the local breweries is no doubt the best bet.

14. YoungLad

YoungLad Zealot (583) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana

Don't take me the wrong way, I really like Burn Em, and whenever I'm out Michigan City way I stop in. And, qualifying my comment - I agree, the stuff you can get in cans is worth checking out. Just really commenting moreso on some of the more adventuresome draft offerings - I can't recall its name, but they put out a beer last summer that had a vegetable flavor to it, maybe green peppers? That's what I'm referring to.

15. spicoli00

spicoli00 Pooh-Bah (2,231) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

16. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

Burn 'Em is a must along with 3F

17. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 Indiana

Three floyds, 18th street, Burn 'em, four fathers, New Oberpfalz

OP what part of NW Indiana? I would suggest buying from the brewery direct if you can. Some things that are great beers tend to sit around here.

18. warpig372

warpig372 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Indiana

Northwest Indiana offers such a great choice in beers you really can't go wrong. My personal opinion is 3 Floyds and 18th street. But overall any brewery on the area is impressive.

19. Ditkastache

Ditkastache Devotee (358) Dec 7, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Transient may be worth a trip as well.

20. cetherid

cetherid Savant (1,081) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

A lot of the Burn Em IPAs/DIPAs I've had have been very buttery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.