62 of the Best Pilsners, Blind-Tasted and Ranked

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cid71, Jun 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is being discussed in the Germany forum (the Märican Biere Bought and Drunk... thread) as a side topic if anybody cares to read those comments/posts.

IMO this topic is deserving of its own stand-alone thread.

Cheers!

TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"In reality, no nation is presenting such a tremendous variety of pilsners today as the U.S.A. When you see the word in a craft brewer’s lineup, you never truly know what to expect. It could be a classical German or Czech-style pils, or a throwback “pre-prohibition” American lager. It could feature fruity, nouveau American hop varieties. It might even be a faux-pilsner fermented with light, neutral ale yeast for the sake of efficiency and turnaround time. You’ll find all of them in abundance these days. It is, all in all, a good time for pilsner, and a good season for pils. And so, let’s get on with the blind tasting."

This paragraph worth the price of admission, as it is current and spot on. At least around here.

3. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

4. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Interesting article, thanks for posting. Gave me a few ideas.

5. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Anyone tried the winner? I love Urban Chestnut, so I don't doubt they make a stellar pilsner, but I struggle not seeing Prima, Pivo, or Pony closer to the top.

6. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I have not had the pleasure of drinking Urban Chestnut Stammtisch but the below write-up from the second Paste article sure makes it sound tasty.

I have only had a few Urban Chestnut beer brands but IMO they were excellent beers. I am a huge fan of the Zwickel.

"The #1 pilsner of our blind tasting, Stammtisch is the product of the German beer style geniuses over at St. Louis’ Urban Chestnut, who we recently called the most underrated brewery in Missouri. Like most of their beers, it’s not outstanding on one specific level but instead the product of careful craftsmanship across the board. It’s a very traditional German pilsner; it’s just the execution that sticks in one’s mind, from the lightly bready, doughy maltiness to its floral hop bouquet. If a beer such as Prince of Pilsen is the logical end product of a style like pilsner being co-opted by the American craft brewing movement, then Stammtisch is evidence of the opposite—the craft community’s reverence for its history but simultaneous dedication toward continuing to refine those classic styles. More than 174 years after the creation of the first pilsner, it’s a beer that convinces the drinker of the style’s continued vitality."

Cheers!

7. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Below is a description of Coronado Seacoast Pilsner with a portion that I bolded:

8. Coronado Brewing Co. Seacoast Pilsner

“City: Coronado, CA

ABV: 4.9%

The verdict: This isn’t the first time that Coronado has scored a top spot in one of our hop-forward blind tastings—their 19th Anniversary DIPA was a hugely impressive #8 of 115 in our tasting last year, and here they are at #8 once again in a different style. Seacoast, however, ultimately earned more points from us because of malt influences rather than hops—there’s a wonderfully complex, very bready, doughy malt body in this little pilsner, a slightly yeast-forward expression that plays nicely with lightly floral and herbal hops. Looking at the pilsners that made it to the very tip-top of this tasting, “malt complexity” becomes one of the most common x-factors they all tend to share, and Coronado does quite well in that regard.’

I think it is noteworthy that the judges of this competition valued “malt complexity”.

Cheers!

8. nick0417

Love their zwickel - outstanding, outstanding beer. Same goes for their hefe and their Oktoberfest. Their pumpkin stout is also damn tasty as well.

champ103, TongoRad and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I thought this was an exceptional year for the pilsner. I just bought another new one from Southern Tier. I like Genesee as far as the ones I have tried this year and overall for the best new German Style Pils . My ticks in that category tell the story. Three cheers for the return of the pilsner!

10. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe the 'answer' is: "Looking at the pilsners that made it to the very tip-top of this tasting, “malt complexity” becomes one of the most common x-factors they all tend to share, and Coronado does quite well in that regard.’

Cheers!

ONovoMexicano and nick0417 like this.
  11. nick0417

Fair enough, though Pony has a really nice malt complexity to it.

Zonk likes this.
  12. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just looked at UCB's web site and they don't even list the Stammtisch in bottles yet. :astonished:

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I have only had Pony once on draft and FWIW the term "malt complexity" was not something I would highlight for this beer. Don't get me wrong in that I enjoyed drinking that beer but the aspect of "malt complexity" did not specifically jump out for my palate.

I would order this beer again if I see it on draft and I am certain that I would enjoy drinking it again.

Needless to say we all of our own unique palates and desires on what we seek for a given beer style.

Cheers!

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

From the second Paste article:

[​IMG]

cavedave likes this.
  15. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Those of you in the distro area for Summit Brewing really need to grab their 30th Anniversary Keller Pils, which was the #2 beer in this tasting. It is an excellent beer and won't be around long.

cjgiant, drtth, Minnebrew and 3 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I just received a personal e-mail from my local beer store: "12 packs of Summit Keller Pils just arrived".

Woo-Hoo!. I will be buying a 12 pack of this beer tonight.

Have you ever seen a sports team chant: "We are Number 2! We are Number 2!":astonished: Well me neither but since Urban Chestnut is not distributed to my area and I more than thrilled to buy Number 2!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

17. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm surprised that Wussie was so high on the list and hasn't seen much of any distribution yet. At least I haven't seen it. I want it though.

18. Crusader

Crusader Pooh-Bah (1,651) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden
    Pooh-Bah Society

There's also a picture on the beer's product page. Looks like a tasty and interesting beer based on the specs.

ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 5.4%
    HOP BITTERNESS (IBU): 35
    COLOR: Straw Gold
    OG: 13.1 Plato
    HOPS: Hallertau Merkur, Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hallertau Hersbrucker, Strisselspalt
    MALTS: Pilsner

At 13.1% OG it's obviously something apart from most modern German Pilsner beers but the people at Flensburger might give them some slack at least:stuck_out_tongue:.

[​IMG]

19. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Nice to see Von Trapp's pils in fifth place.

Any New Englander keen on more trad takes on Austro-German lagers should check out this brewery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.