Help me Plan my Roadtrip (OH, MI, WI, IL, IN)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by HopQuest, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopQuest

HopQuest Aspirant (241) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut

Hello Great Lakes group! I usually hang out over in the New England group but thought I would come over for some guidance/suggestions.

In mid July my family and I are driving from Connecticut to Michigan, then to Green Bay (son is a huge Packers fan) and then back. I am looking for some suggestions on where to stop that would be awesome along our Route. Our trip will go as follows:

Connecticut to Columbus, then north to Detroit.
    Detroit to Grand Rapids, then from GR up to Ludington across the ferry to Green Bay.
    After Green bay down to Milwaukee
    Then Milwaukee thru Chicago and back to Ann Arbor

A long trip to be sure, I am hoping to hit up Hoof Hearted along the way and also Jolly Pumpkin, Founders and Three Floyds.

Are there any other spots I should not miss? How easy is it to get PipeWorks and Half Acre outside of Chicago (don't think we will have time to explore ChiTown this trip). Is Hoof Hearted an easy stop for cans or are there typically lines and long waits? Where should we stop for good food?

Thank you for any input, I appreciate it. Cheers.

2. Slush

Slush Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2015 Illinois

If you stop at any Binny's store in the suburbs surrounding Chicago you will have no problem finding some Pipeworks and Half Acre. I'd just look up their locations and see which is least out of the way from the route you are taking.

3. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Since you're headed to Green Bay, I'd recommend Stone Arch Brewing in Appeton, WI. Their Vanilla Stout is killer, I just wish I didn't have to go 5+ hours to get it.

4. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio

If you're coming via I90 to catch 71S to CBUS, Voodoo in Meadville (PA), Willoughby Brewing Co, The Brew Kettle, and Fat Heads are all along that corridor without straying to far off the highway route. Once out of Cleveland-metro, JAFB-Wooster is an easy jog of 71. In CBUS, Wolf's Ridge, Seventh Son, and Hoof Hearted are must stops. Progressing out of Ohio to the Northwest is slim pickings until you are well into Michigan. If you head up 23 out of Columbus, just keeping going to Detroit. There you will find Schramm's Meadery and Kuhnhenn's in the Detroit metro. From Detroit, take 94 West and stop in Ann Arbor for Jolly Pumpkin and HopCat, Battle Creek for Arcadia, Marshall for Dark Horse and Kalamazoo for Bells. Once in GR, Brewery Vivant, HopCat, Founders, and Sicilianos Market.

While in Wisconsin, be sure to hunt New Glarus, Tyranena, and Central Waters goods. On the return trip via Chicago, a stop at Binnys on Jefferson (right off the Dan Ryan) will cover your Chicago local needs (PW, Half Acre, etc). Once out of Chicago and heading east, 3 Floyds or 18th Street are right over the Indiana line. Safe travels @HopQuest

5. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Pooh-Bah (1,946) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Visit Titletown in Green Bay. There's a reason they won Best Brewpub in America. If Bourbon Legend is on tap you should drink it until they physically cut you off.

6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

You can hit Bell's in the itinerary that Stinger80OH suggested above, or hit them on your last leg from Chicago to Ann Arbor (you'll be going right thru Kalamazoo on I-94). Bell's is a must-visit. If you do hit Bell's, you can also catch Arcadia in Kzoo (about a quarter mile east of Bell's) or in Battle Creek per Stinger's suggestion. (Arcadia in Kzoo is closed on Mondays, and Arcadia in BC is closed on Sundays.) Twelve miles east of Battle Creek is Dark Horse, and a visit there is an enlightening experience. (If you stop at Dark Horse on a Saturday or Sunday, make time to take the tour because it includes sampling beers in the VIP room, and typically they'll have BBA Plead the Fifth on tap along with one or two of their other highly-rated beers. If the timing is right, take the tour first so you'll know how much more that you can drink if you stay for some of their super pizza or sandwiches.)

Stinger80OH and archiebunkerjr like this.
  7. KBS

KBS Savant (1,078) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

If you are going to be in Wi on the 23rd heading South from Green Bay you can stop into Central Waters which is 45 minutes West of Appleton. Go another 20-30 minutes west after central waters and go to O'so. They have a release party (ticketed, you are too late) for bottles and should have some great Sours on tap if you are into them.

Central waters brewers reserve BB Scotch ale is releasing in Wi the week of the 11th too so if you like Backwoods, you will like the CW (I like it better).

8. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Sorry for the son being a Packers fan (Bear Down!).

Honestly, just depends on the route. If you head through Ohio to Columbus on I-70, I'd suggest a few stops:

-Weasel Boy in Zanesville
    - Buckeye Lake Brewery (can you guess what village this is part of?)
    - Homestead in Heath

I'd recommend Linser's American Maid at Weasel Boy, Shovelhead at Buckeye Lake, and 3MC's at Homestead.

All 3 of those places are less than 10 minutes off/on of I-70.

9. spartan3186

spartan3186 Zealot (541) Jan 18, 2016 Maryland

Lakefront Brewery has one of the best brewery tours I've ever been on. Sprecher Brewery has great root beer in addition to their adult beverages if you're looking for something kid friendly.

10. jampics2

jampics2 Pooh-Bah (2,340) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Skip Hoofie, detour to Cleveland and head straight to Fat Head's.

11. tjames921

tjames921 Aspirant (243) Jan 21, 2009 Ohio

Hoof Hearted does can releases at their production brewery in Marengo, OH, but only on select days (usually 2-3 Sunday's a month). It's a ticketed release, so you'd you have to be passing through at the right time. The brewpub in Columbus is open Wednesday - Sunday and does Growler fills (you can bring your own). If the can release doesn't sell out they have been selling some extras at the Brewpub, but the IPA release always sell out.

djtothemoney likes this.
  12. Adub1980

Adub1980 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2016 Wisconsin

Enjoy the Trip! I live about 20 min from the Ferry in Wisconsin and hope some day to make the journey over to MI. A few ideas while in WI, hit up Ridgeview Liquor which is a few blocks from Lambeau, probably the best selection in the area. Hinterland Brewery in GB is very nice and Badger State Brewing is a block or so from Lambeau that has a nice tap room. 3 Sheeps Brewing in Sheboygan (just south of Manitowoc) would be a good stop on the way down to Milwaukee. Central Waters and O'so are great, if you wanted to add some additional miles to the trip.

13. mseitz24

mseitz24 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

If you like barrel aged stuff you have to hit central waters. Head west from green bay and hit central waters, south past madison and hit tyranena then back east to Milwaukee. It's a detour but if your big on barrel aged stuff it's worth it.

14. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Pundit (866) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Stinger's game plan taking 94 West from Detroit is money. My tweaks to his plan includes visiting Arcadia Ales in Kalamazoo instead of their brewpub in Battle Creek. Arcadia's new brewpub in Kalamazoo is only a year or two old and is much much nicer than their brewpub in Battle Creek. Also, Arcadia's Kalamazoo site is only a quarter mile from Bell's.

Definitely swing by Dark Horse. I was just there tonight and it's just a great place for a beer. It's a better than average place for kids to hang out at as well.

I like all the Grand Rapids destinations that Stinger stated but I would add Perrin's as well.

Don't forget to look in a bottle shop or two for some beer from Short's. Their Spruce Pilsner is due to be out in July but I'm not sure exactly when. And they just released Strawberry Short's Cake this week. You may find some of this still around during your trip. Enjoy!

Stinger80OH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Check out Hinterland in Green Bay. You should also check out 3 Sheeps in Sheboygan when you are leaving GB to Milwaukee.

16. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You'll love Founders in Grand Rapids as they have a killer beer garden. I would make a stop at 3 Floyds a top priority. The great thing about New Glarus is that you couldn't avoid it in Wisconsin if you tried

17. BrandonK

BrandonK Devotee (332) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Grand Rapids has a ton of breweries, definitely allow enough time to fully enjoy Founders. I've been to Brewery Vivant and have never really been impressed. I'd go there for no other reason than its one of the coolest looking brewpubs I've ever seen. I really dig The Mitten Brewing Company, outstanding pizza and good beer.

As far as 3 Floyds goes, if it's the weekend it's usually packed and their brewpub is tiny. If you can make that a weekday stop you're likely to have a better experience.

18. NABS

NABS Initiate (0) May 11, 2011 Ohio

Can't speak to many of the locales to which you are traveling, but if you're doing 3 Floyds, I'd definitely include 18th St. also. Was there this past winter and the BA Devil's Spear was good, and the Cone Crusher I brought home was quite the surprisingly good. Also, agree on hitting up a Binny's to find lots of good local options. Went to one on the aforementioned winter trip also and a friend just picked up a ton of stuff last week. Also agreed on the watch your time/date at 3 Floyds. We arrived on a Saturday after a holiday, before opening, in the rain, and there was already a substantial line. We waited as close as possible to 11 and had probably a good 20-25 minute wait to get in.

As far as Ohio, not sure about routes, but Willoughby Brewing (Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter, Nutsmasher, Weasel Nutsmasher) would be great, but Fat Head's & Brew Kettle are both great for beer and food options. (The 6 Way Chili at Brew Kettle is my favorite!) Never been to HH, so you'll have to take others' advice.

Enjoy your, and have a safe, trip.

19. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

For the Ohio leg, I would recommend Hoof Hearted, Wolf's Ridge, and Seventh Son in Columbus. The Hoof Hearted brewpub (downtown Columbus) is only open certain days of the week, so be prepared. All of their IPAs/DIPAs are excellent. They have a facility a bit out of Columbus-- others have mentioned the pertinent details beside the fact that the canning events are announced via Facebook on Mondays, tickets are sold at noon on Wednesday, and can allotments can be picked up from 12-5p on Sunday for the relevant release.

Wolf's Ridge and Seventh Son are the other two Columbus breweries that get the most praise. All three of the aforementioned breweries (HH's brewpub, not the canning facility) are on one street fairly close to each other. Wolf's Ridge has excellent dark beers. Seventh Son's Syzygy and Humulus Nimbus are great. Hoof Hearted's Konkey Dong, Roller Blabe, and South of Eleven are the flagship brews and may be available at the Columbus taproom. Wet When Slippery and Rose Gose are also personal favorites.

As far as bottle shops go, Palmer's and Weiland's are fairly close to the above breweries. If you have the time, the best Ohio brews include Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA and Brew Kettle's White Rajah IPA. You may find local Columbus beers in these shops as well. I would avoid Four String brewing if possible. I have had zero good beers from them and don't understand why the market exists for their poor beer. Rhinegeist and Madtree (Cincinnati breweries) should be easy to find in cans as well.

Enjoy the trip!

20. Big_Neezy

Big_Neezy Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2016 Michigan

When coming to Detroit. Skip the breweries located in Detroit because the breweries in the burbs are better ie. Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead, Griffin Claw, etc. Or kill several birds with one stone and hit HopCat in either midtown Detroit or the one in Ann Arbor. HopCat has 150 handles with 75% of that being in-state brews. The Cinderella beer of 2016: Jaden James Peanut Butter Porter on tap. I'm more of a traditionalist myself but this beer blew me away.

In Ann Arbor, if you have to choose one brewery, choose Arbor Brewing Company. Jolly Pumpkin is a bigger company but not necessarily better, unless you really like sours. Watch the parking gestapo in A2 as well. Parking is their second biggest industry next to pumping out future generations of liberals and Republicans at the University.

Grand Rapids might have to be a return visit on it's own but Founder's should be the priority. However, Brewery Vivant, Perrin, Harmony, Mitten all bring something solid to the table. The surrounding areas have great sleeper breweries that don't get enough recognition like: Jaden James, Big Lake, White Flame. There is also a HoCat in GR. You could ostensibly do a HopCat tour now that they have a dozen locations throughout the midwest. I applaud them for their partnerships established in the industry.

Did you know you can take a ferry from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI across Lake Michigan? Sounds like you're going to be spending a lot of seat time in the car and this might be a nice break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.