"Why you can't get a pint in a beer bar anymore"

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Smakawhat, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mactrail

mactrail Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,415) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Perhaps flogging the donkey, but did anyone mention that in the Olde Countrie the other standard beer size, besides the beloved pint, is a "half." For ladies, and tourists like me wishing to try the Badger Best Bitter as well as the other five ales lined up with hand pumps.

2. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Out of interest, what's the price of a pint where you guys live? Say for a regular pale ale or porter.

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do you mean plenty of "shaker pints" or actual 16 oz. pours?

In Boston, for just a regular old pale ale, I'd say a "pint" (see 14 oz. in a shaker pint glass) is ~$6 - 7 most places depending on the beer. Old stand bys like Harpoon IPA or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale can be $5 some places.

4. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

In my neck of the woods, $6 for a 16oz pour of a "regular" craft beer seems to be the going rate at bars. Breweries and brewpubs tend to charge lower prices. Macro-type drafts (Bud, Coors, Labatt, Yuengling) are in the $3-$4 range.

5. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

I know a bar in town that only does pint beer. So a 12% stout will come out in a pint glass but it will cost you $12+

6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Prices in the US can vary greatly based on geographic area or market.

I live in Southeastern PA. Here in the suburbs, at a nice gastropub that serves a lot of craft beer, I'd expect to pay about $5 or $6. But in downtown Philadelphia, expect to pay $6 or $7, maybe as high as $8. Go the other direction into a more rural area (or a dive bar around here), and while you may have a harder time with variety of beer available, you can probably get a pint of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sam Adams Boston Lager for $4, maybe cheaper during happy hour or on special.

#66 jmdrpi, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    russpowell and JackHorzempa like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wasn't that when we swore beer from longnecks tasted better than cans?

bushycook, TongoRad and LuskusDelph like this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like shaker pints as drinking vessels. I usually request a tulip or even a red wine glass for any beer they serve. They always say your getting less beer, as always I'm not sweating 2 oz of lost beer.

9. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Sure. Because it did generally taste better from longnecks than cans.
    In reality though, most of the beer aficionados I knew in the early '80s (and yes, there was such a thing way back then ...and even before that) swore that beer tasted best poured into a glass (it still does).

10. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yep. We used little juice glasses and thought we were cool.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have grown accustomed to the techniques explained in the article and that many others have seen - higher ABV beers in smaller glasses. I actually have grown to appreciate it for two reasons
    • a smaller pour allows me to try another beer that I may want to have more easily
    • tangentially related to the previous: tipsiness/drunkenness
    I have actually grown to appreciate the latter more and more as your pervasive IPAs have gone from the 6% ABV range to the 7-8% range (with IIPAs getting bumped higher). Note also I have seen a few local places rein this in recently, getting back to 6% ABV IPAs.

But really, the first option is the main reason. Even if I know like a beer, and even if that beer needs to warm up a bit after coming straight from the tap, I'd prefer to have a "fresh pour" of another 10 oz than get all 20 oz right up front. If it's new to me, I'd rather give 10 oz a chance than 16 - you can tell something about a beer from a sample/taster, but not everything.

Although I know it is more expensive (to the bar, passed ono to me/others), I really do prefer the places that give us customers at least 2, if not 3, pour size options - as long as the bar is honest about the pour sizes, each can make their own decision. That way all of us have the potential to be happy at the same place :slight_smile:.

12. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Only low ABV beer gets served in pint glasses.

13. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think this is (literally) a tempest in a pint glass. Every bar I ever go to has either macro or European beer served in pint glasses. For the reasons expressed in the article, either (i) pint glasses are too large to serve high ABV beers, or (ii) the experience of certain craft beer is enhanced by drinking from other glassware. If you want to drink a high ABV Stout, Quad, IPA etc., you can buy a can and pour it into a pint glass. Otherwise, if you want a pint, then order a Smithwicks.

14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

In Northern NJ a brew like SNPA, Brooklyn Lager or Dogfish 60 min. IPA for between 5 and 7 $ a pint. A pint of Guinness sell for a $ less.

15. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All problems with the article aside, I think that what he's getting at is that "pints" are getting harder to find these days with smaller pours of special and stronger beers becoming more common, as well as the greater use of specialty glass in general.

I've been to bars where I've wanted a pint, and nothing smaller, for whatever reason (the bar is full and it's hard to get a beer; I'm watching the band and don't want to lose my spot every time I need a beer; I'll be out on the back deck and there's no service or bar out there; etc.) and found that my choices were extremely limited. It's great that they've got gose and double IPAs and rare stuff, but right now I just want a decent pint!

#75 NeroFiddled, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

There's a few places here where anything higher than 7% goes into a 10 oz glass. I think it's a smart idea.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  17. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Zealot (575) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

I traveled in the UK a few summers ago; all I was ever served was shaker pints. Regardless of its history, it seems they're pretty ubiquitous.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. WicksCherrycoke

WicksCherrycoke Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 District of Columbia

No establishment in the DMV (DC, MD, VA) that serves "craft" is trying to deceive drinkers, they are attempting to market enjoyment/experience over intoxication. They are not putting 12 ounces of coffee in a one pound can. Menus and beer lineups are clear on the pour and ABV, and sometimes the type of glass you'll get. Ask for your pour in a pint glass or order a pint of you miss those things. Or you can go to a DMV beer garden and get a 2L glass boot of beer for a different experience. Dram law doesn't change since it does not relied on drink counts. My problem is negotiating the physics of drinking beer pours out of a high stem glass.

drtth likes this.
  19. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Grand Pooh-Bah (4,393) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have noticed over the last three years or so, that most bars will have several different glass shapes to match with the beer. Pints are still used for pouring from bottles or cans, and for the mass produced.
    As long as the menu clearly states the price and size, I'm good.

20. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's about 50/50 where I live. Half nonic half shaker. I much prefer the shaker, it feels less flimsy.

drtth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.