Long Trail Space Juice

Discussion in 'New England' started by DarkDragon999, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Is it showing up in MA at all? I'd like to try. From the descriptions, it sounds a lot like Citra Ass Down from Against the Grain (which recently showed up in 16oz cans here).

2. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Zealot (626) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

VT only for the time being with greater distro in 2016.

3. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

Picked up a 4 pack. It's very tasty. The only thing that bothered me is the heat from the high ABV (8.7%). I think it needs a week or two after purchase to "mellow out" and that likely won't hurt the hop aroma/taste much.

skivtjerry likes this.
  4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Pooh-Bah (1,841) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Very good point about the ABV. I'm a little perturbed by all the DIPA's going up to 9-10%, and even many 'single IPA's are over 7% these days. We need a significant alcohol content to deliver those water-insoluble hop goodies to our taste buds, but it can definitely be overdone. To me, the sweet spot is 7.5-8.0% for a DIPA and 6.0-6.5 for a single. Above that level, the alcohol starts taking over, and an IPA doesn't have anything to support it, unless it's too malty. In that case you have a half-ass barley wine calling itself a DIPA.

Brad007, woodfinish and iwantmorehops like this.
  5. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

I know what you mean, but I've had some pretty damn good 9%+ DIPAs. Trillium's Heavy Mettle comes to mind immediately. I guess it doesn't hurt that I like a little booziness, but I think there are ways to make stronger IPAs work without creating malt bombs.

6. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I saw this at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro. I wish stores in RI had it.

YS1977 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.