Tröegs Perpetual vs Tröegs Nimble Giant. Why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Zealot (516) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

I have been a fan of Troeg Perpetual Imperial IPA for quite some time now. In my humble opinion, it is one of the finest in the style, though it might sometimes fly under the radar. I just noticed a new offering from Troeg - new for me anyway; I've not seen it before - and it is also an Imperial (or Double) IPA. It is called Nimble Giant and it comes in a four pack of cans. A couple of questions: First, what would prompt a brewery to release a second beer in a style in which they already have an entry? In other words, why do you suppose Troeg's Brewing would have found the need to create and market a second Imperial IPA? Further, how commonly is this phenomenon found in the craft beer industry? Now, for the more interesting question: Has anyone had a chance to compare the two (Perpetual and Nimble Giant)? If so, what did you think? Which do you like better? For the record, I picked up both beers today and hope to conduct my own back-to-back taste test and comparison tomorrow.

2. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Pooh-Bah (2,018) Aug 16, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

i've always considered Perpetual IPA an IPA (not a doubleIPA), regardless. sidenote: [Troegs themselves call it an "Imperial Pale Ale", not an Imperial IPA]

Many breweries have 2 different double IPAs, it certainly isn't unheard of. Especially if 1 is year-round and the other is seasonal/rotational; that could be pretty much every brewery. if you count breweries as having an IPA and DoubleIPA that pretty much is every craft brewer.

Nimble Giant is better than Perpetual and in my eyes it isn't close.

3. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

It also seems like breweries are using seasonal and one offs to play with hops or other ingredients they don't use in their flag ship beers.

4. hillind

hillind Pundit (971) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

They are completely different beers and if I'm not mistaken, Nimble Giant is a seasonal or one time release only.
    I think Troegs is just trying to capitalize on the current trend of fruity and tropical IIPAs in 16oz 4 pks. It's a very good beer by the way, especially when you don't have to wait in line to get it. In no way is this competing with Perpetual, completely different ends of the IPA spectrum. Hope you enjoy!

5. Patches826

Patches826 Pooh-Bah (2,345) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wait. You're surprised a brewery makes more than one IPA? At this point I think I can name more breweries that do than don't.

6. HermitDan

HermitDan Pundit (929) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

As everyone else has said having multiple IPAs on a brewer's lineup isn't weird. As for Perpetual vs. Nimble Giant, I think Nimble Giant is very well crafted and Perpetual is a bit overhyped.

7. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

If breweries didn't do this they could only produce a finite number of beers. Many of which no one gave a shit about and many of which might not even be good.

8. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Why do a lot of breweries have 5 ipas and one stout. Who knows. River horse is doing it. River horse ipa amd Hippotizing. One is more hazy hoppy and the other is maltier. Different hops make different ipas.

9. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Pooh-Bah (2,096) Dec 12, 2014 Chile
    Pooh-Bah

Well, there are some breweries that the only thing or most of what they do are IPAs. Non coincidentally said breweries are really hyped.

Gemini6 likes this.
  10. SummitSeries72

I guess I hadn't seen that before. You are correct; Troeg's Perpetual does actually include the words "Imperial Pale Ale" on the bottle, though below the line that says "IPA." On Beer Advocate, it is labeled an Imperial/Double IPA. I did see that Nimble Giant is rated higher than Perpetual. I will have my own taste test later today. I am looking forward to it. I must say that I have loved Perpetual till now. I'll be curious to see if Nimble Giant will dethrone Perpetual in my thinking.

11. SummitSeries72

I agree. More and more, we are seeing just what you say. Case in point: Firestone Walker Luponic Distortion, which I will also be sampling later today.

larryi86 likes this.
  12. seanchai

seanchai Maven (1,418) May 23, 2009 Virginia

Regarding Nimble Giant vs. Perpetual, I feel exactly the way you do, except the opposite :slight_smile: Perpetual for the win. I think it may be a personal taste preference as I'm discovering I'm not a huge fan of Mosaic hops.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  13. pinyin

pinyin Savant (1,065) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Nimble Giant is a seasonal.

It's okay, but nothing special. The azacca hops don't really jive too well with the mosaic and simcoe.

As for Troeg's reasoning on marketing two different DIPA's-different hops, malts and yeast create a different flavor profile.

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  14. Gemini6

Gemini6 Savant (1,165) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

I have often noticed this, too. I have never even had the chance to get anything from the new wave NE breweries (Alchemist, Trillium, Tree House, Maine Beer Co, etc.), but it does seem that when one of these breweries puts out >2 highly acclaimed IPAs, many will say they are among the top brewers in the nation, even if they put out only 1 notable non-IPA beer. I can't pretend to know if these world-class-rated IPAs are worth the hype or not, but it does seem like jumping the gun to put a crown on a brewery with extremely limited distribution with an apparently limited repertoire.

thepenguin, eldoctorador and TongoRad like this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,698) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't think it's fair to compare them on equal grounds because Nimble Giant is much stronger, uses different hops, and is only released once a year.

16. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

Nimble Giant is not a seasonal. It is a once-a-year release, just like Nugget Nectar, Master of Pumpkins, and Mad Elf. These beers are intended to be fully allocated and to sell out quickly, with no re-orders available. Seasonals are intended to be in supply for the entire duration of a season. If you see Nimble Giant sitting on shelves for more than a few weeks, then the distributor or the retailer was probably allocated too much product. The current Troegs seasonal is Sunshine Pils, to be followed by Hop Knife at the beginning of August.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  17. teromous

teromous Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

To answer your first question reference here:
    To answer your other questions it is pretty common to see duplicate styles in the craft beer industry. For example Southern Tier releases Unearthly, 2XIPA, and Gemini. Alewerks has Secret Admirer and Bitter Valentine. I have had both Perpetual and Nimble Giant and I thought Nimble Giant was a lot better.

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  18. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They are both really good. I think Nimble Giant has more of a dank, onion taste and Perpetual is more of a true hoppy, bitter taste.

SummitSeries72 and VABA like this.
  19. SummitSeries72

Thanks for the info. Having now conducted my own taste test, I must declare Nimble Giant the winner. But they are both great beers.

20. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

I like both beers, but Nimble Giant easily, and by a decent margin, takes the crown here. I haven't enjoyed a Troegs beer this much since Nugget Nectar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.