Worst bottle break?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeantownBrews, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heshan4G63

Heshan4G63 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2015 California

Not mine persay, but managing a bottle shop I see breakages frequently. The worst I've witnessed was while we were receiving a shipment from a distributor, the driver took a bad angle off the truck with his motorized pallet jack and dumped between 40-50 cases into our parking lot. Fortunately, it was mostly AB-Inbev products that actually belonged to the next stop on the driver's route. (We got our beer safely off the truck after that mishap.)

Worst I've actually been responsible for was a case of Old Rasputin bombers that got wet and eroded the cardboard on the bottom. When I went to pick up the case by the cutout handles, the bottom gave way in trapdoor fashion and all the bottles went crashing to the floor. (Remarkably, all 12 bottles managed to find my right foot before bouncing onto the floor and shattering.) Ironically, I had warned one of my clerks earlier in the day to always pick cases up by the bottom.

BeantownBrews likes this.
  2. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2008 Australia

I accidentally shook about 6 bottles of various Rochefort off the back of a fridge shelf at a local bottle shop trying the get a six pack out form underneath it,
    they smashed and made a huge mess, the incite fridge is really deep and owned by a big corporation now,
    and consequently you can still see the bottles smashed here nearly 10 years later,
    pile in with what look like hundred of other smashes

3. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Maven (1,331) Dec 6, 2009 Georgia

I was carrying a 12 pack of Guinness mixed holiday pack a few years back by only one side handle, not both. I think I had expected the case to hold out, as I regularly grab 12 packs by one handle and pull them out. But the handle tore to the box lid, I lost my grip, and at least half of the case. The store owner saw the fiasco and was really nice, replaced the pack for me. Never grab just one handle of a 12 pack, learn from my experience!

4. Rockjocknroll

Rockjocknroll Pundit (941) Jun 15, 2014 California

Bottle of BORIS I had sent to myself...surprisingly drinkable even after days of oxidation with about 2/3 of the beer left in the bottle! Sign of a great stout.

5. PourMore

PourMore Crusader (428) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

Old Rasputin Barrel Aged XVII .... Smelled delicious on the floor, though.

FBGordon likes this.
  6. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I believe that, Old Ras even leaves a nice scent in the glass next morning.

FBGordon likes this.
  7. BeantownBrews

BeantownBrews Zealot (632) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts

I feel a lot better about my latest experience and have a new found appreciation for cans :grinning:

8. FBGordon

FBGordon Pundit (867) May 15, 2012 Oregon

My girlfriend was cleaning her kitchen and put two BA Bomb!s and two KBS on top of the fridge. They were on the counter because we were going to drink them with some friends that night. She pulled her fridge out to wipe down the side of it and heard four liquid-glass explosions. When I got there she was being quiet and contrite. When she told me, I had the good sense to ask if she was okay and did she get cut at all.

Then I pouted inwardly for the rest of the evening.

Zoomslowik likes this.
  9. FBGordon

FBGordon Pundit (867) May 15, 2012 Oregon

Ouch. This one hurt my feelings.

djtothemoney likes this.
  10. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

Stone Enjoy By, so not really anything lol.

But I would honestly consider the 12-pack of Bud Light Platinum i droppped in my college dorm hallway more of a loss, especially since they "weren't mine" and I had to abort mission before an RA found me with them. total loss, all 12 bottles. I don't even know how many actually broke, but couldn't risk it.

11. krisbobbrown

krisbobbrown Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2013 California

I once opened the fridge and had a bottle of Bourbon County Coffee fall onto the ground without breaking, but then approximately one infinitely long second later a bottle of what else but Prairie Bomb! fell out and crushed the BCBCS.

12. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

I broke my last bottle of parabajava about a month ago, still pretty sad about that.

13. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

1 - Moving out of the apartment and a 4-Pack of Dogfish Head Olde School & Goose Island BCBS went careening off the hand truck onto the asphalt. Thankfully, only one of each were destroyed...Angel's share, I guess?

2 - Walking triumphantly after scoring some fresh Southern Tier Gemini, Unearthly and Iniquity when the bottom of the six-pack carrier gave way to the concrete...beer, glass, disgust.

3 - Merchandising the latest order of 22oz bottles for a Hannaford Market where I ended up knocking over a fresh bottle of Lagunitas Hop Stoopid...boy that smelled good!

14. NCCIndy

NCCIndy Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2015 Indiana

Late one evening, I see a social media post of a case of Anchorage A Deal With the Devil b2 being stocked next to a register about an hour away from my home. I immediately raced 45 miles to beat all the other vultures in my beer group who may have seen the same post. When I got there, only 9 bottles were left and the guy said no limit, so I took them all. Then I also found Westbrook Perfect Nose and bought 6 of those, and then they brought out some tidbits from the back for me: BA Bigfoot, BA Narwhal, 2x BA Yeti, and 3x Bruery Tart of Darkness. As I paid for my purchase, giddy with excitement over stumbling upon such a stash of great beers, two nice employees grab my cases and head to the front of the store (carryout service? sweet!). A few seconds later I hear tennis shoes squeak as someone trips, there is a very loud crash & my heart drops like a rock. Luckily, it was just some Justin Blabaer getting smashed to pieces, and not one of my $400 cases hitting the ground.

Worst personal breakage... a box containing 6 bombers of a strong Blackberry mead slid out of the truck seat when I opened the rear door, bounced off of the step bar, and hit the concrete without breaking. Then two lids popped off & the others all started spraying. I grabbed 2 pitchers and poured out all 6 bombers to save them, rinsed the driveway off with a few buckets of water (summertime... bees), and then I called a friend to come help me drink about a gallon of mead. The next morning was a little rough.

#54 NCCIndy, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  15. podge_34

podge_34 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2015 Tennessee

Friends and I were on a brewery trip through Chicago and into Michigan. We found 3 sixpacks of Zombie Dust at a Whole Foods, one for each of us. We packed them all in the rental van with our other purchases over the last few days. The next morning, as we are walking out of the hotel to put our luggage back in, we hit the automatic rear gate to open it and we hear the dreading smash, smash, smash. I still don't know how, but my sixer had become dislodged and the whole thing tumbled out the back. Only 1 lone bottle remained undamaged still in the holder. One did not smash and was just spewing, so we went ahead and popped that one and I drank it warm. That is still the only time I have ever found Zombie Dust. Tragic.

dcotom likes this.
  16. not2quick

not2quick Pooh-Bah (2,836) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sorry but that is amazing!

seakayak likes this.
  17. Absolut

Absolut Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2011 California

Just dropped a bottle of the Bruery- Grade.

Sheeeet

djtothemoney likes this.
  18. Shanex

Shanex Grand Pooh-Bah (4,466) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Regional Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Short story : I was grabbing the Duvel Green (Verte) -- it's the other version of the original Duvel -- from the fridge, put it on the bedside table whereas I was already pretty tipsy by 1am, and broke it when I wanted to turn off my radio (The Duvel fell on the floor)

I dislike being foolishly drunk since that day. This happened earlier this year. Not my first bottle break per se, but I never tried Duvel Verte as a result.

VABA likes this.
  19. deldrice

deldrice Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2015 Kentucky

I remember sometime last year of a guy trying to come up with an SR-71 because he dropped the one his buddy was showing him. The picture brought a tear to my eye.

20. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've had that happen several times, but haven't cut myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.