Hawaii- Big island & Maui June 2016

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BrianKeith714, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Zip tie and electrical tape.

2. ryno09

ryno09 Pundit (811) May 1, 2010 California

Two trips to Big Island on my trip so far and White Mountain porter is still tasting great. Their hoppy beers are a bit better than I remember.

3. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

i believe they are going to have a restaurant eventually at Kihei

i'll be out there again end of July. can't wait

@ShoyuStout whatchuwant?

4. Aaronkv

Aaronkv Zealot (625) Jul 9, 2013 California
    Trader

Did Kohola Brewing take over Maui's old spot? Could've swore that's the same location I went to many times on my last vacation, hotel shuttle would drop off at Hilo Hattie and I'd walk across the street. Bummer if that's the case.

I'll be going again in September, can't wait.

5. ShoyuStout

ShoyuStout Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

Dat left coast, hazy af, danky-dank chicken broth action...and/or burrito.

Black_Rider likes this.
  6. OCJeff

OCJeff Crusader (446) Mar 14, 2015 California

Looks like it. I actually never went there, and have only been to the Brew Pub. On their website they only list the Brew Pub and the Kihei location. So they must have shut down their old operations in Lahaina. I was going to check it out this visit. Ohh well, off to Kehei I go!

Leaving 6/11 Saturday! Can't wait.

7. Aaronkv

Aaronkv Zealot (625) Jul 9, 2013 California
    Trader

The Brew Pup is only 5 minutes from where I stay, just no free shuttle haha. Have a great trip.

8. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Okay, it looks like last minute planning here. The wife and I are planning a 4 night trip back to the Big Island. It's been 10+ years since our last visit to the BI. But this time we are going to fly in to Hilo and just hang there the whole time with the exception of renting a car for 1 day and driving to Big Island Brewery and to Kona for a day. But driving back to Hilo for the night. Besides driving to Big Island Brewery is there anything in Hilo? Any recommendations on places to eat in Hilo? There is a Foodland in Hilo. I'll be packing light so I may just bring some cans/bottles over with me.

9. Black_Rider

Pooh-Bah

Nori's for saimin. Pineapples is good for food. If you head to Pahoa go to Kaleo's. Everything there is amazing. Especially the pork ribs

When you go to Waimea for BIBH eat breakfast at Hawaiian Cafe. It's insane. Insanely huge breakfasts. Truly old school Hawaiian place.

dcgunman likes this.
  10. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

@Aaronkv yea, kohola is maui brewing's old spot in the back of that small shopping center

11. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hit up Kona Brewing Co just because it was there. Not a fan of Kona beers. First impressions of Kona from the outside was really nice. The service was terrible with the exception of our server. Not going into any details here as I posted my review in the proper section here in BA.
    Next day we visited Big Island Brewhaus. Now were talking. Much better beers for sure. Again, not going into any details here. I will post my review on BIB in a few. Trying to wake up from my red eye flt. Found bottles of BIB in Hilo and Kona and brought some back home with me. Grab a bottle of Holy Humulus which I think is a bit old, but.....bought it anyways. Did get fresh bottles of BIB at the brewery. I guess most of the local stores on the island don't give a shit about BIB bottles or maybe any craft bottles in general. I seem to find a lot of older bottles sitting on the shelves/coolers. So be aware. Thx @Black_Rider for the recommendations for food. Pineapples was spot on. The wife loved it. Highly recommend Pine for the food. Beer was there too. Hawaiian Style Cafe definitely a "must" stop. Huge portions at the right price. One order of breakfast is all you need for 2 people. We did the Hilo Hawaiian Cafe as we ate at the BIB brewery in Waimea. We did cruise through the town of Pahoa, but did not stop at Kaleo's. Still full from our BIB lunch. But will make an attempt on our next visit. One note....if you like mochi I recommend hitting up Two Ladies Kitchen in Hilo. And get the strawberry mochi. Out of this world. I think they have 30+ flavors of mochi and brownie was a big winner for me as well. Another great place if your into Hawaiian food is Cafe 100 (Hilo). We did not visit Mehana (or is it Hawaiian Nui Brewery?). Maybe in October.

Dan_K and Black_Rider like this.
  12. Black_Rider

Pooh-Bah

i didn't even know there was a Hawaii Style Cafe in Hilo. Glad you had a good trip

dcgunman likes this.
  13. ryno09

ryno09 Pundit (811) May 1, 2010 California

Speaking of food, Tex Drive In on the north side of the Big Island is a worth a stop for their Malasadas alone.

14. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yup. Between Banyan Dr and the airport.

15. GuidedbyBeers

GuidedbyBeers Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 California

Thanks for all the info on here. Just got back from Maui...stayed in Kaanapali/Lahaina area. Went to Kohola Brewing. Solid Beers and girl behind the bar was super nice. Went up to MBC in Kahana for dinner/beer. Highlight there for sure was the Imperial Coconut Porter. The ABC in Whalers Village believe it or not had a good selection of BI Brewhaus beers. Also bar at Hyatt Residence Club along the Kaanapali beach walk had MBC seasonal beer, which now is their Rye IPA Haleakala Sunryes, which is really delicious.

16. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Did you pick up bottle of Overhead IPA from BI? Batch #?

17. GuidedbyBeers

GuidedbyBeers Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 California

I had a bomber of an IPA from them, but failed to take a pic or note the name. It was very good. Also had a honey Belgian beer from them. Interesting and very good as well.

18. dcgunman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bumpity bumpity bump....
    Thought I’d throw this out to any BAers in the Hilo area (if there is any). Anything going on next week during American Craft Beer Week in Hilo or around Hilo? I’m stuck here next to where all the volcanic activities is going on doing nada but just R&R. I brought a ton of SoCal ipa’s with me for this trip. Would be willing to share. Cheers y’all.

JeffTD and Black_Rider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.