Salt in a Gose

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mudbug, Jul 25, 2016.

?

How salty do you want a Gose to be?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2016.
  1. Unnoticeable except for a mineral softness

6.0%
  2. Slightly, like the tears of a Unicorn

22.4%
  3. Balanced with the other flavors

48.3%
  4. Stands out, like the rim of a good Margarita

22.4%
  5. Heavy, Like something your doctor says is bad for you

0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've been on a Gose kick lately and I wonder how other BA's like their salt. I'm in the heavy hitter camp but your mileage may vary. Cheers!

sludgegnome likes this.
  2. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

I've only managed to get my hands on 2 different Gose beers. The saltyness of the first probably could be considered to stand out, whereas the second was better balanced...

Both of these were too much for me. I couldn't finish :S

3. hoptheology

hoptheology Grand Pooh-Bah (5,343) May 12, 2014 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Salt in a Gose on a grave...ooooooh baby

4. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I like tart, I like salty, I don't like Gose's. I've only tried Westbrook, but it taste like seawater.

lester619 likes this.
  5. JonEleven

JonEleven Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2016 California
    Trader

Any perceivable saltiness and I'm out. Can't seem to get into them.
    The SO ordered one by Modern Times that was more fruity than anything else and I didn't hate the sip I took, but that's been the high point of Gose beers for me.

6. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I'm a fan of the style and I prefer a good balance, a little tart, a little salty, some nice malts. Too salty and it's just a mess, the salt is overwhelming, not salty enough why not just call it a sour?

mikeinportc and dcotom like this.
  7. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Well integrated is my answer to all flavor/aroma questions.

8. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I voted "balanced." I want it to be perceptible, but I don't want it to be like drinking out of a salt-rimmed glass. (On second thought, maybe I should try a salt-rimmed glass before I dismiss the idea out of hand.)

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Too much salt taste will mask the tartness, which I like better.

mikeinportc, cavedave and dcotom like this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like a good balance. My favorites would be Sixpoint Jammer. A gose that was too sour for me is Victory Kirsch Gose. Ive had more Berliners that ive enjoyed than Gose because i feel the ones ive had were more balanced.

HeyItsThatGuy and chrismann65 like this.
  11. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ive heard of people salting the top of a Tecate can with a squeeze of lime. I personally don't like that lime in beer situation some do, but id try it at least once.

dcotom likes this.
  12. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just enough to taste and balance out the tartness. I prefer gose to be quite tart, but the ideal amount of salinity prevents it from wearing out the palate.

mikeinportc, RockAZ, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  13. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tecate with a salted can and a squeeze of limon on the beach in Baja.......

dcotom likes this.
  14. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Try Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez. The beginner's gose, and a very refreshing beer overall.

dcotom likes this.
  15. thepenguin

thepenguin Savant (1,191) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Gose is a style that really requires attention to balance, at least to my palate. Neither the salinity nor the tartness should really be overbearing, and most of my favorite goses to date have been ones that have shown restraint with both. One recent example that really impressed me was Off Color's Troublesome: it essentially had the makings of a good Kölsch, with just a bit of citrusy tartness and a dash of salt. It seems like the goses that score the highest on BA though are the ones that are more heavy-handed.

16. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm not a big gose fan. It's not the tartness or saltiness that turns me off, it's just that they're usually too light-bodied and weak. Every once in a while I'll have one that impresses me. I got an Exile Gose Shore as an extra in a trade recently and I really liked it. Westbrook's is the only one I really enjoy because it's so intense and they nailed the Key Lime variant. So I chose "Balanced with the other flavors."

17. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's gotta have a presence, but shouldn't hit you in the face either. Balance for me as well.

SammyJaxxxx and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I voted for unicorn tears because everyone knows there is no flavor better than unicorn tears.

19. RockAZ

RockAZ Pundit (983) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

I like to taste the tartness on the sip, but have the salty linger on in the aftertaste. I don't think this description fits what others have meant by "balanced" but I like Gose this way.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I voted for balanced.

The term of “balanced” in terms of a Gose may have varying meanings to each beer drinker but I will define what balance I personally look for in a Gose:

I am looking for a flavor profile where none of the flavors are out of proportion. The tartness should be moderate (not too sour). The salt should be present but in no way assertive. There should be some biscuity wheat malt presence but not too biscuity. I also appreciate a bit of spice and a little citrus to round out the flavor profile.

For my palate Sixpoint Jammer 2.0 (the 2015 spring/summer release) came very close to being a perfectly balanced Gose for my palate; that release just needed a tad more tartness for me.

This year’s version (2016) was out of balance initially because the hop aspect was ‘bumped up’. I aged four of the cans from my 6-pack for several months to permit the hops to fade and this version of Jammer is more in balance and is now more of a joy to drink (for me).

Another Gose that I appreciate since it is well balanced is Anderson Valley The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose.

@Sixpoint

Cheers!

dcotom, StoutElk_92 and PapaGoose03 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.