How much Bourbon County will you buy this fall?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by surfcaster, Jul 16, 2016.

?

How much Bourbon County will you buy this fall?

1. 1. More than I purchased in 2015

56 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. 2. Similar amount to what I purchased in 2015

217 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. 3. Some but less than I purchased in 2015

110 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. 4. None but I did purchase in 2015

59 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. 5. None, I wasn't a patron to begin with

70 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBS

KBS Savant (1,078) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Last Year was Odd Side Ales for Hipster Brunch. Since that product went bad and they couldn't at least stand behind it like GI did, I will not be going back there. Looks BCBS and maybe some other local releases.

2. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Pooh-Bah (1,866) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Trader

As a shiny new western Chicagoland transplant, I'll pick up a little if I should happen across it on tap or on shelves - so the same as last year, when I was only visiting here. I won't stand in lines for it.

3. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm good for a bottle or two a year, but I won't hunt it down if it doesn't present itself.

4. not2quick

not2quick Pooh-Bah (2,836) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll buy a case and any variants. First BA beer I ever had and I think it is delicious.

5. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sure but I'd like to know which breweries have a better quality/price ratio than BCBS. If you are able to find a better BA stout (variants & 2015 BCBS issues excluded) than BCBS at .59¢ per ounce I'm all ears. And finding '15 BCBS at 9.99 per bottle was not an issue, at least in the Chicagoland area. Binny's had it as their price after all.

cavedave likes this.
  6. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

I'm gonna roll the dice and try to get as much as I can. Loved every last bottle I've had from 2014 and 2015. Expecting them to only improve quality going forward based on the debacle that came with (a lot of) 2015's beers.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Better than" and "as good as" - would be tough since it is subjective and BCBS is tough to beat. I will say that Central Waters BBA Stout is BA rated 93% as good as BCBS, and the Cassian Sunset variant is 96%. The great thing is that I can get them for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of BCBS. Yes BCBS comes in bigger bottles - but CW is still a price winner if you deduct for the size difference and a bit for the lower rating. Definitely two different beers and yes, non-infected BCBS is wondrous.

8. Sparta

Sparta Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Oregon

I generally agree with your posts here on BA, but not this one. This is a beer geek website and people who are on here care more about beer than say their internet connection. You can also walk into good bottle shops in most states now hand find hundreds of different brands of beer to choose from, where as most places only have a few options for internet providers (all of which tend to be major corporations). I just don't like the argument that if you are going to boycott one thing you have to apply it to all aspects of your life. Different strokes for different folks. For the record, I will do what I did last year - buy a bottle if I see one that is reasonably priced that I don't have to wait in line for.

9. JFresh21

JFresh21 Savant (1,012) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I won't argue with you on value. I'm more into variety and trying new stuff. BCBS 15 was the best in years IMO, but for some reason it doesn't excite me anymore.

10. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can't argue with the "better than" and "as good as" comments being subjective. I will say for my tastes, though, that I enjoy CW BBA Stout, but when I've done it side by side with BCBS, I consider it a "poor man's" version of a BBA stout. That's not a shot at the price or what people are willing to pay for it, but just rather that it's more of a little brother. Even if the scores of it are 93% as good as BCBS, I'd say that extra 7% or so is what makes BCBS extra special and worth my time (and extra money). But, I'll gladly drink CW BBA Stout as well when I get the chance!

bbtkd likes this.
  11. BrewUrbanist

BrewUrbanist Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Wisconsin

Live in Chicago, but don't really care to go through the effort of the Black Friday release.

This year I ended up w/ 3 bottles of regular (none infected...yet!) + 1 Regal by hitting bottle shops in my neighborhood. Will probably try to do about the same this year. For variants, will hope to grab Coffee and the Maple-whatever. I'm not that interested in the Scotch barrel aged variant.

12. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Certainly reasonable. What would dissuade me the most in terms of purchasing this year is the damn package format change from last year. 16.9 oz is a terrible format for ~14% beers imo. I still purchased bottles last year give this change and having had some (those which were not infected) the format still sucks in practice. I would be more than happy to pay the same price per oz but get it in 12 oz bottles (BCBS anyway).

jrnyc likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Goose Island can kiss my lilly white butt. After the shit show that was BCBS this year, I am over it. Its antiquated in comparison to most BA stouts, its expensive, and hard to get. Once you add the fact that I have had other breweries step up and cover their mistakes in a more professional and expedient manmer, there is no value for me.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. Zonacat

Zonacat Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2015 California

If distro around here is the same as last year then 2 cases probably of reg and a couple variants each if I find them, but not any that cost more than 20 bucks or so (no rare)

All the grocery stores around here got cases last year and with case discounts they were easily picked up at 9 bucks a bottle with no line. This is easily the best value in barrel aged stouts. So far none infected of the first 8 or so I've had, so lucky.

My Coffee and bw were infected but I feel GI compensated me fairly for that so I have no ill will towards them

Will not wait in a line longer than 10 mins for variants but will watch for local reports of them and be ready to go grab if they are available. Had a lot of shops put them out in waves last year to avoid black Friday lines.

15. brewskifan55

brewskifan55 Initiate (0) May 17, 2011 Mississippi

I was able to get one allotment of BCBS at a beer store in Hammond, Louisiana (2 hours from home) on Black Friday. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy several pours over the year at bottle shares. Still my all-time favorite.

16. Loops

Loops Devotee (333) Feb 13, 2014 Missouri

But you read the threads and comment. LOL

17. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sure, why not? The dude asked a question, I gave my answer. Isn't one of the reasons for threads to exist, is so that we can all talk to each other?

cavedave, surfcaster and whiskey like this.
  18. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This kinda sums up my situation. Now, I'm occasionally pulling random variants from my cellar dating back a few years and enjoying those. But, it saddens me that eventually I'll be out because I will not waste more money on BCBS until maybe they have a solid year without QC issues. If that happens, I might trade for a bottle. But as of now, I'm done with BCBS and GI.

dwoolley1 likes this.
  19. james02

james02 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2015 New York

I really enjoyed the last batch, it's still readily available... But I'd go a tad bit out of My way to get coffee, as my area didn't any...

Loops likes this.
  20. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Still readily available there but wonder if they pulled all of the dates they identified as infected, or are they letting the consumer sort it out? And then what about the other batches which consumers have found infected even though GI has not yet fessed up to those batches/dates being bad. Luckily we have no such problem here - ran out in December.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.