Seminal Beer Books

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nick0417, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Hi, folks. Looking to bolster my beer library and am seeking suggestions of 'the' books on beer styles, history, brewing, business, etc one should read and have on hand. I should say, I already have read and own a few standards, including: Tasting Beer, The Brewmaster's Table, The Beer Bible, The Audacity of Hops, and a few other of Randy Mosher's books on brewing.

Other suggestions? I'm thirsty and needing something new to read...

Cheers!

2. NizzleEGizzle

NizzleEGizzle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2015 New York

Anecdotally, I read The Brewer's Tale by William Bostwick, which is a solid, if informal, look at history through the lens of beer.

I am currently reading:

The United States of Beer: A Freewheeling History of the All-American Drink by Dane Huckelbridge. It is very informative, and worth a read if you like American history.

CaptainHate and nick0417 like this.
  3. nick0417

Thanks, man. Much appreciate the info.

4. nick0417

Also: I'm a style/history of styles geek, so anything in that arena would be great. Cheers!

5. Samlover55

Samlover55 Pooh-Bah (1,661) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

nick0417 likes this.
  6. Samlover55

Samlover55 Pooh-Bah (1,661) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Michael Jackson has some books in that direction and most of his books are available either on Amazon or Ebay
    (btw I love reading about beer:wink:)

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If beer styles is your primary interest then @Samlover55 has the proper suggestion: the books of Michael Jackson.

Also visit Youtube and watch the Michael Jackson Beer Hunter episodes. Below is one episode.

Cheers!

8. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

The Brewers Association beer style series books are good. Some moreso than others.

ceeg and nick0417 like this.
  9. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus

Wild Brews: Beer Beyond the Influence of Brewer's Yeast by Jeff Sparrow

American Sour Beers
    by Michael Tonsmeire

JSullivan, sjccmd, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  10. nick0417

Yeah, was curious about these. Looks like several books where each focuses on a specific style. Ones that rise above the rest?

11. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nobody knows more about beer styles and history than our own Ron Pattinson ( patto1ro ) , his information derives from tens of thousands of brewing records from the last 200 odd years.

His blog " shut up about Barclay Perkins" also lists his books.

paulys55, JSullivan, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  12. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

The one that started this journey for me, was the Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian

paulys55 and nick0417 like this.
  13. kkdowning

kkdowning Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Pennsylvania

Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World by Judith M. Bennett to me is the definition of a seminal beer book. I actually had to read it for a class on Medieval Queenship in grad school and loved it.

nick0417 likes this.
  14. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For me it's still Michael Jackson. That guy opened my eyes.

15. sjccmd

sjccmd Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2008 Minnesota

Definitely these! Anything and everything by Stan Hieronymus and Randy Mosher. Michael Tonsmieire hopefully keeps writing. He's one of the few beer writers that understands citing sources.

JSullivan and nick0417 like this.
  16. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

Some are real stinkers. The Stout one especially. The Mild one is pretty poor, too.

17. nick0417

Thanks for the info - any good ones in the bunch?

18. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

Altbier and Helles are both really bad, having been written by Horst Dornbusch. The Scotch Ale book has propagated more misinformation than any book since the beginning of time.

Mitch Steele's IPA book is easily the best in the series. (I should point out that I helped a little with that book.)

If you want an overview of the history of British styles, my Vintage Beer book is probably the best.

paulys55 and JSullivan like this.
  19. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

There have been some pretty shitty beer books and articles written. All too often poorly (if at all) researched and repeating assumptions and beer folklore rather than facts. Some highly respected writers have fallen into this category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.