Headed to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by bylerteck, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm headed to Cleveland for a few days in October. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations on spots for pints. I've obviously done initial research, but just curious if some stuff is worth skipping or a definite must-visit?

Staying at an AirBNB in Ohio City so close to Market Garden and Great Lakes, etc.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

2. jampics2

jampics2 Pooh-Bah (2,340) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You answered your own question! :wink:

Town Hall is the only worthwhile thing in that neighborhood IMO. Great Lakes is BORING. Market Garden and Nano have average (at best) beer.

If you have to stick around downtown, take an uber to the Tremont Tap House or to Platform.

But the must hit of Cle is Fat Head's - they are ~15 minute drive from downtown though.

3. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I like Great Lakes and think the space(street level bar, beer garden, basement pub) are awesome. Also, Market Garden's beers have improved, especially the stuff they bottle. They just opened a tasting room at their production facility on w. 24th, haven't been there yet but will go soon. Platform is hit or miss, but it's a neat spot to grab a few beers. Townhall and Tremont Tap house have good food and beer.

I had a few good beers at Butcher and Brewer Downtown last time I was there; that might be worth a shot.

In the burbs, Buckeye Brewing in Lakewood has had a really good tap list of late, and their house beers are generally good. Deagan's, also in Lakewood has good food and a really good selection of taps. Fat Hread's in North Olmstead and Middleburg Heights has good beer; I'm not a fan of the food. Then you have Brew Kettle, Willoughby, Sibling Revelry, etc., you won't be able to get to all, I'm sure.

4. cg123

cg123 Crusader (479) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

He/she is staying in Ohio City and you tell them to skip Great Lakes and Market Garden? That is just asinine.

5. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks!

I'm heading to Pittsburgh as well and was planning on heading to Fat Head's there instead as it's much closer to where we'll be staying.

6. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Fat Head's in Pittsburgh isn't really the same deal. You will get some of the beers but no brewing going on there.

7. jampics2

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry, what did you recommend??

I'm sure the OP will stop into those places if they're a block or two away, but, quite frankly, the places I listed (Town Hall, Tremont Tap House, Platform) are all better IMO. If I moved out of town and came back for a day, I wouldn't bother with Great Lakes or Market Garden. Great Lakes is the most boring brewery in Ohio and has huge QC issues while Market Garden, while producing better than a few years ago, was just in a list of the most health code violations in the city.

8. cg123

cg123 Crusader (479) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

I basically recommended to ignore you.

9. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Pundit (803) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

This made me laugh. :grinning:
    Great Lakes and Market Garden have good food but I'm with you in regards to skipping them and going to the other places you mentioned because they have better food (minus Platform) and better beer.

10. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

Awesome. Thanks for all the feedback folks!

11. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Hi, heading there myself next week. Is anyone going to this and are there any more details? The website is pretty weak in terms of what breweries are there and what they may offer.

http://www.clevelandbeerfest.com/

I also reached out to them directly just now via the "contact" link.

12. jampics2

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They say they're a "beginner" fest not a "beer geek" fest but if you're from out of state, you could try a bunch of flagships from locals in one place. Probably worth it.

craigo19 likes this.
  13. tepie

tepie Crusader (466) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Isn't anyone going to suggest Jackie O's and say isn't THAT far away? :grinning:

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  14. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (1,222) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Hahaha never fails.

tepie likes this.
  15. Bogforce

Bogforce Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

This looks like it is run by the same people who do the Columbus fests. Expect a ton of beers 300+, 8oz-5oz pours, a map that is sort of accurate and beer list that is not accurate. Usually a big drunk fest towards the end.

16. gobuccos

gobuccos Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Ohio

When are you coming in October? Cleveland Beer Week begins on October 14th, and runs through October 23rd. There will be several events that week.

http://www.clevelandbeerweek.org/

Check the link in a few weeks. Events will start to be loaded.

Southwest side of town, Fatheads Tap House and Brew Kettle. Both offer great selection of beers..

17. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

We arrive on the 4th and leave for Pittsburgh on the 7th.

Both of those spots seem fairly far from the city centre. Are things extremely spread out in Cleveland?

18. tepie

tepie Crusader (466) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Almost shot down fat heads last week cause their list wasn't stacked, but I knew I was heading there today so I wanted to wait and post after a visit. The conclusion is to just go to fat heads no matter what. I had 3 beers, two which aren't new, one was, and all three were awesome. Plus the kitchen kills it every time. Just go.

NABS likes this.
  19. gobuccos

gobuccos Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Ohio

Uber has the area covered very well. There typically is never a lack of drivers. They are both worth the time.

20. craigo19

craigo19 Zealot (673) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

We usually hit The Brew Kettle for their awesome wings, beer and wine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.