Traveling to Colorado next week, any tips? (possible in-person trade)

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Maction, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maction

Maction Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

Traveling to Colorado next week, any tips? (possible in-person trade)

Here’s a brief overview of the trip that me and Mrs. Maction have planned. Ideally we’d like to visit pubs/restaurants/breweries with great beer and food. Please let us know if there are any can’t-miss places we might've overlooked.

We tend to like pubs or restaurants over sports bars or loud clubs. We don’t mind spending a little extra on food and drink to have a unique experience. Both of us really dig wilds/sours, but also drink lots of fresh IPA, session beers on cask, and really anything done well. Also, this is not beer-cation. At best, we’ll be able to visit one or two pubs/breweries per day, as we’ll be doing lots of outdoorsy and touristy stuff as well. I’m hopefully going to skip bottle shops (see below)

-Sept 22 & 23 Denver & Boulder
    We’ll be staying at a hotel downtown in Denver. Should we visit Falling Rock Tap House, Great Divide, perhaps Pints Pub Brewery in Denver? Avery in Boulder? What else?

-Sept. 24 Fort Collins
    What about a meal at Mayor of Old Town, after visiting Odell or Funkwerks? Is it worth checking out New Belgium on the way out of town?

-Sept. 25 & 26 Estes & RMNP
    Poppy’s Pizza - gets good reviews for the taps, not so much for the food. Any other suggestions?

-Sept. 27 Colorado Springs
    Not sure. Trinity? Phantom Canyon? Anything else?

Please follow the link below if you’re interested in doing an in-person trade in downtown Denver or Fort Collins on the dates listed above. I’m planning to bring a six-pack of Zombie Dust, and can bring up to six bombers from 3 Floyds, Pipeworks, Half Acre, etc. I’m looking to trade for some fresh Pliny the Elder, and sours, wilds, and barrel aged stuff not available in Chicago.

LINK

Cheers!

2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Pundit (904) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Pliny usually shows up near the end of the month, so you could luck out. I wouldn't trade for it unless it just showed up before you arrived. It doesn't travel well in the summer, imo, and it will be close to a month old if you get the august batch. Myrcenary would be a better way to go.

I think most people would tell you to go to Dry Dock in Aurora when you're in Denver. I've never been there myself, but the beers I've had have been good.

3. doobliebop

doobliebop Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

You could stop at one of our bigger stores in town (total beverage westminster) and pick up most of your wants list right on the shelf. WWBI, WWBB, Meddler, some funkwerks. Lukas or liquor mart in bolder would likely have your RR sours. Pliny was delivered ~2 weeks ago fresh around here and it sells out in a day or so.

My plan would be this.
    Denver: hit Falling Rock. Then go to River North. Then to Euclid for dinner. Next day go to Crooked Stave's Barrel Room. Liquor store: Argonaut.

Hit Total Beverage Westminster on the way to Boulder.

Boulder: Avery avery and more avery.
    Liquor store: Liquor Mart, Harvest and Boulder Wines and Spirits.

Hit Liquor Max and World Beverage

Estes: hmm, I always remember the brewery inside the Stanley Hotel having a very good barleywine. Wasn't impressed by their other brews.

Springs: Trinity.

I'd love to do the IP trade with you to finally try zombie dust, but frankly you'd find just about your whole wants list on the shelves out here with the exception of Pliny (which I don't have any of)

4. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'd suggest a meal at Choice City Butchery and Deli instead of The Mayor. Great food and great beer, just not as large an overall selection as the Mayor. Plus, the Mayor is close by you can always stop there afterwards if you want to continue your drinking. There's also Tap N Handle right across the street from Choice City, another beer bar with a big and quality beer selection (though again not as large a selection as Mayor).

And I'd visit both Odell and Funkwerks....both on the same street, about a mile or so apart from one another. And, yeah, New Belgium is worth a visit on your way out of town, which I assume is Tuesday morning? NB is closed on Mondays.

buffs9, alexipa and chicano4craft like this.
  5. Cheeto314

Cheeto314 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Colorado

You can hit Oskar Blues in Lyons on the way to Estes. I have some fresh Pliny if you want to trade some Zombie Dust (friends with Doobliebop, live 20 min from him, would trade on his behalf, he can vouch for me as I'm new on BA).

6. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd say the for Colorado Springs, hit up Bristol and Rocky Mountain Brewery. You should hit Pikes Peak in Monument on the way down or way back from the Springs, too. I've heard that KBKB is pretty good down there (haven't been). Great Storm isn't bad but I was a little disappointed in most of their stuff (Rum raisin stout was good, though).

While in Denver, I'd say that Prost is a must, and Renegade and Strange are both quite good. In Estes, may as well hit the "T-shirt shop that sells beer"--Estes Park Brewery-- for some free samples since you'll be there in town. It's NOT in the Stanley Hotel, however, it's near the go cart track and the old Pizza Hut. Their Samson Stout and Renegade Red aren't too bad. If Trail Ridge is still open, it wouldn't be too long of a drive across Rocky Mountain National Park into Grand Lake to check them out. I like them quite a bit, though haven't been to their "new" facility since they opened it versus the old location downtown GL.

7. spoony

spoony Pooh-Bah (2,517) Aug 1, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Re: Downtown Denver, Falling Rock is what it is...an institution with lots of beers and mediocre food. As for some other suggestions, Lucky Pie (16th and Wazee) has decent pizza and a decent beer list, plus good people watching in the heart of Lodo. Euclid Hall is good, as well (on the beer and the food). I have never taken the Great Divide tour, but I hear its good. You might also check out Denver Beer Company for a, uh, beer (not much in the way of food). It's walkable from Union Station, has a good patio, and solid brews. Freshcraft (also in Lodo, near Lucky Pie) is another beer-centric restaurant with solid food. Amato's Ale House is also an option (within walking distance of downtown). Pint's Pub is great if you like whiskey (scotch to be precise), and while the beers are decent, they are not world-beaters (good burgers, though).

Re: Boulder, if you want a nice bar meal with a good beer, try the Kitchen Upstairs on Pearl Street...not to be confused with the Kitchen, which is the fancier restaurant below. I say "bar meal," but Upstairs is a pretty classy joint with a good beer list. If you're feeling like getting your hippy on (before/after dining with the yuppies/hipsters at Kitchen Upstairs), you might also try the Mountain Sun for a good, casual lunch/dinner and some decent brew (or the Southern Sun, which is slightly outside of downtown Boulder, or Vine Street Pub, which is in Denver, but all are the same thing). As for breweries, yes to Avery, but Oskar Blues in Lyons (about a 20-minute drive from Boulder) is another thought.

Re: Ft. Collins, it has been a while, but New Belgium is worth a visit if only because it is such a cool company/operation. Odells is good, too.

Re: Estes Park, I've got nothing. Enjoy the views!

Re: Colorado Springs, Bristol Brewing might be worth a visit, although I have never been there myself.

Re: Stores in the Denver/Boulder area, Argonaut is close to downtown, and carries a pretty solid selection. Lukas and Davidson's are on the south end of metro Denver and might be worth a stop on your way to Colo. Springs. My favorite shop is Mile High Wine and Spirits, which is located about 15 minutes southwest of downtown. Mondo Vino is also pretty good (smaller) shop with great customer service that is closer the city in a nice little stretch of retail shops. Closer to Boulder, I suggest Total Beverage (in Westminster), Superior Liquors (in Superior), and Liquor Mart in Boulder.

8. alexipa

alexipa Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado

As mentioned, go to Choice City in Fort Collins. It's amazing.

My other suggestion is to completely skip RMNP and Estes Park. Sure you'll see mountains and nice scenery, but it's basically the Disney World of Colorado. You're not getting a real experience out there. You'll have to go through Lyons to get to Estes... STOP! Visit Oskar Blues, walk around, Lyons is an excellent town.

9. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,224) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Strange Brewing? River North? Funkwerks? No. Let's be honest here.

OP, go to Freshcraft or Falling Rock, Mountain Sun, Odell, Wilbur's for bottles, and spend the rest of your time enjoying the state. :sunglasses:

Cheeto314 likes this.
  10. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,224) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

#mtnhipster

:sunglasses:

11. Maction

Maction Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

Thanks for all the great information! I really appreciate it. I'll do some more research, and post if I have more questions.

I think I have the in-person trade taken care of, but thanks for all of the great offers. I realize that most of the beers that I'm looking for aren't rare for Colorado, but the ones I'm trading aren't that hard to find in Chicago.

Thanks, also, for the beer store recommendations. But my idea was to complete an in-person trade instead. That way, I'll already have all of the packaging for the flight back, and I won't have to drag the wife to a bunch of bottle shops

12. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What he said :slight_smile:

Denver: Freshcraft (restaurant) and/or Fallingrock Tap House (beer bar/restaurant), Great Divide, enjoy walking around town, if you must go up to Boulder, Avery is top notch.

Fort Collins: Odell, New Belgium and call it good.

Estes: Just enjoy the Rocky Mountain Natl Park, not much in terms of breweries

CO Springs: Trinity

It's a vacation after all, not a beercation.

13. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Pipeworks kicks ass!!

Pipeworks likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you're going to colo spgs hit trinity up for sure. I enjoyed their brews way more than bristol and the atmosphere is nice, food is great as well. Also hit me up with a beermail, I had a trade for zdust got extremely wrong and still want some in a bad way.

15. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

For the C Springs area, I recommend Pikes Peak. Right off I25 in Monument. Barrel Aged stout on tap is one of the best beers in Colorado.
    Phantom Canyon downtown has been making a bunch of creative stuff lately (mostly British style) and they have good food and pool.
    Rocky Mountain on the East Side of the Springs also does a bunch of creative stuff and has a more blue-collar feel to the place.
    Trinity also does a bunch of crazy stuff with saisons and has a good tap list. Its the beer snob place in town so can be a bit pricey.
    Bristol's regular stuff is so so. Their newer beers (Scotch Ale, Dubbel, Tripel) have been pretty good though.
    Great Storm and KB are smaller scale breweries that are okay.

Since Sept. 27 is a Thursday, Blue Star restaurant right next door to Bristol has half off imperial beers. Meaning you can try Uncle Jacob's Stout, and Avery's Oud Floris at retail. A ridiculous deal (Especially since Uncle Jacob's is impossible to find now).

16. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

I third or fourth the reco for Choice City. Such a great place. The Mayor is also nice, but go to Choice City to eat. Odells is a must hit.

As ArrogantB said, Estes is a little touristy, but I also like it. Lot's of unique shops up there. It's a nice place to kill a couple hours. Estest Park Taffy Co. is like crack to me. I always get a large box of vanilla and pecan. Smokin Daves BBQ is good (for CO BBQ) and actually has a nice beer list. Nothing mind blowing, but you'll find a few FW taps, and plenty of great CO locals.

I'd head into RMNP if you have the time. Keep in mind Bear Lake, a popular hike up there, is currently a charlie foxtrot. Theyre redoing the road in and out so it's shuttle only. I suggest a hike away from the Moraine area, or do Bear Lake prior to 9am. You can't go wrong with driving Trail Ridge Road if you have the time.

17. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Pundit (868) Jan 4, 2009 Kansas

Not sure why it hasn't been tossed out earlier, but I'd recommend hitting up the Cheeky Monk for great food and good Belgian beers. The original location is just down the street from Argonaut in Denver, and they have a new location up north on I-25 that might be a good lunch stop on your way to Fort Collins. If you go, get the mussels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.