Kölsch: Ale or Lager?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Zealot (516) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

It appears that Kolschs, as a style, are classified as ales. But many people say they are very close to lagers. What's the deal here? (Know that I have yet to try a Kolsch myself, but plan to do so in the near future.) Are they ales or are they lagers? What characteristics do they share with either category? Grateful for any clarification.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  2. ecpho

ecpho Savant (1,159) Mar 28, 2011 New York

lester619, Mongrel, PatrickCT and 9 others like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They are 'top fermented lager beers', in that they utilize an ale yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) but then cold conditioned like a lager to allow the yeast to slowly clean the beer up as a lager yeast would.

The main difference between ale yeast and lager yeast is that lager yeast consumes certain sugars that ale yeast doesn't (resulting in a drier beer, iow), ferments cooler and generally isn't used to produce fruity esters or spicy phenols; it's also more suitable for cold conditioning. Lager yeast will give a clean beer that lets the malt and hops shine on their own.

In the case of Kolsch, it's made to mimic a Pilsner, but the yeast still throws some very subtle white grape and pear like fruit qualities into the mix.

lester619, --Dom--, Jnashed and 51 others like this.
  4. SummitSeries72

Good answer, Tongo. So you like Kolschs, I imagine?

Gemini6 likes this.
  5. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's my main problem- I like everything! :slight_smile:

But, yeah, a Kolsch can be a great beer if you catch one that's not too old. On draught is usually the best way to drink the imported ones (Riessdorf, Gaffel), but there are some quality ones made here in the US.

The best one I've had was Krankshaft Kolsch by Metropolitan in Chicago, but locally the Straub was nearly as impressive. Captain Lawrence will also do in a pinch.

6. SummitSeries72

My local beer store carries Reissdorf, Gaffel, and Captain Lawrence (in bottles, of course). For my first taste of the style, which of those three do you recommend?

7. ecpho

I do not think the Captain Lawrence is very good at all.
    Either of the Germans are very good. There are more around on draft - unfiltered ones are great like one from Sunner.

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  8. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd go with the Reissdorf out of those three, then the Gaffel.

9. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'd go with Reissdorf too.

LuskusDelph and SummitSeries72 like this.
  10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes... Kolsch...

11. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just to complicate things, of those three I'd go with Gaffel... unless the bottles look old.

I think all three choices are fine. The Captain Lawrence beer is a good option if it appears to be considerably newer than the imports, otherwise go for the German ones. I used to prefer Reissdorf over Gaffel, but I now prefer Gaffel. Reissdorf is also much more expensive than the other two beers.

PatrickCT and anfield86 like this.
  12. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

If it's unfiltered, it isn't a Kölsch. Part of the spec of Kölsch is that it's filtered.

13. ecpho

Ok that's fine but I've had an unfiltered Sunner kolsch on tap so I guess that brewery from Koln mislabeled it.

14. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

In 1985 (25.06.1985 to be precise) the German government and 24 breweries from the Cologne region published the 'Kölsch Convention'. It was inspired by the attempts - fiercely resisted in Cologne - of outside brewers to cash in on the popularity of Kölsch.

According to the convention, a beer may only be called Kölsch if it meets the following criteria:
    • it is brewed in the Cologne metropolitan area
    • pale in colour
    • top-fermented
    • hop-accented
    • filtered
    • 'vollbier' - 11 - 14% plato

15. scottakelly

scottakelly Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Ohio

If you pressed me to call Kolsch an ale or lager I would go with lager. It has to be lagered so hence its a lager

16. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You probably had a Wieß.

Essentially the same beer, but unfiltered.

17. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's a top fermented beer that's lagered. There's no such thing as ale in Germany, apart from the odd IPA here and there.

patto1ro and Lurchus like this.
  18. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Germans view ale as one sort of British beer, the other being Porter/Stout. As in fact I do.

scottakelly likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

But Germans have indeed brewed ales:

[​IMG]

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sunner labels the unfiltered version as Kellerbier:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sünner Kellerbier

By the standards of the Kölsch Könvention, only filtered, bright beer can be called "Kölsch". However, when it's taken directly from the fermenter, unfiltered and with a soft, natural carbonation, it can be spectacular!

We offer the Sünner Kellerbier only occasionally, so jump at it when you see it. You'll find it slightly yeasty, more bitter and even drier than the everyday Kölsch.

Limited Availability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.