Paulaner Wiesn and Märzen in Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by THANAT0PSIS, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

So this is a bit of a weird question, but I am doing a blind tasting of Oktoberfest beers, and all I am really missing is Paulaner Wiesn and Paulaner Märzen. I have only seen these in 12-packs around Chicago, and I don't really want to purchase 24 bottles when I only really need 2.

Does anyone have a lead on a place that sells singles of these (already checked all the usual suspects e.g Bottles and Cans, two different Binny's, Beer Temple)?

Thanks in advance!

2. quinnsi

quinnsi Zealot (623) Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

Let me check on this: I've been wondering the same thing. I've had a bottle this year while on the East Coast, so I know it came into the States.

emerge077 and SeanBond like this.
  3. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hope you don't mind the piggyback but am curious what people think is the best Oktoberfest beer available on Chicago shelves? I've had Rev and Munsterfest in past years but was looking to see if anyone is making a standout this year. Thanks!

4. THANAT0PSIS

Pooh-Bah

So I broke down and bought the 12-packs. It wasn't an awful decision since they were cheapish, and the beers are great.

My blind tasting is still in progress (there are only two of us, so the ~30-bottle field needs to be spread out over multiple rounds), but early front runners (out of 18 randomly selected, 100% blind-tasted samples) have shocked me: Urban Chestnut Oachkatzlschwoaf is the clear front runner followed by New Glsrus Staghorn (not available here, I know), Upland Oktoberfest (shocking since I think they're a terrible brewery), and Bells.

These were determined by pure enjoyment and rated to style being independently weighted factors (I enjoyed Bells more than Upland, but Bells was a bit too hoppy, while Upland was more true to style, so it ranks higher).

The real major shock for me is that none of German examples have made a particularly good showing. We both enjoyed Hofbrau (which is a lighter Festbier and not a Märzen), Ayinger, and Spaten, in that ranking order, but the American ones I mentioned above clearly outshone them.

Also of note, the Great Lakes bottle we had was terrible. It tasted like dirty dish rag. I honestly think the bottle was off, but I can't give it another chance for fairness-sake, and it's not the first time I've had a GLBC beer taste off in that way (they had some documented problems around the time they switched their labels, and I guess maybe there's still an issue).

drtth likes this.
  5. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for the recs! I picked up a mixed six and grabbed the Bell's based on your call so thank you. Also grabbed versions from Metropolitan, Sierra, Schlafly, and Left Hand and will give them a shot this week

6. THANAT0PSIS

Pooh-Bah

You're most welcome. All the rest of those haven't come out in the random draws yet but are waiting in the wings. I expect SN to place very highly since it's awesome, but it's more of the light Festbier style than a caramelly Märzen. Metro last year was way too sweet, but I may enjoy it more blind. Left Hand and Schlafly I've never had, but I'll find out when they get drawn.

7. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Crusader (423) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

Have you tried the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest? Definitely a Märzen. It's available at Costco, but by the case only.

I've had a couple of this year's Great Lakes Oktoberfest and they've been fine. Sounds like you had the bad luck of a bad bottle.

8. THANAT0PSIS

Pooh-Bah

Hacker was placed somewhere in the middle, toward the top, but nowhere near the ones leading the pack.

Against my personal desire (since I'm not giving any other bottles any version of a second chance), I bought another GLBC and drank it not blind. I found that it was an off bottle but still it fared poorly for being far too sweet and heavy for the style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.