How often are you trying something new?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jssf, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,549) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Constantly

Geuzedad likes this.
  2. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3 per day, sometimes 4 if it's the weekend and I have more time to spare. My review writing process is very time consuming and taxing.

3. Im4jojo

Im4jojo Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2016 Massachusetts

I try to drink only on the weekends. When I do, I usually average about six new beers, but that is only because I do half pours or split a can or bottle with my husband. If I really like it, I will do a full pour on a Sunday afternoon or while hanging out with friends. I also try to keep a notebook of everything I try.

4. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Pooh-Bah (2,322) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

About 5-6 new beers per week for me. I told myself I would cut back this year, but I have not done a very good job of doing that.

5. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't drink as much as I used to (mostly go "no beer" on weekdays), but when I do drink (weekends) it's 90% new stuff (if it's not new, I'm probably drinking one of my favorite beers).

6. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Probably 60/40 in terms of tried-and-tested/new

7. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Isn't any beer after the last one a new beer? If I wander around a good beer store long enough new beers always find my house, my fridge, my belly! I am averse to keeping track; I remember the ones that I need to remember.

8. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

Every time I go into the liquor store.

9. Dmecca

Dmecca Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2015 New Jersey

Every trip I buy a fav I'm in the mood for and at least one new beer, or two or three or...you get the point

Premo88 likes this.
  10. WickedBeer

WickedBeer Pooh-Bah (2,926) Sep 23, 2015 Alabama
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have always said, I would much rather get a flight of 6 different beers than a pint of one. I always try and look for something new, specifically keeping an eye out for any new Sam Adams, Stone, or Smuttynose. I'd say I probably try at least 3-5 new beers a week.

11. Premo88

Premo88 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,486) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

About 2.5 new beers per week since January 2013, when I started reviewing.

That number is jumped up quite a bit by a few stretches of 10-20 new beers on vacation weeks. I can go 2-3 weeks at a time without trying anything new.

NickSMpls likes this.
  12. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Pooh-Bah (2,692) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow. I guess we are a bit in the "ticker" camp. We make a effort to try a new brewery's offering at least 2x a month and maybe more if we come across a new Minnesota / Wisconsin one - that's not hard to accomplish.

I heard one time that it was impossible to eat at every new restaurant in New York City since more than three opened every day. Trying to keep up with new beers seems like that sometimes.

Premo88 and mikeinportc like this.
  13. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Usually at least once a week. I live in a backwater, so a lot of standards have just arrived in the last 1-2 years. A lot of old things are new-to-me.
    + You lot are a bad influence : ) : I used to have just 1 or 2 /week, if that, so there's that many more I missed , because they were here-and-gone, before I finished what I had. ( I buy stuff to age now. Didn't used to do that.)

Really, since joining BA, & following WBAYD N?, I get fewer duds, so more confident that the purchase won't be disappointing, so therefore do it more often, because of greater enjoyment. Thanks, BAs. : )

VABA likes this.
  14. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Pooh-Bah (1,692) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I live in a wasteland when it comes to good / fresh beer selections. Lucky for me I have made some friends on this site that are kind enough to share beer so everything I drink is new to me.

VABA likes this.
  15. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

I have generally 14 beers a week. At this point I have had almost every beer available in my two local shops, there are some bombers I've avoided due to cost or special imports. With somewhere around 1200 beers under my belt it can be tough to get new beer without traveling. I still manage to get one new beer almost every week though for NBS. Often they are traded or new/limited releases/limited distro in my area.

16. beerhead777

beerhead777 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 California

About 5 new ones per week

17. Caveworm

Caveworm Maven (1,263) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

I try to grab something new every time I'm out buying beer. Unless A. I'm low on $ or B. I've had such shit day that I could care less about thinking about and reviewing the beer I'm drinking& just knock 'em back.

mikeinportc and lester619 like this.
  18. ItsYourBoyBlue

ItsYourBoyBlue Maven (1,388) Feb 23, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Honestly I love trying new beers so I try to get in as many new beers as possible, some weeks it's 2 or 3 new ones, other weeks its 10+.

Btip1969 likes this.
  19. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I used to be a ticker, but I grew out of it. I wanted to try everything and I gradually realized it's impossible. Now 90% of what I buy is a small rotation of staples. Every once in awhile though I still take a flyer on something that looks interesting.

Squire and DLang713 like this.
  20. lightman1

lightman1 Zealot (595) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I have no tried about half of the beer that I buy. My purchases are about 50/50 old favorites and new beer.

mikeinportc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.