Copenhagen Beer Fest - Boston City Hall Plaza

Discussion in 'New England' started by ommegoodness, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Well, they comped me a ticket for tonight's session, so at least the customer service deserves praise. I was pretty pissed last night, in part because I had just waited in a fairly long HF line, only to get cut off as I reached the table at exactly 9:30. At least go to the end of the line to make the cutoff. Didn't help that almost every other table around them was still pouring. Overall, the beer was great and the music was great, so that is what really counts. They have some room to improve the layout and the VIP experience, so if this fest survives another year it has potential to be one of the best beer fests in the area.

woodfinish and Jroden5446 like this.
  2. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I thought the fest was excellent. Maybe one of the most enjoyable ones I've been to. I saw no extra value with VIP other than quicker bathrooms but did not regret getting it since the green session was cheaper and I was blowing through lots of samples. Bokkereyder line was long but worth trying the Framboos. Music was great. Dark Matter coffee (Espresso aged in distilled beer geek breakfast barrels was insane) and Frederiksal cherry wines were some standouts. Funny that neither of them are beer

3. Rickythejeweler

Rickythejeweler Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Maryland

Great festival, VIP 3 Sessions, highlights:
    Angry Chair Imp German Choc Cupcake
    Mikkeller SpontanQuadrupleRasberry
    Cigar City Good Nightmare Mekong
    Alefarm Funk Orchard
    Angry Chair Fionn
    Cellarmaker Double Moonage Daydream
    7venth Sun Special Guest
    Sam Adams/Mikkeller Bugs & Berries
    Cellarmaker Imperial Coffee & Cigarettes
    3 Floyds Skeletonwitch Red Death Sour

Sweatshirt and Jroden5446 like this.
  4. Phineasco

Phineasco Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts

Tired Hands was a winner for me both Alien Church and Hop Hands. Boneyard was probably my second favorite.

Sweatshirt and Jroden5446 like this.
  5. rudzud

rudzud Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    In Memoriam

Frederiksal fermented sour cherry wine was the shocker of the fest for me. The flavour profile on all 4 wines he poured was unlike anything in the wine (ice) or mead world I'd ever tried.

Also, Superstition was getting no love which was shocking. Their Marion mead was absolutely delicious. I kept running over there while waiting in the massive Bokkereyder line.

6. Jroden5446

Jroden5446 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2015 Florida

So many amazing breweries with little to no wait all weekend. Other than the VIP beers, a really great weekend overall. Killer beers, weather and music.

7. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Nice to see all the positive comments. I would be thrilled if they do this again next year.

Jroden5446 and Sweatshirt like this.
  8. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Savant (1,045) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts

Great festival but bummer that only attending one session meant missing out on some of the beers that were only poured during the other sessions. That being said: Bokkereyder was amazing. Had about 6-7 different ones from them and was blown away

9. abagofit

Where did the Bokkereyder hype come from? I had never heard of them and they had by far the biggest line. The stuff was delicious, was it just word of mouth?

10. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

No hype. You have been in the dark wrt experimental lambic producers... For lack of an appropriate tag.

They don't make hazy IPAs so........

messrock and Jason like this.
  11. abagofit

Care to enlighten me?

12. pgbond

pgbond Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Massachusetts

Last night was a blast. The extension to 10:30 for pours was great. Fantastic beers from all around. Met some great people who provided some awesome suggestions on what to get from whom and was never disappointed. Only stood in the really long Bokkereyder line once and was very impressed but they were running low and eventually ran out completely by 9:15.
    Stand outs for me were :
    Sippin Into Darkness from Lervig
    German Chocolate Cupcake Stout from Angry Chair
    Bianca Raspberry Lassi Gose by Omnipollo
    Jack by Bokkereyder
    Rodgrod Med Flode by To Ol
    and Bourbon Barrel Brett Tripel from Idle Hands.

Jroden5446 likes this.
  13. rudzud

rudzud Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    In Memoriam

You went to all 3 sessions? What else did they pour? I have the apricot one and their framboos.

14. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Thought this was a terrific fest. Great assortment of brewers pouring first-rate, interesting beers. Excellent venue and layout. Tasty food options (the sandwiches from Barracuda Tavern were standouts).

Agree that VIP was not a great value. If they bring it back next year with a similar scheme I'd probably stick with GA. Without any insight into the economics, if I were running things, I'd say ~$75 GA with unlimited samples & ~$110 VIP for an hour early access would make more sense.

CADMixes and Jroden5446 like this.
  15. skierjmm

skierjmm Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Ohio

I loved the fest. I was pissed about the 930 cutoff on Friday though. Everyone I met was super nice and I was getting full pours of things throughout the night. The best thing I had all night was Casita Cerveceria...they had a farmhouse ale with honey and dried chiles that tasted like a BBQ saison...weird and awesome. Anyways...great music and great beers and great people. The lines moved quickly also! I would go again!

CADMixes likes this.
  16. schroeder1200

schroeder1200 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 New Jersey

Easily one of the best festivals I've been to. Had such a great time.

CADMixes likes this.
  17. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 Belgium
    Trader

It was a really fun fest, but the VIP was a waste of money. Yeah, the 30 minutes early entry was nice, but the vip exclusive beers were a joke and a lot of booths weren't even collecting tokens (a couple didn't even have a bucket for them). I was VIP for the afternoon session and GA for the Saturday night. My GA friend got through the entire day session without needed to reload tokens as less than half actually collected them. I didn't use a single token as GA Saturday night, no one asked or cared.

So I to think they'd be better off ditching the tokens and making it one price.

Highlights for me was everything from Boklkereyder (Framboos, William, Abrikoos, Merry Month of May, Pino Kriek, etc)
    Zhukov's Final Push
    Yellow Belly Sunday
    Funk Orchard
    Rhythm Rug
    Double Barrel Noa with the smoothie topping!
    Angry Chair Ultra Violence
    Alpha State Vanilla Mocha Vengeance

18. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

The event organizers certainly used just about all of the special characters for the foreign brewers. Just wanted to throw a shout-out to whoever put the accent on the 'E' in Samuel Adams. Gave them a nice bit of cachet.

pgbond likes this.
  19. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

If you've taken a trip to Belgium and chatted with local lambic nerds, you'd have heard of Bokkereyder or met Raf.
    If you are in any lambic lover Facebook groups, you would have seen his posts or other people commenting on his experimental lambic.
    I would guess other people saw the beer list before the fest and knew they had to try it.
    Get them on your radar. He's making lots of stuff now, and it's all exceptional or world class. I hope his production increases enough that I can get my hands on some bottles.

TurdFurgison likes this.
  20. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Savant (1,045) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts

They had nearly a dozen beers available. Look them up on Facebook, they listed them all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.