Chicagoland NE IPAs (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SeanBond, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irishace9

Irishace9 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2012 Illinois

Anyone see Galaxy Bowl in the SW burbs today?

2. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

According to their website, Binny's Orland looks like your best bet

Irishace9 likes this.
  3. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Pooh-Bah (2,924) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brewery was Off Color - got a couple of the procatstination (sp?) sours which sound great and I will drink at some point when people stop producing I-must-irrationally-have hoppy beers at this pace.

4. Chuckdiesel24

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Popped open a galaxy bowl and I thought it was great. Beer Cellar had a 4-pack limit, which made the "1 or 2" decision easy. Now that I've had it, I'll probably go find that 2nd 4-pack somewhere. It's phenomenal. I probably liked the draft Juicy I had at RAM a bit better, and the SS7 was still the best I think I've had from Chicago. Tree House Julius, AlterEgo, and others are a tad better to me, but it's generally getting very close here.

This one had more of a pineapple taste than other NE styles I've had. This is Hop Bucher's first attempt. Gotta say - if they can do it this well on the first attempt - I can't wait for the next attempt of this style.

For reference, I wasn't going to drink this tonight. Did a thing where I drank Dogfish 60/90/120 b2b because I hadn't had the 120 before. The 120 was not really good - just too much booze - and the only one I thought was enjoyable was the 90. So I drank this and it makes me wonder why I drink some of those older school IPAs at all.

5. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hop Butcher came out swinging, didn't they?!?

I was expecting it to be good. But not THIS good. I don't think anyone will be upset with this one. Of course everyone will have their personnel preferences, but I'll be surprised to see anyone say it's flawed

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Initiate (0) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Is the galaxy pretty pronounced? That's the one hop I've found that I really dislike.

7. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Crusader (436) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Not much love for the NW burbs from Hop Butcher

8. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So hold on, aside from Bottles and Cans, have people seen Galaxy Bowl elsewhere in the city (Binny's, for example)?

Yeah, they said Southern and Western burbs mostly for this one.

9. pkarch09

pkarch09 Devotee (338) Mar 22, 2010 Illinois

Didn't see any at Printers Row or Warehouse last night (albeit their website does not list Warehouse as a place to get their beer). Hoping to pick some up today and hoping it lasts depending on when I can get down there.

10. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The guy at Lakeview Binny's yesterday said he expects it sometime this week, and that's all he knew. He said it could come at any point, early in the morning, late at night, etc. since they deliver themselves. No idea if they got it in last night or not, though. You'd think that some of the stores in the area of Bottles & Cans also would've got it last night (e.g. Beer Temple, Lakeview Binny's, etc.).

SeanBond likes this.
  11. Chuckdiesel24

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I got mine from Beer Cellar in Glen Ellyn later last night (7:30). From what the guy said - they got it in about 30 minutes before that. He said the owner dropped it off personally, so probably just them getting a few out yesterday and a more standard delivery schedule today. I have no idea what their standard deliver schedule is, though. I can only chase one truck at a time :wink:

SeanBond likes this.
  12. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pretty sure the bible literally states that this is why god created woman from the rib of man (to help him chase beer trucks).

I mean, sure, science disproves the whole rib thing, but good luck disproving the latter portion!

galos11 and GuyFawkes like this.
  13. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Pooh-Bah (2,138) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Orland Park Binny's getting Galaxy Bowl?Never even heard of Hop Butcher until now. It's pretty damn fun though keeping up with these IPA's. Juicy and Thursty in the fridge. How am I supposed to keep up with my regular Pipeworks and Spiteful intake??

14. Irishace9

Just to be clear they are getting it or they have it?

15. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hop Butcher used to be South Loop Brewing.
    I think he was asking if OP Binny's is going to get it?

Irishace9 likes this.
  16. Chuckdiesel24

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Jaywalsh20 likes this.
  17. Irishace9

I think everyone misunderstood. Getting as in the future or do they have it currently sitting on a shelf, endcap, or at the service desk?

18. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Pooh-Bah (2,138) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ya I was asking a question if OP Binny's was getting any. Thanks for that distribution link.

19. Irishace9

My bad must have misread.

20. Powder_My_Balls

Powder_My_Balls Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2016 Illinois

Hopefully Binny's on Grand gets a bunch.

SpyderMan14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.