Lagunitas Sucks In 12 packs!

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by raynmoon, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msscott1973

msscott1973 Pooh-Bah (1,605) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Watch for the fine print :grinning:

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

How well does 12th of Never hold up with age? How tasty is a 3 month old 12th of Never?

Cheers!

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Please be seasonal only/1x per year again. That would make me very happy. I'll be a consumer that will buy alot more than what I've bought over the last 2 years (which was only 2 12oz singles...only times I could find it fresh). I'll buy at least a 6er or 12er each year so Lagunitas you're volume sales for people like myself will go up several hundred %. I'm sure I'm not representing the minority of Sucks buyers either with that statement.

BSW likes this.
  4. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

This made my day. Wish it was in cans!!!!

5. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

There it is. They sneak it on the box art in fine print.

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I still have this bottle and six pack. This was the best this beer was and then turned into another beer. I hope it has returned to that Crazy cat piss beer of old and not the thick syrypy mess it has been for a long time now. I cant remember if there was ever a label on the bottle with the brocken cookie.

Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

surfcaster, BSW and bushycook like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Were those fresh bottles that tasted like a "syrupy mess" to you? If so, was that a one batch thing or over multiple batches?

Cheers!

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Recently found Sucks, for the first time in awhile, with less than 3 weeks on it. Most definitely not a syrupy mess on my palate.

Cubatobaco and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yawn. They had a good thing going, then they botched the 32 ounce bottle release in New York with old beer. Also with invisible bottle dates hard to know if these things are fresh. The local beer revolution has left this beer in the dust. Eff Lagunitas, they don't care enough to put legible dates on bottles, I don't care enough to buy their beer.

#29 jrnyc, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Kevin89065 and Cubatobaco like this.
  10. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

I've never had a Lagunitas bottle without a legible date.

nc41 and jakecattleco like this.
  11. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kidding, right? Date is almost invisible, can only be seen in perfect light at very precise angle. Even then it is a menagerie of numbers.

12. timotao

timotao Pundit (960) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

I guess it's only Chicago bottles.

jrnyc likes this.
  13. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

From what I understand, based off Lagunitas' twitter feed, the 12 pack format is a holiday release but the beer itself is still year round (sixers/draft).

FWIW, the 12 pack box says 'Once brewed as...Brown Sugga Substitute', the bottle label doesn't say that.

#33 i_run_far, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  14. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great decision.... Freshness seems to be the key with this beer. I'm a huge fan but honestly I bypassed it simply because I couldn't find it fresh... Between this and Celebration, I'm all set!

15. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

It's legible. I've never bought Lagunitas beer without knowing the bottled on date.

16. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

They were a few weeks old.....

I had Sucks the first year and second year it was made and it was so good. The switch to 32 oz was not the same beer and since then the 12oz are not the same beer. I dont care what anyone says the beer changed....a lot. The first year was a huge cat piss of a beer as was the next year. After that it was not the same. It became syrypy and not a bright beer. I stopped buying it. Last year I found really fresh 12oz bottles and gave 4 away after being so underwhelmed.

I know tastes change but this was a recipe change. Again, I dont care what anyone says.

I hope this "new' seasonal batch is the old style. I do remember that part of the reason it was seasonal wax that the hops used were hard to get. If they were so hard to get how did the beed stay the same and become year round?

Enjoy

17. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

A couple of years ago I bought a fresh 6-pack of Sucks and that 6-pack tasted different to me as well. I don't exactly think I would use the words "syrupy mess" but maybe I would. That was the last 6-pack of sucks that I bought.

At the time I was thinking it was just an off batch but maybe you have something here concerning a recipe (or process) change.

Cheers!

18. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

If they can their regular IPA in 12 packs, that would be even better.

19. Junior

Junior Pooh-Bah (1,859) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Trader

So cat piss is a way to describe good beer?

20. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I concur with those that tasted different things, as I have had this beer many times over the years and each time it tasted differently (there were sometimes long stretches between me having it) and I just couldn't get into it, no matter what the taste at any given time.

The market is so crowded now and Lagunitas has too many similar beers so I think that this was a good move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.