New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

In my new job (brewery rep for Backcountry) I have driven by New Frontier 3-4 times in the last week, is it open yet? At roughly Kipling and Jewell, it many not be precisely "Green Mountain" but it's not far away...

2. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

It's been open for a long while, but the hours are totally messed up. I feel like it's open Thursday and Friday nights only.

Edit:
    Friday - 3–10PM
    Saturday - 2–10PM
    Sunday - 2–7PM
    Monday - Closed
    Tuesday - Closed
    Wednesday - Closed
    Thursday - 5–9PM

3. rikarmstrong

rikarmstrong Initiate (0) May 14, 2015 Colorado

I'm glad someone said what I was thinking.

I want to like Black Shirt, and I do still somewhat. But it's definitely amusing to see them change their tune on pretty much everything. I'm pretty sure I remember them early on bashing TV's in the taproom and the sports-watching crowd. Well guess who now posts about Broncos games every weekend...I also remember them complaining that the new light rail station was going right behind them, but they are definitely all about it now.

I still love the Saison and the Red Ale though.

Powell014 likes this.
  4. purplewindex

purplewindex Devotee (353) Feb 9, 2014 Colorado

Black shirt tried to open a restaurant inside their brewery before but got shit from the city. Rebel restaurant had a Kickstarter to open inside black shirt but then they got denied, thus making their own spot down the road. I wonder what changed.

5. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I rember eons ago enjoying their Winter Ale. This would've been mid to late 90s while I was still active duty. I think I even bought a shirt from them with the Winter Ale emblem.

6. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

My experiences with them were in the early 00's. I think the last time I was in there was probably 11-12 years ago. The beers were fine to me back then, but I have no reference point if that means anything. I loved CB&Potts in those days and I think they've held up fine.
    The atmosphere was the real issue at Ironworks. It always felt like the kind of place where someone was looking for a fight while someone else was about to vomit on the floor. A lot of places joke about being a dive, but they really were in the worse sense of it. I've talked to a few people who have been in more recent years and I guess it's still that way. No clue about the beers, though.

7. adamgnoth

adamgnoth Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

I went to Ironworks about a year ago. I never feared I'd get into a fight, but it came across as a divey dimly-lit rundown sports bar. It did not resemble a brewery in any possible way. That being said, I remember ordering the IPA and actually being shocked that it was pretty tasty for the type of place brewing it. I think we just live in an era where a brewery has to be very welcoming and friendly as well as brew really good beers.

Domingo likes this.
  8. Domingo

Pooh-Bah Society

I'd go back just to scope it out if it were more convenient. If nothing else, they're undoubtedly a Denver area pioneer. Back when they opened, you could count the breweries (discounting the multiple chain locations) in metro Denver on one hand. There wasn't really a blueprint for a brewery in those days. If anything, I guess Wynkoop, Hops, and Potts were the model.
    Once I moved away from Littleton/Lakewood I rarely make it back. I still haven't been to Caution West and I really like them.

9. adamgnoth

It is def. not worth going out of your way for.

10. Domingo

Pooh-Bah Society

Not completely new, but Call to Arms has expanded their tasting room to be about 50% larger than it was. They also have a ton of beers (including multiple BA sours and a fresh hopped IPA) on tap right now, too.

purplewindex likes this.
  11. SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter Aspirant (233) Jan 8, 2015 Colorado

Stretching the definition of "new" but I'm gonna be at the Great Divide Barrel Bar this weekend and curious what my drinking choices are going to be. My recollection of visits to the home base is they pretty much just have their regular line of beers available, hoping for a little more from the Barrel Bar.

Dan_K likes this.
  12. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm waaayyy behind as Arvada has two newer breweries I have yet to check out: New Image and Someplace Else. And with Denver Beer adding a location in A-town....

13. spoony

spoony Pooh-Bah (2,517) Aug 1, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

The visits I have had to the Barrel Bar have not been terribly different from the Arapahoe location, i.e., it is mostly the regular lineup with a seasonal or two, and two or three pilot/special offerings.

14. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

They typically have a few pilot batches on tap. Really enjoyed a dunkel (at least I think that's what it was) last year. Curious to hear about your experience and if they have anything unique/worth the trip since it's been a minute.

SpaceOtter likes this.
  15. SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter Aspirant (233) Jan 8, 2015 Colorado

So they had "The Smoothness", a bourbon barrel-aged dark lager, and Velvet Yeti, a 5% version of Yeti. Also Barrel-aged Hibernation, BA Yeti, BA Old Ruffian, 22 Anniversary Sour, and then about 10 taps of their regular line.

Ended up only being there long enough for 1 beer, I chose Smoothness, and I'm pretty sure I chose wisely (for me). It was quite good, strong barrel, not really a schwarzbier (what I was hoping for), so more of a dunkel I guess? Honestly it's tough to give much of an assessment of the base beer, it was just a vessel for the bourbon flavors.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  16. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

17. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Colorado

If its anything like the first Smoothness made a few years ago, that was part of the Jameson collab, its more or less Claymore.

The difference in beer selection between the two is pretty slim, and that usually has more to do with the Ball Park location just selling out of their "allotment" faster then the Barrel Bar does.

18. Domingo

Pooh-Bah Society

Velvet Yeti has been popping up at some bars in the area. Had some at Peak to Peak last week. I'm not a big fan of nitro, but it's good. No clue if it's a nitro version of Baby Yeti or something else entirely, but it has more flavor than most other mild nitro stouts. Apparently there's no packaged version at the moment.

19. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Colorado

They are working on packaging. From what I hear its close to what Baby Yeti was, kinda. BY was a 2nd runnings beer IIRC. Been a while since that was around, but that is what I THINK I remember

20. adamgnoth

I searched in this thread and didn't see anything about a new brewery in Golden I recently heard about. Anyone checked out New Terrain yet?

http://newterrainbrewing.com/home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.