Do You Participate in Your Regional Forum?

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by sharpski, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
?

How much time do you spend in regional forums compared to the worldwide forums?

1. As much as the worldwide forums

35 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Less than the worldwide forums

39 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. More than the worldwide forums

115 vote(s)
    59.0%
  4. I don't use the regional forums at all

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Premo88

Premo88 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,486) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

I use it less but should use it more.

My regional forum has a couple of very cool BAs who help keep tabs on major Texas craft beer news. They (and others) helped me a bunch during Jester King's Atrial Rubicite release this summer.

2. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

I do but I find myself checking the NW and Mountain forums as I think Idaho is an outlier without having a true home to either space. We are closer to the PNW than Denver as I don't think Utah provides much with their regulation. Plus more distro from Oregon and Washington than Denver.

3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, I use the Great Lakes. When traveling I look at the destination forum.

4. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,433) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As mentioned by others, I lurk in the region where we are traveling, and occasionally post. Great way to meet other BAs!

5. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I often check all US forums and a few international groups. I participate in the South Atlantic forum regularly. I like Beer News and Beer Talk the most.

Shanex and mactrail like this.
  6. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Living in the DC area, I have to check two forums, Mid-Atlantic (DC, MD) and Southeast (VA). Sometimes there is overlapping content. For instance, both have NoVa or DC area-type ongoing threads.

I check in from time to time (and participate occasionally), but generally the region is too broad to hold my interest for too long. A region covers generally what, 5 to 10 states? And often enough I find the discussion thread are about regions within the region (i.e. brewers I will not see anything from any time soon). Hell, the aforementioned DC-centric threads are an example of threads that people in FL probably don't care about. I find there are other outlets to get my even-more-local beer information to me (i.e. direct social media from breweries).

So, I tend to enjoy the more general debates on the "[inter]national" level and have really focused more on the social threads.

DoctorZombies and Shanex like this.
  7. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Savant (1,170) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The southeast forum is my main forum. I rarely go outside that forum.

8. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If I didn't participate in the Great Lakes forum, I don't know if I'd come to these forums at all. I find the Beer Talk forum pretty repetitive or too jammed with the same comments. I check out the Beer Release forum for things that are coming out nationally, but the Great Lakes forum is my bread and butter. I scope out the Midwest forum, too, as well as any other regional forum where I may be traveling (which sadly isn't enough nowadays).

9. kemoarps

kemoarps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,060) Apr 30, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Outside of NBS and reviews that's about the only place I go on this here site anymore

10. CreekOfTheDead

CreekOfTheDead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2016 Texas

The southwest forum is basically the Jester King and Prairie forum, but I feel like that has been the case for awhile. I still go to see what new stuff is popping up whether it be beers or new breweries.

11. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Pretty much only post in the regional forums.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  12. Shanex

Shanex Grand Pooh-Bah (4,466) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Regional Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You'll find me mostly in beer talk either WBAYDN or NBS, along with other broader beer discussion threads.

Occasionally I chime in in beer news.

Regional forum for me is Europe and it's a good place too, I did try to help a few people about their questions about the places I've been and the brews, but rarely participate. Because they are less active, not out of snobbery.

I'm interested in beer and food, and breweria too, lately.

DoctorZombies and Badfish like this.
  13. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

I check the Great Lakes forum to see if there's anything interesting being discussed, particularly anything I might have some experience with. I recently vacationed in Arizona and the Southwest forum was very helpful on suggesting South Rims Wine and Beer Garage in Williams, just down the street from where I was staying.

cjgiant likes this.
  14. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (1,191) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

Texas members so thoroughly dominate the Southwest forums that it's almost impossible to find New Mexico related threads so I almost never bother to look. I'm not complaining about the Texas members, their beer scene is much bigger than ours, it's just the volume of Texas posts makes it difficult to find posts from other states.

cjgiant, gatornation and sharpski like this.
  15. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's like this in nearly every regional forum; bigger populations dominate. We've considered adding prefixes to threads, wherein the user would need to select a state or regional prefix for thread sorting.

16. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would say start a new post in the SW forum and name it New Mexico Beer news and releases, that way folks with information will post/reply to this origin.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. rocdoc1

There is already one, but it's always buried by all the Texas posts, I may have to scroll through a couple of pages of threads before I find it.

18. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

You could try starting a new thread for New Mexico every month and include the name of the month. This seems to be working reasonably well in the Mid-Atlantic forum with posts intended to locals keep up with the latest developments at some of the favorite new and/or nearby local breweries. That way if you want to reference something in one of the old threads a title only search can bring up the old thread or threads you want.

F2brewers likes this.
  19. rocdoc1

Another good suggestion, but I ;live in the corner of the state with virtually no beer, it's hard to start a monthly thread titled "Is there any good beer in New Mexico?"

20. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Alternative topic suggestion:

IIRC you have some sort of "Ale Trail" in NM. How about "What's pouring on the New Mexico Ale Trail?" Or "Which breweries should or shouldn't be included on the "New Mexico Ale Trail?"

In either case you could stimulate discussion of what's good and not so good, keep the Texans at bay, and figure out what beers you should lobby for in your nearest bottle shops and bars/restaurants. Plus when you travel in state you'd have info about potential places to visit. A title search within your regional forum would easily allow you to find and revive the thread if it's gone quiet for a while.

rocdoc1, croush and SammyJaxxxx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.