What's your rarest or most prized bottle you drank on your own?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eppie82, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Zealot (575) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

Allagash Four. Here in Texas, not only can you not get any of their beers, but they - or any other beer - can't be shipped here either.

2. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Fuzzy and Balaton

eppie82 likes this.
  3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Pooh-Bah (2,419) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

Like some other posters on this thread, I also like to save any rare beers I come across for bottle shares. Before I started getting invited to them, I did drink a Westy 12 by myself.

4. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not entirely on my own, since my girlfriend had some, but she never drinks enough to really make a huge dent, so:

BCS Rare (OG)

Runner-up would probably be Prop '13

eppie82 likes this.
  5. Lucular

Lucular Grand Pooh-Bah (3,943) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

750 ml growler of Julius and a can of Alter Ego.

eppie82 likes this.
  6. starshockey9

starshockey9 Pundit (932) Jan 15, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I sometimes solo a lot but my most prized and well enjoyed would be:

2012 Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord on my bday
    2014 Vanilla Rye
    2010 Bourbon County Rare
    2014 Bourbon County Proprietors

eppie82 likes this.
  7. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I drank a bottle of Myrthes Eerste Plasje straight from the bottle and didn't share it with anyone.
    Ok, so maybe that didn't happen. In reality, I share almost all of my rare beers with friends but I occasionally will drink a beer from my cellar just by myself if the mood strikes me.

8. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Savant (1,046) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

For me the 2 that come to mind are Sunday Brunch - I got several bottles - shared the first few but then one night I just decided - WTF - N popped one myself, luved it. The other was sorta by accident. I was given a bottle of Alexander by Rodenbach. I didn't expect much as I wasn't a huge fan of Rodenbach up until then so I popped one on a random night but WOW ! Was I blown away by it. One of the best brews I've ever had.

9. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2012 Indiana

My wife and I got into craft beer together. Which means I never have a good, rare bottle by myself.

So, the rarest I had by myself was probably a Gumballhead.

Raj and Lucular like this.
  10. Vitacca

Vitacca Pooh-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In recent memory I solo domed a MOAS on christmas, a Huna this summer and a double barrel Derivation at SP Cellar.

11. PourMore

PourMore Crusader (428) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

I almost always save the really special ones to share with friends. Luckily, sometimes I buy more than one for the express purpose of enjoying on my own. My favorite so far might have to be Smaragd, the 40th anniversary brew for the Kulminator bar in Antwerp. It's a lovely barleywine (American style) brewed by Mikkeller at De Proef's facilities. You can only purchase it at Kulminator in Belgium. They are probably gone by now, as I heard there were only 1600 bottles. I have one left to share with a friend some day.

12. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Pooh-Bah (1,692) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The first time I drank Dark Lord I made a night out of it. Lit a fire in the fire pit, got a cigar and spent a few hours consuming.

Huna which was a gift from @tgates was a beer that I was afraid to open and looked at for sometime as I enjoyed looking at in my fridge. When I finally opened it up it I drank it alone but wished I had someone to share.

Finally another beer from @tgates was mornin delight. That one I was so excited about that I only kept for two weeks and opened it up the night before I went on vacation for a week. Wanted to start the trip off on the right foot.

I felt a bit of a loss after drinking each one as I think I liked the idea of having the bottle as much as I enjoyed drinking the beer.

tgates likes this.
  13. ebe2023

ebe2023 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2016 Illinois

That I own 15" Rare or Vanilla Rye. That I enjoyed on my own 2011 BCBS Coffee, had it last year while drafting a fantasy football team.

14. NeverMeant

NeverMeant Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2016 Arizona

I caught word a while back that a local restaurant had received a case of Vanilla Rye for sale, only to find out once I got there that it was on-premise only. Certainly didn't have any intentions to solo it before I heard that, but man was it good!

starshockey9 likes this.
  15. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Society and Solitude #8 from Hill Farmstead.

Brought a flip top 22oz bottle back from Vermont. Only had a few days to drink it before it went flat. Texted several of my beer nerd friends to share it, but no one was available and it had to be drank.

Got to say I really enjoyed all 22oz of that IPA. Gave it a 4.9 score. Sorry guys, I tried to share.

eppie82 likes this.
  16. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One of my very favorite DIPAs. I took down 2L growler of S&S #8 down by myself. Not a single regret. Only wish I picked up more.

17. skleice

skleice Maven (1,271) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

My wife does not drink and I'm mostly at home these days, so I tend to sip on top shelf brews all by my lonesome. I try to stick with quality over quantity and also try to avoid buying 22-25oz bottles if possible.

Have enjoyed many a BCBS on my own, rare sours, Treehouse/Trillium whales, Double Barrel Jesus, Michigan Maple Jesus, BA Ten Fidy, big Avery brews, etc.

Blutz likes this.
  18. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Savant (1,216) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

honestly as i think....I've shared all the big/hard to get beers. haha

Thinking.....I guess it would be Pirate Bomb? BA Bomb?

19. anfield86

anfield86 Pooh-Bah (2,594) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Founders CBS

(I had no idea at the time that it would turn out to be so rare)

NikkoE82 likes this.
  20. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

Nothing that rare, but some good stuff:

Trillium Vicinity
    Tree House Julius
    Tree House Single Shot
    FW Sucaba
    Heady
    Sip of Sunshine
    Barrel Aged BOMB!

Loved all of them and relished every sip! Was swerving from the Sucaba, hah. Gonna get me 4 bottles next time it hits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.