2016 BCBS Chicago Release (Black Friday & Beyond)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by croush, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This Friday at all locations.

2. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

3. vette-ss

vette-ss Zealot (673) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Not sure about IL laws, but in MI it's not legal to force a membership to buy alcohol, so no Costco card required.

funhog and blue-dream like this.
  4. vette-ss

vette-ss Zealot (673) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

You have any idea if either still have it on tap? Driving back from TC this evening, and it kicked at 7 Monks about 30 minutes before I got up here.

5. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

IL laws aren't as friendly. I've looked it up.

Most IL Costco's will look the other way if you try it, as I don't think it's a battle they really want to fight over a few bottles of Absolute, but for something saught after like BCS, it makes sense.

6. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Don't worry, there's more than enough great beer releases in this state throughout the year to make you completely forget about the BCBS hype. (Well... almost forget about it haha)

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  7. BEERschlitz

People that support a seedy "secondary market" are ruining what used to be a relaxing and enjoyable hobby for the rest of us. Hope you can sell the rest of your $50 bottles of Coffee and Prop :wink:

pjeagles, beerhan, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  8. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Interesting. I had it at the GI Black Friday tasting at the brewpub and it was a bit smokey with no pepper burn.

9. nsola

nsola Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

thanks guys, kind of sucks on a friday when you have a job wasnt last year on saturday?

10. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

I e-mailed Costco pre-black friday and they responded that a membership was required now to purchase beer or spirits. Last year I didn't need one.

11. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think you're right, and I wonder if it was like that at all Costcos. A friend of mine went to Costco in Glenview and said that they were only allowing purchases with memberships, and they were matching your membership number with allotment. Him and his wife each scored 4 regulars because they had different membership numbers. Last year I remember people posting that they were able to purchase a whole case without a membership.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  12. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Looks like it is off the list.

Last year I went back on Sunday night and had more 15 and a 13 BW. But they were packed this year. All gone.

13. thing85

thing85 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2012 Illinois

I believe it was Friday last year as well.

funhog and ChiCubs78 like this.
  14. t4haughton

t4haughton Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This site is supporting the secondary market. They've got an entire trading forum devoted to it. Should BA shut it down?

Trading makes beer currency. Rare beer trades for other rare beer. Otherwise you have to go over $4$ to make trades.

And I'm not selling or even trading a single bottle of my hard earned Bourbon County. I hate as much as the rest of you what's happened to my favorite beer. But we can't complain that the beer is both scarce and too expensive. It simply cannot be both.

SeanBond and prior2two like this.
  15. t4haughton

Trader

I'm sorry, I didn't see a question at first. If you're asking if I thought $40 was close to equilibrium for Coffee, I would say yes. I've seen it selling (or value-based trades) for up to $60. And yes, the guys at Goose have set the MSRP on Coffee WAY TF too low. It would still sell out at $30. They charge ~$30 and it still sells. If they have to set a purchase limit, it's a good indicator the price is not at equilibrium.

Nope, people passed on Rare because not everyone knows how or cares to flip beer and (This is the key) The attendees were limited to the people that Goose picked. If that line was open to the entire public you don't think somebody would have backed up a truck and bought a palette?

The secondary market is mostly irrelevant when you're talking about on-site consumption because the beer cannot become currency if it can't be sold or traded. If GI had allowed to-go bottles what do you think would have happened?

There were 500 bottles of Rare at LP Binny's this weekend. It sold out (at limit 1) before ticket #600. If it were no limit how far do you think those 500 bottles would have stretched? Doubt it would have lasted through the first 100 people.
    [/QUOTE]

16. t4haughton

Trader

Apple isn't taking a loss on hardware. They're a hardware company. They make a little money on services but they're the most-profitable company on the planet by selling iPhones with huge margins. Here's a statistic that's crazy to think about. Apple makes 92% of all the profits in smartphones. Not sales. Profits. Oh, and they do it while selling less than 20% of the handsets.

17. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What I would really like to see is this corporate view vs. get-off-my-lawn view argument stop. You want to buy it, buy it… if you don't, then don't. Must every BCBS thread devolve into this kind of discussion?

#977 eppie82, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  18. Bryan71

Bryan71 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois

Because it wasn't $80 per bottle. I'm sorry you don't understand simple supply and demand models. I'm done trying to convince you, because clearly you'll never get it despite others here trying to tell you the same thing. I'd use Prairie as an example and how it sat around this past year, but it would probably be pointless. Again, my offer stands, PM me if you want to pick-up that $129 Rare that has been sitting out there at a local liquor store. It should be a no brainer for you since you feel all things BCBS are under valued.

19. BEERschlitz

I disagree that trading has anything to do with sites like beerblackbook etc. I recognize certain beers have an increased value (BAA, DBH, etc) and do not trade $4$ (which is when you offer more beer or beer of the same rarity). I have done many many trades where both parties were happy to just share great beers that neither would have had access to otherwise. When I'm discussing a trade and someone brings up secondary market value right off the bat that is a huge red flag for me. They're usually not the right people to be trading with. Just my humble opinion of course.

20. t4haughton

Trader

It as $69.99 + tax (10.25% in the city). Prop day included tax. $77.16 vs $80 isn't the difference here.

I've got an Economics degree from a Big Ten university. What I'm explaining is that MSRP is not equilibrium. And it is because of the secondary market that exists for beer.

Every other beer sits on the shelf. That doesn't mean they're all overpriced.

GuyFawkes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.