Wisconsin Trip - Madison to Wisc Rapids

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by LeRose, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am heading to my second home again (UW graduate school and a lot of lengthy business trips) - usually I don't have much time to explore and this trip is no different. I'll be landing in Madison on Sunday night around 8:30 and heading up to Wisconsin Rapids. Thinking if any place is open I might pick up some beer to enjoy during the week. I know a couple stores in Rapids, but I'll be pretty late arriving and don't really know what the week will hold. Trying to plan ahead a little.

Any suggestions for places that are relatively easy to find in Madison that will be open, or am I wasting my time because of blue laws? I don't remember if beer is sold on Sunday in Wisconsin even with all the time I have spent there. Usually work kicks my butt and I just crash at the hotel...once I am at our plant, it is pretty much game over.

2. scream

scream Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    In Memoriam

They do sell beer on Sundays here. If you are around long enough you might run over to Central Waters brewing in Amherst. Taproom has limited hrs tho-Fri-Sun, check their website. It is a nice place only about 1/2 hr from W Rapids

LeRose likes this.
  3. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hmmm...looking at the timing, I'm probably headed to Woodman's! Hopefully can find a few beers from the area - don't like drinking stuff I can find in my own backyard when I travel.

Central Waters - good call there. Tough to juggle the hours - work... always getting in the way. Had planned to hit up New Glarus on a trip last year, left Rapids five hours after I wanted to so that didn't work out well.

VABA and HawkeyeBeerLover like this.
  4. scream

scream Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    In Memoriam

Woodman's will have just about anything one would want. They have a great beer selection. If there is any floating around yet grab some Lagunita's Born Yesterday Pale Ale. It is awesome even if it is not local to Wisconsin. One thing I have learned about Woodman's is to walk around the store and look, not just the beer area. I found Born Yesterday in the Green Bay store last wk by doing that. It was in one of the areas w stacks of wine in the middle of the store. A couple of cases sitting there on the floor.

LeRose likes this.
  5. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Vic Pierce is probably your best bet since there's a legal loophole that allows them to sell beer until midnight. Not sure on their selection but I'd imagine there'd be one or two local things of interest. All other Madison stores can't sell after 9, and the closest Woodmans to the airport (or all of them actually) close at 8:50, so timing would be pretty tight.

6. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I don't know if I'd call it a loophole. It has to do with their physical location that is in a different township, which allows beer sales until midnight. Wisconsin state law allows retail beer sales until midnight, liquor/wine sales until 9.

7. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Meh, if he's asking BA if there are sales on Sunday in WI, kinda doubt the terminology of an otherwise helpful post is being fact checked.

8. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

3 Floyd's should be hitting Rapids/Plover/Point area this week. Twice as much inventory as last time. Zombie Dust and Alpha King are must grab. Should be some bombers too. Richards is a relatively new Liquor Store in Rapids worth checking out.

9. Beernerds

Beernerds Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Texas

Hey y'all, looking for some advice for this weekend in Milwaukee and Green Bay. We've got a crew coming up from Houston (9 guys total) for the Texans-Packers game. Flying into MKE Friday, driving to GB Saturday morning-ish. After perusing this board (and the other one), and asking around elsewhere, here's our tentative itinerary. Would appreciate tips for the openings, and if you think one of our choices sucks, let me know.

-Friday afternoon drinking in Milwaukee: place to drink near Lakefront Brewery? We're staying at a hotel downtown.
    -Friday dinner: Lakefront fish fry
    -Friday night drinks: Palm and/or Burnhearts
    -Saturday brunch en route to Green Bay: Sobelmans
    -Saturday midday drinking in GB: suggestions? Titletown, Hinterland, Stillmank, Leatherhead?
    -Saturday dinner and football on TV: suggestions? Any of the aforementioned brewpubs if they have food and a good TV setup. Or 1919 or Ned Kelly's? I'd say the priority here is the TV setup for football, then food (nothing fancy, the fried stuff will suffice), and then the availability of good beer.
    -Saturday late night drinks: totally open here. Guess a good tap-list would be the main thing, but we probably won't be too picky after a long day.
    -Sunday pregame: Brett Favre Steakhouse all-you-can-eat/drink tailgate. We did this 8 years ago the last time the Texans were in town, so we want to run it back for posterity/simplicity/location.
    -Sunday postgame food/drinks: open for suggestions here, too. One of the taprooms we missed, as long as they have food? Something else?

Thanks a lot.

10. MilwaukeeNintendo

MilwaukeeNintendo Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Wisconsin

The Lakefront fish fry is good, but you can probably expect a 30-45 minute wait for 9 people. Stubby's is in walking distance to Lakefront and has 53 beers on tap, decently priced and always something good. Finks and Bel Air are also in walking distance, but Stubby's is probably your best best. A little further down is Brady Street, lots of smaller bars, fun people watching. Enjoy Milwaukee!

Beernerds likes this.
  11. Beernerds

Thanks @MilwaukeeNintendo ! We're gonna be a way smaller crew for the fish fry, since most of the crew arrives later that night or Saturday morning. Think we'll give it a shot. Someone else also recommended Stubby's, so may swing by there before or after dinner. Cheers!

12. Beernerds

@MilwaukeeNintendo Thanks again for the recs. The fish fry was awesome -- great food, great atmosphere, impressive beers. And Stubby's hit the spot for sports bar/taplist hybrid. Cheers!

13. MilwaukeeNintendo

MilwaukeeNintendo Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Wisconsin

No problem @Beernerds glad you enjoyed Wisconsin! Sunday probably wasn't as fun, assuming you are a Texans fan :slight_smile: Maybe you can convert to the Packers...

Beernerds likes this.
  14. Beernerds

I'm not a Texans fan and I had the Pack laying the points, so no complaints here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.