Beer-Barrel Aged Bourbon

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jvgoor3786, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alucard6679

alucard6679 Pundit (997) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Bourbon doesn't have to be made in Kentucky. Has to be from the US though, along with a few other regulations regarding aging and the mash bill.

2. alucard6679

Sourced whiskey doesn't necessarily mean bad whiskey

drtth likes this.
  3. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

No.

4. oldbean

Ah yes, the source of so many fine craft whiskies... Midwest Grain Products.

http://www.mgpingredients.com/alcohol/beverage/

It's not quite clear from their website but it seems like New Holland is using a blend of their own distillate and sourced whiskey, of which MGP is a very likely source. And despite the impressing you might get from the name, MGP isn't cranking out rotgut, their whiskey is generally quite decent.

PapaGoose03 and drtth like this.
  5. oldbean

6. 57md

57md Grand Pooh-Bah (3,009) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've had the Jameson Caskmates which is aged in barrels that have previously contained a batch of whiskey followed by a batch of Irish micro-brewed stout. It was tasty with chocolatey and stout notes pleasantly accentuating the sweet whiskey that is indicative of the Jameson brand.

I would certainly try a bourbon aged in Dragon's Milk barrels for a price of $30-35 without blinking an eye.

7. deleted_user_373835

deleted_user_373835 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2009

All I can say is I brought the Beer Barrel Aged Bourbon to a Monday Night Football gathering at a friends house. Bunch of Scotch and Bourbon drinkers. They all went out shortly after and bought a bottle or 3. Can be hard to find when you are looking for it as not all liquor outlets carry it.

8. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For practical and historical reasons whisky shipped from Bourbon County, KY, down river to New Orleans captured the attention of consumers nationwide and by the 1840s Kentucky Bourbon had become the leader not only in production but also innovation in the Bourbon industry. The Silicon Valley of it's time.

From the earliest days though Bourbon style whisky could be manufactured anywhere in the US.

drtth likes this.
  9. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not at all, anymore than contract beer is inferior. MGP makes what is arguably the best bulk whisky in the country and have been doing that for a good many years now. Their basic Bourbon and Rye formulas, developed back in the 1950s when Seagram owned the place, are in fact World standards in their own right.

Interestingly, they are also the country's largest producer of vodka and are so efficient at it major producers like Beam, Barton and Heaven Hill bottle MGP vodka under their own labels. They can buy the stuff from MGP cheaper than what it cost to make it themselves.

10. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

I do know that they used to use others Bourbon, if they did start distilling it themselves I will pick up a bottle

11. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing. Why does it matter to you whether they distill and barrel age the spirits into Bourbon themselves, following the laws governing the use of "Bourbon," or they source the Bourbon and then put into their beer barrels in adding their own final flavoring touches to the Bourbon?

12. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

It is not a huge deal for me as I only occasionally drink Bourbon, but I like the idea to be able to buy a straight made in Michigan Bourbon.

It ha been several years since I even had a bottle in the house, but if this Bourbon is fully made in Michigan I will grab a bottle

Edit, thier website states they still source others Bourbon

Base/Wash
    Bourbon sourced at 110-115 proof

drtth likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

This bourbon has a fairly wide distribution, so take a look and you might find it in Pennsylvania.

14. alucard6679

Not to mention places like High West, Smooth Ambler and all of the great independent Scotch bottlers. I've noticed a lot of people get hung up on terminology. The way I look at it there's good whisk(e)y and there's bad.

Squire likes this.
  15. 57md

57md Grand Pooh-Bah (3,009) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I checked the PLCB website and found that it is available via a Special Liquor Order that I can place at my nearest state liquor store. I'll let you know what I think of it.

drtth and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. 1beerbaron

1beerbaron Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2009 Ohio

Have you hung around with craft beer drinkers before?

SeanBond likes this.
  17. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Sure, as well as Bourbon drinkers and Single Malt drinkers.

18. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For what it's worth, there's a decent amount of bitching in the bourbon world when a distiller doesn't give out information about the source of their bourbon. Brands like Michter's get a lot of shit for not being honest about their stuff. People are pretty serious about the origins of their liquids!

drtth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.