Equilibrium Brewery

Discussion in 'New England' started by IDONTWANAPICKLE, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidsoul

Davidsoul Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

Disagree. This board can ruin things fast and permanently. See also: new-to-craft NYU grad students who buy all the Grimm.

2. taestee

taestee Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

Happy holidays! I'm gonna drink another beer!

ericdavidmorris and SeanEDPBK like this.
  3. psychgawsple

psychgawsple Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 Oregon

Hype is ultimately a very good thing for breweries (obv) and has started to put a lot of newer NY breweries on the map. This gatekeeper mentality (and anger at NYU students for some reason) is insane... I understand getting pissed at mules chasing trucks and buying cases of rare / hard to find beer or w/e, but it is some entitled bs to imply that others are not worthy of access to the same passion that you regularly pursue.

Great / unique local beer should not be something you have to dig around in the dark nether regions of BA to find, spread the love and be decent to other beer lovers and we'll all be fine imo.

4. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Pooh-Bah (1,815) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Even more great beer being brewed in NY with the addition of these guys yet people somehow find a way to complain about it. Baffling

Nickwierda likes this.
  5. dar482

dar482 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,039) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm getting an attitude of "Me me me. I hate that people hype breweries so I have a harder time finding the beer for myself."

Hype is hype. Choo choo, onto the hype train. I'm glad more people are excited about craft beer than ever. It is what it is. (shrugs)

6. IDONTWANAPICKLE

IDONTWANAPICKLE Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2015 New York

I find this to be the exact opposite of what I like in the beer community.I don't want to keep beer all for myself, I enjoy sharing it with others. For the record - no I'm not a friend of the brewery or doing "it" somewhat sketchily. I just happen to stumble across a beer that I thought much my community would want to try if they knew it existed.

Good beer will sell period. If you brew it, they'll come. That is sort of why I think, to an earlier point, there are no secrets anymore - especially given social media's effect on pop culture.

7. schambach

schambach Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2015 New York

Had a couple pours of mc2 last night. It's a very nice beer, but a long way from treehouse.

8. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Tree House is my response to this. All those who want to see Equilibrium turn in to Tree House raise their hands.

BTW, before you answer, keep in mind that Tree House started by distributing kegs, just like Equilibrium does now. So if you don't live close to Equilibrium, and are part of this hype machine, you might want to consider that Tree House has expanded, still has long lines, and hasn't distributed any beer in years.

Oldladyfingers likes this.
  9. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Zealot (729) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Had MC2 again at Marta today. The bartender asked how we knew about the beer, and brought out their beer program manager Corey. Super friendly staff, incredible pizza, and their draft list is uncommonly awesome for a place with such high quality food (and full menu at the bar). Highly recommended.

10. ingchr1

ingchr1 Zealot (560) Jun 4, 2008 New York

Picked up a 32oz growler of Mmm..Osa today at DeCicco's Brewster and I must say it's quite good, not to mention it was only $8.99. Saw several other folks getting some and they all seamed to like it as well.

I gave my wife a try of it and she said it was confusing, like a beer that wants to be a juice.

11. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2016 New York

This is a thing?

12. Timmush

Timmush Pundit (907) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

Will the brewery be open before New year's?

Fahmie25 likes this.
  13. NewmansOwn

Bro that's like next week.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  14. cebern

cebern Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2015 New York

I had both mc2 and Fractal Mosaic earlier this evening and agree completely.

HeyLady and schambach like this.
  15. JoshVelez

JoshVelez Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 New York

MC^2 is awesome, glad I was able to find it multiple times on draft. No keg differences noted that might have not just been lack of clean lines at some bars or even badly stored kegs. Like my friends in the industry say, you'll be surprised how your favorite bars treat their kegs.

Don't like the treehouse comparison cause frankly I've had ton of beers that tasted similar. MC^2 doesn't hide the 8% abv on it as well as others have done. That being said something can be said about their beer being sold cheaper at each location I went to compared to the dreaded Grimm prices on draft. Overall this brewery is incredibly knowledgeable in their craft from a techniqually and statistical aspect which will almost assure quality over and over again. Something we all should be excited about

16. frozyn

frozyn Maven (1,411) May 16, 2015 New York
    Trader

For those of you who do think that MC2 is not at a Treehouse level, is there anything specific about MC2 that makes it lesser? Or is it just a general feeling that the beer isn't quite as good? Never had any Treehouse myself, so interested to hear the differences.

17. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Zealot (729) Jun 8, 2016 New York

I've met quite a few people in the business (bartenders and beer buyers) and fellow drinkers who just object to comparisons because they limit how you understand a specific beer- rather than on it's own merits, the beer is good vis-a-vis other beers. And, as you point out, if someone hasn't had these other beers, the value of the comparison can be pretty much nil.

JoshVelez and rozzom like this.
  18. Timmush

Timmush Pundit (907) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

Yes. When are they opening

19. schteve

schteve Pundit (770) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

FWIW, their website says "Early 2017".

Timmush likes this.
  20. NewmansOwn

Picked up a grolwer of MC2 at Milk & Hops, drinking it now. Its got an awesome tangerine color and taste to back it up. Fantastic mouthfeel. I've never had any Treehouse so I can't compare, but if people say this cant compete, I must be missing out. This is really good, what make Treehouse beer "better"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.