Troon Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by Streaky, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

In Hopewell, NJ.

http://www.troonbrewing.com/

Anyone been? Looks interesting. Definitely a lot of haze in the pics I've seen of their beers.

2. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Zealot (661) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Ryty410 likes this.
  3. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

It was getting confusing in that other thread because half he posts were for Troon and the other half were for Referend. As I've stated in the other thread, Troon makes very tasty beer. He's off to a great start. Just wish he had a tasting room, although he bar in the tavern is nice and does flights.

Ryty410 likes this.
  4. chrisgeb

chrisgeb Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 New Jersey

Deserves its own thread. Was there yesterday for the first time and the beers were excellent. Excited to drink more from here in the coming months.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. beertoro

beertoro Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

So how does this work? Do you fill up at Troon but you actually get to try the beer at the Tavern?

I saw the menu and it had the generic names and I know the Troon owner said he's working on getting that issue fixed... but do they do a flight at the tavern?

I'm hoping to go within the next few weeks but am really curious.

6. DrStiffington

Pooh-Bah Society

Yes the bar does flights but they don't always have the newest beer . They do let you have very small tastes in the brewery itself just to try before you fill up.

7. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

Stopped in on Saturday and was very impressed by the beers. The strong ale was the only low point and it wasn't really a low point, just something i didn't care for.

Got a fill of the sweet stout w/coffee & cinn and plan to consume it tonight. Looking forward to visiting again.

I enjoy that there is now Troon/Referend/Conclave all within a short little distance as well as a favorite NJ winery of mine, Unionville.

I encourage anybody reading this who hasn't yet to make a Saturday of the area and get your visit on!

8. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Maven (1,310) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey
    Trader

When you say strong ale, I assume you mean Migratory Tentshow? Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy that one, I rather liked it. Reminded me of a blended fruit juice. Lots of pineapple, orange, banana, guava, type flavors happening.

I happened to grab a fill of the Clown Paint 2x coffee and cinnamon yesterday as well. Really excellent. I enjoyed it a lot more than the no cinnamon version I had a week prior.

DrStiffington likes this.
  9. digdug1810

yeah i guess that was it, with the names not being on the menu at the tavern I can't say for sure but that was probably it.

yeah my problem wasn't with the flavors just that it was of little to no carb..

Tavern was cool.. sure i'd rather just be able to enjoy a flight or small 4/6 oz pour at the brewery but the tavern was nice. I can see as though this will be a issue in the future however because come spring/summer if things get busy there just won't be the capacity to have a smooth experience like i did this weekend. That'll be a good problem for them to have but i figure it'll be something we'll read about in the future.

The IPA's and sweet stout were dialed in though for sure. Very good for having just opened and that will lead me to going back. After all it's the liquid that we are after, the other ancillary stuff is just that and can be adjusted.

10. WheelsPSU

WheelsPSU Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New Jersey

I thought Working Retail was real good and Migratory Tentshow was good but not worth driving an hour for. However when I finished my growler of Working Retail I was pining for more. Good stuff, albeit a touch boozy. Really looking forward to trying some of their other offerings

SammyJaxxxx and DrStiffington like this.
  11. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Zealot (558) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

Yea I've been wanting to check this place out for a while but it's a solid 1hr15 ride for me. I'd prefer it being at the brewery too, but if the food is good I guess the tavern isn't the worst thing in the world.

SammyJaxxxx and digdug1810 like this.
  12. digdug1810

yeah you can also stop at conclave and the referend (they are only open 2 saturdays a month at the moment)... Vault brewing is also pretty close in PA and if they are allowing can reservations now and begin to pump some more releases out then you have a nice lil area with more then 1 thing going on

SammyJaxxxx and DrStiffington like this.
  13. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,617) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

James is working towards every Saturday + some growler options. To echo your other point, he is less than 10 minutes away from Vault

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. WheelsPSU

WheelsPSU Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New Jersey

I was going to stop at Conclave when I went to Troon but FYI,Google Maps has it at 25 minutes away. Only 14 miles though. Darn should have done that!

15. DrStiffington

Pooh-Bah Society

I've done it twice now. An easy 20 minutes from one to the other. That's not too bad. Definitely worth it.

HopBomb515 and digdug1810 like this.
  16. digdug1810

yeah they are all within 25 miles and i think around 30 mins in regards to vault/troon/conclave/referend & unionville

DrStiffington likes this.
  17. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Zealot (558) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

And then there's the hour+ drive home...

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  18. DrStiffington

Pooh-Bah Society

That's why you either bring someone like a wife who drinks less or like if I do multiple breweries alone I either only do can/ growlers fills and run home or maybe to a flight at one and pick up fills at the others. There's always a way!

19. irycu

irycu Aspirant (264) Oct 7, 2015 New Jersey

I went on Saturday to Brick Farm, after I stopped at Conclave, and got a flight. Working Retail was great and I think it was Migratory Tentshow that I thought was the best one but I think either the bartender or myself screwed up the ordering of the flight and I was unsure if that one was Tentshow or the wheat IPA. For that reason, I got a growler of the Working Retail and my only gripe was the amount of foam that remained after he filled it. I forgot that and didnt drink it until yesterday (Tuesday) and the beer was undoubtedly flat and was a shadow of the beer I had at the tavern. I get it, hes small and saves beer that way, and the beer was still great and drinks much lower than 10% but I was disappointed.

Ieatlambfries likes this.
  20. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Maven (1,310) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.