Hopslam 2017

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Wolfhead, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Grand Pooh-Bah (3,400) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

N. Myrtle got it today, thanks for the reply

2. bscottd

bscottd Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 New Jersey

I paid $76.31 for a case at Shangy's in PA.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

This was just posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum:

"Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting, PA has six packs for $25...this was on their beer menus page dated 1/24/17."

Cheers!

4. bscottd

bscottd Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 New Jersey

$71.99 $76.31 was with tax. 4/6pks

5. kmengemann

kmengemann Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 New Jersey

NYC?

6. mikeydoesit

mikeydoesit Aspirant (262) Sep 25, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sorry, I was referencing a post above about Pennsylvania, perhaps I didn't clarify in my reply.

7. kmengemann

kmengemann Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 New Jersey

No worries, thanks.

8. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Trader

It was last year, at least Southern California. As for the beer, it was average at best, so many better available IPA's in so cal, maybe not brewed with honey, but maybe honey shouldn't be in an IPA.

9. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

$18.99 a six pack at one store and $23.50 at another about 15 miles away, here in South Central PA.

10. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Hop Slam didn't make to Norcal and I do agree with that there are a lot of better IPA's here in Cali that goes without saying most of the time.

Brolo75, Rbarnes4381 and kwakwhore like this.
  11. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Maven (1,413) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

I agree with the California posters. Even on the east coast there are better IPAs easily available and more reasonably priced.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  12. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2007 Virginia

Picked up a six today in Virginia Beach . Was $19 at whole foods and $22 at TW . Packaged 1/17/17 . Maybe it's not quite as good as I remember it but still real tasty . Very drinkable , doesn't taste like 10% . I probably won't get any more but I got my fix .

Cubatobaco likes this.
  13. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Pooh-Bah (2,057) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Same here, Larry! It's not as good as I remember, but I attribute that to the over-hopping of the beer world over the last few years. Our palates have been destroyed! I'm getting ready to have my second of this year. I'll report back. I just finished a Broz Night out from The Veil, so I'm probably numb to the flavor.

It's still a great time of year when I see it on the shelf!

Maltytasker likes this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It's not the retailers gouging it's the distributors. One step leads to the next, it's really not worth the retailers to play this game I'm sure for a few cases of a seasonal release.

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A year ago this beer got me into DIPAs. And I didn't even have an IPA in my top 15 beers at the time. Let's see if it still works on me the same.

[​IMG]

16. BobGNARley352

BobGNARley352 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2015 Florida

Its going for $18.99 per 6pack, or 4.19 per can here in Central FL. I didn't think the 6pack price was that bad as they charge that much for a few of their other special releases. We only got one case at my store too

Harrison8 likes this.
  17. Grupatre

Grupatre Zealot (578) Sep 13, 2014 Michigan

Maybe in North Carolina the distributors gouge but in Michigan the retailers all pay the same....

18. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The 3 tier systems has its warts that's for sure.

19. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Stumbled upon a place with tons of this so picked up a sixpack.
    Just as terrible as I remember....

20. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sorry Jack - I meant to reply sooner. I'll have to give back the gold star because I wasn't thinking of beer blending, but rather, a deliberate mixing of raw ingredients... such as hops harvested at the same time but from different areas, or hops from one area harvested at different times. In keeping with your Sierra Nevada example, beer blending isn't just limited to year round beers. I recall that Celebration is blended for consistency. Not being a single hop beer probably helps Celebration maintain some consistency in the face of harvest changes. The "fresh hop" approach probably adds a layer of challenge but not to the same extent as a "wet hop" beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.