Jackie O's (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Zealot (591) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

They were in the Public House only. I happened to peek into the fridge behind the counter and saw them. I was then informed they had a couple cases left down there. Trust me, I was super surprised as well, I had assumed they were all gone.

oldmetalguy, Sabtos and HomelessDrew like this.
  2. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

Just bottles, we would have to buy another canning line to just do our sours. Since we do not kettle sour, we need separate rooms/tanks/packaging equipment. Glad you like it!

Bretts545, SABERG, JohnnyMc and 4 others like this.
  3. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (1,042) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I wondered why you guys didn't can the gose. Now I know!

Tifore and gilligantrips like this.
  4. Stefko

Stefko Zealot (688) Dec 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Just had the new batch of Oro for the first time, and damn that was disappointing. It's one of my favorite JO's beers and it was just not good

5. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

The first batch was so hot it was almost intimidating to try. This last batch was full of spices but no pepper heat. They know what the issue is and I suspect the next batch will be much better. Just hope this didn't go into barrels :flushed:

6. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

This most recent batch was the 3rd bottling I think.

I'm not sure which batch of it I had on draft last summer, whether first or second, but I loved the heat in it.

7. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

Here is my response from a month or so ago concerning the new batch of ORO. Also, ORO is not put into barrels. BBOIL is treated post barrel aging to present a bright and impactful spice character.

Oro is still developing on some levels. Cinnamon levels were always a concern from customer feed back. We have been slowly dialing the cinnamon back each time. Seems like this recent batch was too soft. The lack of pepper heat came from using a local pepper farmer. His stock was not as potent as what we were buying from the local grocery store chain. Lots of variables to take into account with this beer. I appreciate the discourse and feed back. Touch more cinnamon and heat next time for sure! Oro is also a very complex beer so I take all positive and negative notes equally always striving for the most balanced and dynamic beer possible.

8. tepie

tepie Crusader (466) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

These are all alternative facts! My facts tell me every Oro on its own is still a premium stout. I'm guilty of complaining and comparing too, but if I were to have had each batch blind, I'm sure I'd love each round pretty equally. My scale puts all of the batches over a 4/5, so I'll try and stop complaining and be happy that I don't have to drive 4 hours to try Oro any more.

NABS likes this.
  9. lftwng4

lftwng4 Crusader (497) Oct 12, 2007 Ohio

I had the second batch on tap on a whim, and was stunned by the roller coaster ride of flavors. Bought only a couple bottles, wish I had bought more. Subsequent batches haven't struck me the same, although I'll stand by my claim that it's the best beer I've had to date.

10. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Pundit (803) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Call me the antichrist, but I'm REALLY enjoying Oro on tap right now at the Beer Engine. I've never been a huge fan of the hot/peppery side of Oro so I really like this latest batch.

Josbor11 and Swettenham_Shire like this.
  11. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

cinnamon >>> peppers

NABS and TonyLuvsBeer like this.
  12. PJ_

PJ_ Zealot (626) Nov 13, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Antichrist

13. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

It was probably my favorite run so far personally.

14. Tifore

Tifore Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2010 Ohio

First and only year I've had it and I enjoyed it.

15. jampics2

jampics2 Pooh-Bah (2,340) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Polycephaly 1 & 2 out now at the taproom. 2pp/day.

Polycephaly I 375ml // 12.6% abv
    A fusion of bourbon barrel aged barleywines, a Belgian quad, and an imperial stout to create something astounding. Rich notes of raisin, toffee, dark sweet cherry, vanilla, and chocolate
    $11.99 // 2 per person/day [40 Cases]

Polycephaly II 500ml // 6.5% abv
    A fusion of sour reds and sour browns, each component ranged from 1-3 years in the barrel. Oak malt, tart jabs, and a funky backbone formed from the complex blend of wild yeast. A balanced interpretation of both east and west Flanders tradition
    $17.99 | 2 per person/day [70 Cases]

These will be at the Winking Lizards over the next few weeks (1 is already showing up at some). No to-go sales from WL, unfortunately.

JohnnyMc, WesMantooth and marcus23 like this.
  16. scubastza

scubastza Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Ohio

Available today? I thought their posts on FB and instragram said Friday @ 11:00a...

17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Grand Pooh-Bah (4,820) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't forget the part about the dragons:grinning:
    [​IMG]

18. WesMantooth

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fri is what Twitter post said

19. jampics2

jampics2 Pooh-Bah (2,340) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, my bad, thought it was good to go since WL was already selling it. Tomorrow at JO's.

scubastza and WesMantooth like this.
  20. WesMantooth

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just had Poly I and II at the taproom. Both are excellent, but 2 really hit the spot for me today. Solid, sharp bite, but not overwhelming sourness. A lot of oak flavor comes through along with plenty of dark fruit flavor. Highly recommend trying it

Yaoverstand, beace, zbodnar1 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.